Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Spence94
So I thought I'd start my own learner thread like many others, mostly because there seems to be a ton of knowledgeable people on here and I can guarantee I will need their help/advice down the line so seems easier to ask it on my own thread rather than hijack someone else's!

So basically I've always wanted to be a pilot, I was always the annoying kid on the flight begging to see the cockpit, always wanted to be a Fighter jet pilot if I'm honest (Dad was a big top gun fan and so by association, so was I) however not being blessed with 20/20 vision was always my 'ah well I wouldn't be able to do it anyway '
or so that's what people told me

About a year ago I finally started looking into commercial aviation training and obviously immediately from google you get bombarded with the L3 harris page of pay £80k plus and get a guaranteed Pilot job
So I thought great.. way too expensive but my other half got me a trial flying lesson at Blackpool
There the instructor told me about the modular route and how he did it and is now flying for Jet2 when he isn't instructing
straight away started looking around but then covid hit so it got put on backburner

Now another year down the line I Finally said screw it and I'm now learning at Barton
I've had 4 lessons so far (3 with my current instructor and trial flight with a different one) and absolutely loving it. I like to think I'm taking naturally to it as my instructor keeps saying so and we're now onto ascending and descending on my next lesson having done basic controls and straight and level flight in the previous 2 lessons

anyway enough ranting, finally happy to be fulfilling a childhood dream before life gets in the way of it. If I can turn it into a career then that would be amazing but if not then at least I can still fly as a hobby and no doubt still enjoy it :)
Rob P, Milty, bladerunner911 and 3 others liked this
By Rob P
Yes., Keep the posts coming.

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good luck whichever path you choose and I'll say to you what I've said to many others. Do not see the training as a means to an end, but an end in itself. That's important because there's always something new to learn either about the type of aircraft you fly or about the regulations that govern our activities or gaining a new rating....
Milty liked this
By flyingearly
Welcome @Spence94 and good luck with the training!

Bear in mind you're starting things up at the soggy, grey and miserable end of the year (although I appreciate some of the best flying days are in Winter), persevere through any weather-related cancellations and look forward to sunnier lessons in Spring.

Also, great time of year to inspire some Christmas present ideas.

Keep us updated with your progress!
By Milty
Welcome @Spence94 from a fellow current student. Similar sort of story to mine apart from I truly have a wonky eye and so cannot fly commercial.

Enjoy the forum. It's a great place to pick up some tips but always remember, your primary learning source should be your instructor. That said, I've picked up a few gems from the guys on here and had questions answered that you only really think of in reflection after the lesson. They're a great bunch to pick you up after a poor lesson and keep your spirits up. They're also not afraid to call a spade a spade which I think is a positive thing too.

Look forward to your future posts!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Good on you @Spence94, go for it.

If you love it now just hold on to that feeling because at some point (circuits :lol: ) you'll probably plateau for a few lessons and slightly lose the love. It'll come back though, in buckets full.

I've struggled through much of my training to date, am no natural, but honestly it's an amazing thing to be doing!

Please do post lesson reports and questions. You'll get advice and support from experienced folk on here, and we'll all share in your triumphs. That's what keeps us going.

So welcome!
Harleyatrix liked this
By StratoTramp
Yep best of luck (mostly with the weather!)

Enjoy. I find learning to fly rarely feels like "learning" though maybe I'm not trying hard enough. :lol:

Though have read all the Pooleys pilot manuals cover to cover and dipping back into them now and then for specifics.
By T6Harvard
Speaking of studying...

May I recommend the online resource, EasyPPL Groundschool?
https://www.easypplgroundschool.com

I read Pooleys but beware some are out of date (esp Air Law), then I took the online courses above. There are progress tests as you go and mock exams at the end. Definitely gives a good idea of the sort of questions you'll get in the exams, and the material is top notch. It's also good to identify any weak areas for some concentrated effort :D
By Milty
I’ll echo a bit of love for EasyPPL but have to declare I’m yet to take any exams yet (maybe tomorrow if the CAA have got round to enabling my exam account). Actually, that’s another point - register on the CAA portal asap and request the exam and medical service as soon as you can. It’s done and out the way then.

I’ve found the learning process on EasyPPL with tests and exams very useful so far. I’m a little concerned that once you’ve done the exams and your monthly subscription on that topic lapses, you can’t refer back like you can with a textbook. That said, for things like air law and ops procedures, I think most of the day to day relevant stuff is in the Skyway code (also worth a read if you’ve not done so already). Other subjects I’m yet to get a feel for whether I will need to refer back once I’ve learned and practiced things like nav, met etc.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Spence94 wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes & feedback guys really appreciate it :) next lesson is next weekend so let's hope it stays clear

Not this weekend? It's looking good this Sunday.
By Milty
@Paul_Sengupta :lol: :lol: Not the same condition I’m afraid. That was walleye, not wonky eye :lol: