Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TrickyWoo
Hello fellow aviators!

I flew from Enstone to Thruxton today for my LAPL QXC and it went well. Things I lernt:

- the course seemed at times quite undefined...can't really put a finger on it but it seemed a little vague and required faith to proceed. However...it all (inevitably?) came together as it progressed and it 'just worked'. I suppose it must do or we'd be statistics but for example the exams especially started to gel and I don't think there was anything extraneous in any lesson or exam. Quite something and I wish we could replicate this at work!

- FI's get Properly Nervous and I don't know how they do it sometimes. It's interesting to think of the stress they're under sending students off to the wide blue stuff hoping they come back :D As ever in the UK the serious stuff is backed up with humour - sort of 'serious fun' if that makes sense - but that also adds to the overall 'journey'. Awful word 'journey' but it does for once seem appropriate.

- I started in July and can remember hearing a young student talking with his FI in the briefing room about 'well we could divert to Bristol' and 'yes I agree we'll route to x and talk to Brize MATZ for a hopeful transit' and now I've been doing that. What an amazing thing to do - looking down over the snowy Cotswolds, communicating with RAF ATC and looking down at C17s on the apron. What a privilege. Ending the para here before an Old Man gets emotional.

- OHJ - frankly I'm still working it out but for me eventually I've just had to fly and plan it ahead then ask on the radio and listen in. It works but it's taken some ad hoc decision making which in the end was part of the fun.

- Everyone has been friendly, encouraging and had good humour. Sometimes minor errors could have led to major ones or risks and these were corrected following 'robust advice'. Again - it's the whole learning experience perhaps especially at a later stage in life when we're used to things being done Our Way which makes it so rewarding.

I'm in a syndicate now with a Cheetah and PA28 so there will be many opportunities to make more new friends after the imminent test.

Good luck fellow students :-)

-
Rob P, T6Harvard, bladerunner911 and 2 others liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TrickyWoo wrote:I flew from Enstone to Thruxton today for my LAPL QXC and it went well.

Well done!!

I'm in a syndicate now with a Cheetah and PA28

Please, please, please, make sure you get some type conversion time with someone that genuinely understands how to fly Grummans.

This is honestly super-important. No offence, but if you land a Cheetah the way many, many pilots land PA28s, it won't be long before you're in a group with just a PA28.

You'll love the Cheetah, but please don't underestimate the importance of landing it properly.
It's not permitted to fly the Cheetah until many more hours have been flown than the 32 I currently have. The syndicate is run by pros and I'll just be goosing about in the PA28 whilst gaining a PPL and NR then IR(R) next year. For now I'm v. happy chuntering over the Cotswolds. (But thank you for the advice re nose wheel and probably other areas I'll need training on)
TopCat liked this
By GrahamB
@TrickyWoo Well done, you start feel like a real pilot once that one’s under your belt. You’ll also find the Cheetah much, much nicer to fly than the PA28 once they let you get your hands on it.

I can only endorse what @TopCat has said, and also point you towards considering joining GOPA, the Grumman type club. There is a healthy European Region membership with a number of local gatherings each year, plus an annual ‘big one’ which is being held in Krakow next year.

(I could also mention that I’m GOPA approved to deliver their ‘Pilot Familiarisation Program’ for pilots new to the type, but it would be rather immodest of me to do so, so I won’t :) )
TopCat, ArthurG liked this
Thank you - from what I've seen the wee Grumman certainly has a healthy fan base. I was taken up on some circuits and it felt a little 'tighter' than the Arrow and Cherokee so all to look forward too. (I'm still grinning about the chats with the RAF earlier - they're certainly keen to talk when one's hurtling towards the Zones with unwarranted haste!)

The real pilot bit - massively - when walking back AZLN and knowing he/she/xhe was all mine to get back. Just the two of us and what seemed like half the RAF :D
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:(I could also mention that I’m GOPA approved to deliver their ‘Pilot Familiarisation Program’ for pilots new to the type, but it would be rather immodest of me to do so, so I won’t :) )

I ought to get you to check me out some time. Not even kidding.
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:
GrahamB wrote:(I could also mention that I’m GOPA approved to deliver their ‘Pilot Familiarisation Program’ for pilots new to the type, but it would be rather immodest of me to do so, so I won’t :) )

Whilst it would be great fun to fly together, I’m not sure I could teach you anything!
Literally still grinning! Was awake at 04 to 06 thinking about Boscombe MATZ then fast change over to Thruxton radio (and OHJ) but I called for PPR (and FI called for weather) and they gave advice on the phone which made it work with a noddy pen map over the PLOG for the circuit.

Leaving Thruxton on the taxiway there was a plane in front and I was there, you know 'tum te tum what's this is it me what have I done oh blimey' and he (think an FI) said 'we're just power checking so if the PA28 behind would like to proceed' and it all just comes together. Nice people being nice is my take. What a thing to be able to do :-)
Danny, T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By johnm
Great to read this, it’s a serious milestone since having confidence in where you are going is critical skill in flying and until you’ve done it on your own you really don’t understand what a big deal it is :thumleft:
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Power90
A fantastic read, sounds like a great day for it all to come together.

As it happens, I think I was holding for 26 hard when you returned to Enstone, as I recognise that registration. Small world this flying business!
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
TopCat wrote:

Whilst it would be great fun to fly together, I’m not sure I could teach you anything!

I'd be very surprised indeed if you couldn't. Even more so if you didn't spot something I should improve.
By TrickyWoo
Power90 wrote:A fantastic read, sounds like a great day for it all to come together.

As it happens, I think I was holding for 26 hard when you returned to Enstone, as I recognise that registration. Small world this flying business!

Ah - yes, I motored down 26 to vacate at Echo soon as poss :-) Hopefully see you at EFC (if you're One Of Us). Or you could be at OSF (and be One Of Them :D)