Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I've recently started flying lessons at Cambridge Aero Club, and since I've found these forums very helpful in figuring out where and how to start (e.g. MSGr's thread about costs), I thought I would say hi!

After having occasionally thought about giving flying a go for over 20 years (I'm now 38), but never really having the time / funds / motivation to start despite a glider trial flight and a microlight trial flight many years ago, I finally got in touch with Cambridge Aero Club back in September. I was told that the way to start was to book a trial flight, so that's what I did. 2 weeks later, on the day of the flight, the weather was not cooperating so we had to reschedule for the next available slot - which was a couple of weeks later, in early October. Of course, that day came around with a nice foggy morning, and it was postponed again - and then again - but eventually near the end of October, it finally happened! It was actually quite a gloomy day (overcast below 2000ft) but was quite fun flying just below the clouds and even over some scattered patches of cloud. I hadn't actually even thought of the weather being a big factor when I first booked the trial lesson... the way things turned out, it was probably the best way for me to learn an important lesson, get used to being happy with flights being postponed days or even weeks, and have the right expectations for the future!

The instructors and staff at Cambridge were all really helpful and friendly, which encouraged me to start booking lots of lessons - although I quickly found that there was quite a busy calendar and it was tricky to find a slot with a free aeroplane and instructor less than about 3-4 weeks out. I decided to learn on C152's since the school had 3 aircraft and they were a bit cheaper than the C172's, even though I am quite tall I can fit in the C152 OK.

I managed to get my first lesson booked in just over a week after the trial and had a great time learning Effects of Controls, although all of the associated pre-flight steps on the ground were quite overwhelming - checklists, radio calls, transponder, taxying, engine checks, instruments, etc (especially since the school C152s have Garmin G5s as well as the traditional analog instruments). That, together with the purchase of the various Pooley's flight training books for the theory, really put into perspective just how much there is to learn!

Since then I've had 3 more lessons, doing Ex 6, 7, 8 and 9, plus a taxying lesson (and about the same number of lessons cancelled - I'm expecting tomorrow's to be called off as well as I seem to have a habit of booking in the middle of storms). I do enjoy what seems to be a very steep learning curve, as there's always something new to try, and lots to remember for next time - no doubt some things become a bit more "automatic" and require less conscious thought as you get used to them, but I'm not at that stage yet! I guess most people here will have had similar experiences in their early lessons, so I thought I would give a quick list of some of the things I have learned so far that I probably wouldn't have figured out by myself:

- Taxying has more to it than I thought! I'm getting used to steering with my feet now (difficult coming from a car) but still haven't got the hang of keeping the yoke in the right place depending on whether going upwind / downwind / crosswind. I know the theory but actually figuring out which way I'm pointing relative to the wind is hard enough, then actually making sure the yoke is in the right place while steering round corners with feet is even harder!
- This might seem obvious to others - but when I got the booklet of checklists, I incorrectly thought I would have to memorise them all, and started to attempt to do so! Things became much easier in my second lesson when my instructor told me I should just take the checklists into the plane and read them as needed.
- I am aware that the instructors are handling most of the radio stuff during the flight - at the moment I occasionally pick up what the tower is saying (generally to other aircraft) when in flight, but I think it will take quite a long time to get used to the phraseology and be able to listen / understand while doing other things
- There are little recessed handles on the top of the coaming of the C152 that you can't see, but can grab onto to make it easier to adjust your seat
- The mixture control has not only a push button to adjust it, but is also threaded so you can turn it for fine adjustment
- I've had 3 instructors already (my first one got a new job and had to leave after the first lesson!) and it's interesting to see the differences in approach - especially the different suggested minor variations to the printed checklists which they don't always agree about - but all have been very good.
- There seems to be a lot to learn for the theory tests... however I seem to be able to "pass" the mock exams on PPLTutor most of the time for the books I've read so far (Air Law, Meteorology and a couple more). I haven't tried AirQuiz yet, but might do. Not sure how realistic / broad coverage the practice questions are compared to the "real thing", but I guess I have plenty of time before needing to do any exams.

Anyway, that's turned into quite an epic - time to stop! Really looking forward to the next few months of lessons, can't wait to start trying circuits... and thanks to all whose posts on this forum have helped encourage me to take the plunge!

Eric
Milty, UncleT, T6Harvard and 7 others liked this
Cambridge, I didn't train with them, is by and large a decent club, though what they did to a friend when a student there was pretty unacceptable. But for a run of the mill student they are a safe choice.

Enjoy every moment, don't race to get to the 'end' there's nothing to be gained and lots to be lost.

Rob P
Milty, ericgreveson, Nero liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Eric - welcome to the club! Great to see another newbie experiencing the same as the rest of us (overwhelmed; joy; weather frustration; achievement; overwhelmed again etc.)

Great to see another taller bod in a C152. I can fit OK and am happy to save a few quid through the learning process, then do a couple of familiarisation lessons once qualified to enable me to take a few more folk up in a C172.

If I can offer some advice from my side, your instructor is likely to know best and assess your skills and capabilities, but try to get into the radio sooner rather than later. I fully agree that at first, I couldn't make any sense out of it at all but in time, it starts to become second nature. My instructor is very keen on making radio just part of the learning process so it is a natural progression as you learn. Of course, he's there to jump in if you mess up or just say "I'm not ready to make that radio call yet" and he can take over but just try a few. I made myself up a little prompt page for my kneepad where I'm prompted to write the ATIS information. I've also written the 'standard' radio calls that I need, e.g. first call with full callsign, location, ATIS info, QNH or QFE, request taxi and so-on. It's helped me to have this as a memory jogger but over time, I'm needing it less and less. It's a good comfort blanker for when you have a brain fart though. Your calls maybe different as I'm not sure if you have full ATC at Cambridge or not. I've heard and seen examples of some students who are not allowed to use the radio until later on in their training and adding in this new task seems to send them backwards. I'm sure it works for some and I don't advocate a full intro to radio, but just starting with 'G-MT, downwind tough and go', hearing the permission and then confirming with 'report final, G-MT' is not too taxing. I also listened to a few podcasts or youtube videos whilst commuting of people doing circuits or lessons and just hearing radio calls helps with familiarisation.

As @Rob P said, don't rush to the end and enjoy the learning. I've been very fortunate in general with the weather and am probably ahead of where I thought I would be. I'm equally as comfortable if it slows down a bit (as will my bank balance and SWMBO).

Prepare yourself for highs and lows - enjoy the highs, learn from the lows but put them behind you. Look forward to sharing your journey as part of the class of 21/22 and beyond.
T6Harvard, ericgreveson liked this
Cambridge is full ATC part of the time and calls to traffic the rest of the time, particularly weekends. But it's a fluid situation.

Rob P
ericgreveson, Milty liked this
By UncleT
@ericgreveson Welcome to this forum and to your new obsession: I can tell it's becoming an obsession already from your lengthy post, which gives away that you are spending probably all of your spare waking hours thinking about it and yearning for the next lesson! Long may that continue.

As you will know if you have been following posts on this forum, there may well be occasions when things don't proceed as smoothly or quickly as you hope, but stick at it and it'll all come together.
T6Harvard, ericgreveson, Milty and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Welcome Eric!
Good to see another student enjoying the experience. You will have already gathered that learning to fly is addictive :mrgreen:

There will be highs and there'll probably be less fun times as you progress quickly then progress more slowly for a few weeks, but it's all flying and it's all Amazing*.

You mention studying so I'd suggest you may want to look at EasyPPL Groundschool https://www.easypplgroundschool.com/
Excellent online course notes, very up to date course material, very similar standard and style to the current CAA exams. They include progress tests throughout, and mock exams (the algorithms allow them to throw up different questions each time you take the mock, for approx 7 or 8 sittings, I believe).
I also found it invaluable that all questions have an 'explainer' which you can read whether you got the question right or wrong.
I've used the resource prior to sitting 4 of the CAA exams so far and passed them all with room to spare.

Finally, you will find a bunch of folk on this thread who will offer helpful advice and encouragement because they already know, and you are finding out, that flying is fantastic.

*this not what I always say after a lesson :lol: :roll: but today I met up with friends and we looked at the photos I took from 1,000' above the snow last week, having taken off (and subsequently landed :D ) on a snow-covered runway. I mean, come on, that's always going to be one of the highlights of my life.
Milty, UncleT, ericgreveson and 1 others liked this
Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions, there are some great ideas in here!

Rob P wrote:for a run of the mill student they are a safe choice. Enjoy every moment...

Hopefully I'm a run of the mill student then! :) I am currently finding the learning process one of the most enjoyable parts - I don't have a specific "goal" to finish by any particular time, and I have a feeling that if and when I do get to the 'end', I'll want to start the next bit of training! There seem to be plenty of ratings etc available to learn...

Milty wrote:try to get into the radio sooner rather than later

Agree that this seems like the best approach. The instructors have been getting me started with the calls on the ground so far (information readback, taxi clearance, etc) and I think your idea of writing a "cheat sheet" on the kneeboard is something I will try. As mentioned by Rob P, the calls at EGSC are different on weekday vs weekend which is probably why I was a bit confused (first two lessons were on the weekend hence no ATC).

UncleT wrote:I can tell it's becoming an obsession already from your lengthy post

Ahem :oops: rumbled

T6Harvard wrote:you may want to look at EasyPPL Groundschool

Thanks, will check it out!
T6Harvard wrote:photos I took from 1,000' above the snow last week, having taken off (and subsequently landed :D ) on a snow-covered runway

Sounds epic! Yet another thing to look forward to :)
T6Harvard, Milty, Rob P liked this
By Milty
UncleT wrote:@ericgreveson Welcome to this forum and to your new obsession: I can tell it's becoming an obsession already from your lengthy post, which gives away that you are spending probably all of your spare waking hours thinking about it and yearning for the next lesson! Long may that continue.

I wonder if there is a link with obsessive personalities and flying? It’s certainly my new and latest obsession and I hope one that lasts - it’s so much fun.
Last edited by Milty on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcal, UncleT, T6Harvard liked this
T6Harvard wrote:
You mention studying so I'd suggest you may want to look at EasyPPL Groundschool https://www.easypplgroundschool.com/

100%. The app is not enough - one of our local students came second in Air Law last week after using only the app. Not much of a sample size but he said there were things on the exam which weren't in the app. Not fun failing first exam I should think. I did use the app as a backup and it's ok for a braindump but any questions which involve understanding and adapting need (IMHO) EasyPPL. Only danger is like me you may over study but that's never hurt anyone.

Oh - and YouTube for theory. Awesome resource. Even a US kids' programme for some weather stuff I couldn't get me noggin around :-). (And it was on the exam!)
ericgreveson, T6Harvard liked this
Try not to think of the ground theory subjects as hurdles where getting a pass is enough. You really do need to know most of this stuff (or at least to know that a topic is important and where to find out about it). So a proper understanding is going to be useful to you in your flying career. You get to understand the importance of much of the theory as your practical lessons progress and you can see it in context.
Mz Hedy, T6Harvard, Rob P and 4 others liked this
Eric,

keep flying and keep learning. I'll keep my eye out for you as my house is just below where most light aircraft turn from base to final for 05.

Regarding checklists, find ones that suit you (and the aircraft) as it is easier to remember where you got to after someone interupts, which they will. Also, the start up and pre-flight checks, try to memorise them by all means but always go through a printed version thoroughly before flight. You can read any number of accident reports where a pilot thought they did all the ground checks but maybe got interupted or just forgot one. Then bang, all the fun is over.

Do try to memorise some of the inflight checks though as you don't want to be reaching for a checklist while trying to control the aircraft in poor conditions. Get everything off pat in good conditions then they are second nature when/if things go wrong or are particularly difficult. Engine failure at 1500ft or in circuit is not the time to go for that checklist in the map pocket.

Just my thoughts from my lessons so far.
@FlyingBoot thanks - I've never actually been down the runway in that direction (always taking off / landing on 23 so far) but maybe we go near your place on the way out anyway! Memorising some of the in-flight checks is a good point, especially the emergency ones.

Had a good 6th lesson this morning (10b, stalling) despite having to spend half an hour sweeping the accumulated frost off the wings before going anywhere! Lovely clear day with some high cloud and light crosswind, the first time I've had a flight in such smooth air. Feeling much more confident with the pre-flight checks, radio calls, taxying, take off briefing etc. now, having done them a few times. I've now done 2 landings as well (albeit with the instructor telling me when to do flaps etc on approach, and I think he was helping out with the rudder as we landed as well). In the previous lesson, I kept forgetting carb heat before throttling back, and was "flying it on the trim" a bit too much, but those were both sorted today. Main issue that I noticed today was that when we were flying slowly (e.g. preparing for flapped stall) I wasn't using enough rudder to balance - another thing that's easy to forget until glancing at the balance ball.

One more lesson booked in this year (on Friday) although looks like the weather probably won't play ball for that one... looking back, I think I've had good weather (no cancellation) for about 50% of the booked lessons so far, which seems about right given I started in October. Overall, very happy with how things have gone so far and looking forward to starting the circuit soon - even if I do have to wait for the new year!
Rob P, Milty, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this