Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By musmuris
Hi,
Just started learning and figure getting the class 2 medical done early before I spend all my money just in case.

Looked online at the CAA for the list of places to go, but of the two near me neither have availability. The other is flyingmedicine.uk which are further away, but seem to have loads of spaces but also cost a bit more. Has anyone used them at all?
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Some years ago when I was an AME (I am now retired) I went to a meeting at which Dr Nomy Ahmed (who seems to be the AME behind the flyingmedicine website) gave a talk. He seemed pleasant and competent. If you say where you are based you might get some more recommendations.
meznas liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Whilst finding an AME you can do worse than registering with the CAA for a Cellma account.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us ... er-portal/

You make an appointment with an AME but the application form you have to fill out on the CAA website (they also require you to pay 8 quid)

The AME will get your application off the system and do the examination as well as running through the answers you have given on the health questions.
meznas liked this
By musmuris
Dodo wrote:Some years ago when I was an AME (I am now retired) I went to a meeting at which Dr Nomy Ahmed (who seems to be the AME behind the flyingmedicine website) gave a talk. He seemed pleasant and competent. If you say where you are based you might get some more recommendations.

Thanks.
I live on the Cambridgshire/Hertfordshire border.
By Micromouse
If you are happy to travel to Elstree I can PM you the contact details on the one I use.

Wayne
By PeteSpencer
There are very few now in E Anglia: My AME in Cambs. jacked it all in this year.

There's one in Cambridge but he's not very good at replying to communications .

Can PM his details if you want to take the risk.

Good luck.
By musmuris
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going to one in Watford ( https://www.flyingmedicine.uk/ ) so now have the class 2 for a couple of years at least.

I emailed the one in Cambridge but they didn't have any availability (which is a shame as the prices looked a lot cheaper!) and that once above had an easy online booking. Whole thing was quick and easy, but at £200 + 80 for an ecg.... not a cheap hobby!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Milty
@musmuris you got what you needed and paid the price that was available to you but judging by the price that I paid and the feedback from our learned friends, I reckon you paid above the odds. Mine was £191 all in. ECG was itemised at £30.
By PeteSpencer
musmuris wrote:Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going to one in Watford ( https://www.flyingmedicine.uk/ ) so now have the class 2 for a couple of years at least.

I emailed the one in Cambridge but they didn't have any availability (which is a shame as the prices looked a lot cheaper!) and that once above had an easy online booking. Whole thing was quick and easy, but at £200 + 80 for an ecg.... not a cheap hobby!

My 'new to me' AME a coupla months ago said his all singing all dancing auto-ECG machine had picked up something on my ECG (turns out it was normal-I have always been given copies of my annual -till recently- ECG) and it had to be reviewed by a cardiologist at local hospital.

Kerching! another £90! :roll:
By musmuris
@PeteSpencer The guy I saw said that this wasn't a normal ECG, this was a CAA ECG where they turn up sensitivity to max. And yes, mine also went to a cardiologist too. That was only 50 though. And he said it would most likely be absolutely fine, and it was.

But as I said, it was quick and at short notice and painless so all good. And at 45 hours flying minimum (and I will need more I'm sure) it's not the largest item on the budget!