Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Thanks @Paul_Sengupta and @skydriller, of course, I will do my research. I'm painfully aware of the state Australia is in lately, given the amount of hoops my Australian partner had to jump through to get back to her own country recently and a not insignificant amount for myself to visit, I wouldn't be surprised if aviation is bogged down by similar levels of beaurocracy.

low&slow wrote:bear in mind that the additional time in your log book might tick off any instructor/examiner/CAA person totting up your hours for the grant of a licence.

This does indeed confuse me, is it just because it gets a bit harder to actually tally the UK hours up? I suppose I can appreciate that, the difference between just taking the total vs having to do a diff between different logged hours in different states. Still, seems a bit silly.

I'm not too fussed about logging the hours anyway if I do end up flying while there, I doubt I'd do more than one or two if at all and I'm doing it all for the experience with no urgent need to build up "logged" hours. So if I do end up in doubt about the value of logging I'll probably just skip it. Writing it up in the logbook without jotting down the times seems like a good compromise.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jcal wrote:I'm not too fussed about logging the hours anyway if I do end up flying while there, I doubt I'd do more than one or two if at all and I'm doing it all for the experience with no urgent need to build up "logged" hours. So if I do end up in doubt about the value of logging I'll probably just skip it. Writing it up in the logbook without jotting down the times seems like a good compromise.

Do not compromise!! @Flyingfemme has it when she says that your logbook is your personal flying diary. It is of course up to you, but I would log your flying in Australia - I cherish looking back at some of the flights I have done in my logbook - my first flight with my GF/partner, a tour of Malta, landing on a "road" in the NW territories, Raduno's, my first "bapteme" flight...

Regards, SD..
T6Harvard, jcal liked this
My flying in Australia is logged in the same book as my Ireland flight and my UK flying. I never dreamt for a moment of doing anything else.

Who cares if they don't count for your PPL? You won't do it in 45 hours anyway, the fact you have (say) six oz hours logged just makes you a more competent newly-minted ppl

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
skydriller, T6Harvard, jcal liked this
@jcal Where in Australia will you be based (you can PM me if you think it appropriate). I spent 15 years living near Bunbury in WA, so have a good idea of the best places where you can get some lessons overseas.

I would definitely do it if I were you. The CASA syllabus is very similar to the CAA, so no time in the air will be wasted. Stick it in the same logbook and there's no reason why you can't 'claim' it as dual/PUT flying although, stupidly, it probably won't count in the dual hours required for your CAA licence.

All my flying is in my CAA logbooks, even if replicated from FAA and CASA logbooks.
jcal wrote:
low&slow wrote:bear in mind that the additional time in your log book might tick off any instructor/examiner/CAA person totting up your hours for the grant of a licence.

This does indeed confuse me, is it just because it gets a bit harder to actually tally the UK hours up? I suppose I can appreciate that, the difference between just taking the total vs having to do a diff between different logged hours in different states. Still, seems a bit silly.

It stems from the tutting I received after logging a single flight outside of the school during my training. YMMV.
@low&slow

I think that's a single bad experience that you can forget. It's your logbook and your flying. If you want to do a legal flight outside the school's compass that is absolutely your concern.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulSS wrote:@jcal Where in Australia will you be based (you can PM me if you think it appropriate). I spent 15 years living near Bunbury in WA, so have a good idea of the best places where you can get some lessons overseas.

I would definitely do it if I were you. The CASA syllabus is very similar to the CAA, so no time in the air will be wasted. Stick it in the same logbook and there's no reason why you can't 'claim' it as dual/PUT flying although, stupidly, it probably won't count in the dual hours required for your CAA licence.

All my flying is in my CAA logbooks, even if replicated from FAA and CASA logbooks.

Thanks for the offer @PaulSS! I'll be based in Melbourne, so a bit of a ways off I'm afraid. If you know anything around there I'd be happy to take your suggestions!

My partners dad happens to be a retired controller, so might be able to reach out to his contacts about it.

low&slow wrote:It stems from the tutting I received after logging a single flight outside of the school during my training. YMMV.

Fair enough, I appreciate the warning! I'll mention my plans to my FI and see what he says but I'd be very surprised if he was anything than encouraging. I've got nothing but support from my school so far.
Rob P liked this