Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

If it's to avoid infringing controlled airspace, I normally get the QNH from their ATIS. Saves speaking to anyone or waiting my turn (though admittedly I do have to wait for the QNH to come round). Are there CTAs that don't have an ATIS providing the QNH? Bournemouth, for example, seems to have ATIS on 133.730?
Rob P liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
YorkshireMatt wrote:
From reading this thread, it seems people prefer to just listen in rather than actively request a BS.

Listen unless talking is going to benefit someone.
In early stages of flying that benefit may be radio practice/confidence
In later stages it becomes things like a courtesy to ATC if you are passing through airspace they actively use (e.g. vectoring area, approach, departure routes, etc); or if it makes your life easier (e.g. I might need to talk to a unit for a zone transit, I might as well take a basic service 15nm in advance, then they know I'm coming and the transit can be planned well in advance); or in some areas it is useful for things like knowing if paradrops are active and danger areas are cold etc.
lobstaboy liked this
The approach I have taken so far is to always be asking: what is most likely to get me?...and to make my radio choices as appropriate.

Once beyond the confines of my home airfield, I will typically switch to and listen in on local frequencies for whichever notable airfield I'm passing - as the thing most likely to get me is another aircraft.

If I'm in the vicinity of Gatwick, I'll set a listening squawk, as the thing most likely to get me is an infringement.

Otherwise - and for the most part - radio turned down slightly and I won't talk to anybody, other than myself...often at great length and in my own head. I'm not travelling fast enough or far enough...or close enough to CAS to need regular updates on QNH.

The only exception is that at certain times of day/year and when heading in certain directions, I might ask Farnborough LARS for a traffic service (if they're not busy) as the thing most concerning me is a low sun and subsequent reduced ability to see conflicting traffic.