Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hello,

Does anyone have any idea of where I can find the acceptable nose gear oleo strut extension for the C152? The C152 PoH seems to make no reference to this with the exception of -
"NOSE GEAR SHOCK STRUT – Keep filled with MIL-H-5606 hydraulic fluid and inflated with air to 20 PSI. Do not over-inflate."

Of course, it's quite hard to eyeball the pressure on a walkaround.... I believe I could notice an overextended or low oleo, but cannot define the correct extension!

I seem to have "A fists width" in my head, but no idea where I got this from or if this in paper anywhere!

Any rules/methods of reference in the PoH I have overlooked would be appreciated!

Thanks!
The aircraft should stand level to the ground, a noticeable nose down or up would indicate incorrect pressure. My own observation only and not to be confused with absolute! :D
Then wrap your hand round the shiny bit and remember what it looks like!
Fastair and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Had similar with pa 28 last year, walking over it was noticeably nose down and just didn’t look right.

Oleo, I could see the fluid had been leaking think it was a seal but plenty of shinny bit when it got fixed was only about 2in diff but made all the difference to its stance. There is a joke here somewhere.

Far from expert, I’m not even a good novice but agree with the comment about sitting level as a sigh it’s ok.
Fastair liked this
I don’t have a C152 POH to hand, but it should be in there in the preflight inspection section. For example the PA28 states for the nosewheel

Approximately 3.25 inches piston exposed under static load

Some owners/maintenance organisations like to add a bit to that to protect the prop from incompetent pilots. I don’t like that practice: they should be setting it according to the manufacturer’s guidance… I don’t think it helps anyway as it increases the chance of a nosewheel first touchdown.
Fastair liked this
NDB_hold wrote:I don’t have a C152 POH to hand, but it should be in there in the preflight inspection section. For example the PA28 states for the nosewheel

Approximately 3.25 inches piston exposed under static load

I would like to think so! But unfortunately not!

I suppose the thing to do is to make sure it's at the correct pressure, measure the extension, and then use that as a guideline for that particular aircraft. If the extension changes, then chances are so has the pressure.