Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Managed to get up today. :mrgreen:

Sackville > Fenland > Deenethorpe & back.

Navigation - spot on :thumleft: not bad for fenland.

Radio - ok, went through Witting MATZ.
was too early to have a chat with connington & fenland

But my god my circuits were Carp, Fenland too high didn't get in. We arrived before they were open so no QFE settings but they are more or less at sea level so QNH should give you a feel. Didn't eyeball it right.

Went onto Deenethorpe. Turned to early onto final :lol: wonkiest final ever, leading to a rough touch and go. Should have just gone around.

Sackville landing ok.

I think I would have got the two start ones right on the second go. But it's funny what a break does to you. :cyclopsani:

I may upload all this rubbish to YouTube for laughs as I still enjoyed myself. But really.... pull it together man. :lol:
By Paul_Sengupta
I don't suppose it makes you feel any better but the stars and planets seemed to align this Sunday and Monday (took Monday off) and I did five greaser landings in a row (if you can call a row three on Sunday and two on Monday). Flew coast to coast, to Llanbedr on Sunday, with a stop at Shobdon on the way back for a sandwich, and Beccles on Monday. I like what they've done with Beccles and the toasted sandwich and salad were lovely! After flying back from Beccles I drove to Wales so I was nearly coast to coast in one evening! :cyclopsani:
mick w, StratoTramp, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By lobstaboy
Five weeks off is a long time as a student. It's how it goes, just keep on moving forward ;)
Fenland QFE is the same as the QNH (4feet below sea level I think) so you can't use that as an excuse!
I'm not surprised you misjudged Deenethorpe. It's huge runway messes your perception of height and distance if you haven't been there for a while.
It all sounds par for the course...
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
@lobstaboy

Worth a try :wink: yeah no excuse for fenland.

@Paul_Sengupta

Tbh other pilots having great landings makes.ke happy :lol: well done!

Was a fantastic morning for flying. Did a 12km hike after just to stay outside :lol:
By T6Harvard
Oh thank you @StratoTramp , you've made my dog's dinner yesterday seem normal :lol:
I'd not flown for just over 4 weeks. My first Base leg I cut in so the Approach was wrong. I DID call a go-around because the only way to get low enough in time would have been side slippping and I can't do that!
I am the Queen of go-arounds so it was a no-brainer :mrgreen:

Glad you had great landings @Paul_Sengupta . Sounds like a fab 2 days!
StratoTramp liked this
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:I DID call a go-around because the only way to get low enough in time would have been side slippping and I can't do that!

Seems to me a simple way to speed up progress would be to train sideslipping and save the time (and money) of go arounds. After all the Queen of go arounds is not needing of further practice. :D

Surprised your instructor's not picking up on that. :?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Miscellaneous wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I DID call a go-around because the only way to get low enough in time would have been side slippping and I can't do that!

Seems to me a simple way to speed up progress would be to train sideslipping and save the time (and money) of go arounds. After all the Queen of go arounds is not needing of further practice. :D

Surprised your instructor's not picking up on that. :?

Brand new Instructor. He had read my training notes (heaven knows how he found the time, although some lessons may well have been summarised with a few pithy words!) but I doubt he even thought about me needing to do a side slipping exercise. Good point though, I could do with learning, and after the first hair raising ones I reckon I'd enjoy it :lol:
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
@T6Harvard seems logical to add slipping to your toolbox . A bit high and stick in a slip to sort it out before it becomes unrecoverable. That gives you more opportunity in the hour to perfect your landings (yeah, as if that ever happens for anyone :wink:). :thumright:
T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
I was actually being a bit economical with the truth... From going through and editing the video... Just remembered I didn't have any flap down to about 1/3 through final at Fenland. :roll:

Nose up at that point to slow down, and get both stages down. Probably about 150ft high at threshold in the end :lol: was totally abysmal. But yes side slip.

A morning of being behind the aeroplane and forgetting things. :lol:

Even had to think a sec about the names of the blimming circuit legs!Pl
Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Don’t mean to seem like I’m revelling in your experience, but thanks for sharing. Nice to know we’re all in this club together.

I love the phrase about being behind the plane. It describes the feeling so well. I remember my first few lessons were like that. Then I seemed to get in front for a few, then behind again and last one felt in front again (most of the time, apart from calling downwind on final). It still blows my mind to think one day, I’ll be up in the air, flying about without someone sat next to me. Can’t wait, but equally not rushing.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp liked this
By JAFO
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Flew coast to coast, to Llanbedr on Sunday, with a stop at Shobdon on the way back for a sandwich, and Beccles on Monday. I like what they've done with Beccles and the toasted sandwich and salad were lovely! After flying back from Beccles I drove to Wales so I was nearly coast to coast in one evening! :cyclopsani:

You should have told me that you were coming to Beccles, I'd have popped in and bought the cake this time. :thumright:
By Paul_Sengupta
StratoTramp wrote:Probably about 150ft high at threshold in the end :lol:

I was deliberately 300ft over the threshold at Llanbedr on Sunday. People were using 35. That's a long runway and you turn off at the end. You don't always have to touch down at the start of the runway. I remember once I flew into Lee on Solent. If landing towards the south, my general modus operandi was to keep it airborne until near the end where you turn off. I did that one day at an event, and was then told to backtrack to taxi off the other end! Doh!

JAFO wrote:You should have told me that you were coming to Beccles, I'd have popped in and bought the cake this time. :thumright:

Ah, another time...I shall be back!

T6Harvard wrote:Glad you had great landings @Paul_Sengupta . Sounds like a fab 2 days!

I've used up my quota of good landings for the rest of the year now.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By StratoTramp
@T6Harvard Here if you want a laugh. First landing would have been ok if the airstrip was 150 feet higher.

Also sorry to @JAFO the number of times I say plane and airplane is ridiculous - :roll: "must try harder, F- see me after class".

Still I don't know why but its really hard just to speak in front of a camera!

T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
@StratoTramp , believe me I am in no position to laugh at anyone. I'm going for the World Record most hours flown before solo. The thing is, if I set the hours really high I'll hold the record for years, right?

Good to see though, kudos for posting. It's easy to think all students whizz through the first few hours and Bingo, it's all easy thereafter. I think that puts people off if they need a little longer to keep consistency.
StratoTramp liked this