Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I cancelled my skills test today as TAFs and METARS were showing Drizzle and fog in the areas of my Nav this morning.

CFI accepted, actually said nothing, we just rebooked for a couple of days time

was it the right decision? Things cleared up later, but I wasn't booked for this afternoon.

Wayne
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By riverrock
If you weren't sure that you would be able to do your planned task - you were right to cancel - good decision. I'm happy saying that without glancing at the weather.

Worth knowing, that some examiners have been known to turn round and say "good decision - we'll try it anyway, and if we aren't able to complete that part of the test we'll do the rest and complete that part later".
It does depend on lots of factors though (that is probably not appropriate for all).
By TopCat
I would usually cancel with the TAFs showing widespread drizzle and fog. And that's today, after 30 years and about 1200 hours.

Both of those probably mean low and/or variable cloudbase and rubbish vis. I might possibly take off, have a look, maybe pootle round the local area for a bit, but for a flight that will inevitably be high workload, no way.
Micromouse liked this
By ROG
Have a look at the American AOPA safety videos--on u tube. particularly those relating to weather. Basically stories of flights that don"t end well.
Particularly good videos which show whole flight including all the radio xmits.