Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By abiopete
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Spence94 wrote:I've also just started learning at Barton!
I'm learning in the 2 seaters which seem to be a bit more popular than the 4 seaters so I'm struggling for availability a little bit but managed to book out days in November so hopefully the weather will be nice!
good luck in your training :)

I'm a bit of a fatty so i need to be in a 4 seater :lol:
By Spence94
It might not be such a bad thing to be honest mate
If you look through the shlott system the 2 seaters always seem to be booked out compared to the 172 and the pipers
I've got an hour of ground school next week (John recommended we cover this so we can just start smashing out the exercises and I can do the checklists and walk arounds myself) and then my next actual lesson is the 12th November which was the soonest I could get in
after that I've got one booked at least every week though but then again winter is coming so might struggle
other than that I find MSFS to be quite helpful as the layout is spot on and you can fly the circuits get a picture of the approach pretty well
By Rob P
It really doesn't seem to me to matter which you prefer to use (QNH/QFE) as long as you are comfortable with it. I use QFE, there's probably the same danger of me making a slip error (whatever that might be) when winding off the airfield elevation as there is of a QNH afficianado cocking-up his mental arithmetic adding the airfield elevation to the circuit height.

Use what you'd like. If they don't give you the QFE and you want it, then ask. If they give you the QFE and you don't want it, read it back and then forget it.

Rob P
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:there's probably the same danger of me making a slip error (whatever that might be) when winding off the airfield elevation as there is of a QNH afficianado cocking-up his mental arithmetic adding the airfield elevation to the circuit height.

Not in France there isnt...both circuit height and Altitude are written on the aerodrome plate... :thumleft:
Last edited by skydriller on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
skydriller wrote:Not in France there isnt...circuit height is written on the aerodrome plate...

So QFE is universal?

Rob P
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:So QFE is universal?

Ahhh... I see what I did there... I should have used the word "Altitude" :thumleft:

(Edited : and hangs head in shame for knowing what I meant and writing summat else... :roll: )
Rob P liked this
By akg1486
Rob P wrote:So QFE is universal?

The code is universal, but I've never met anyone who uses QFE. I think the UK is a bit unique in this regard.

As for other Q-codes, I had to learn QDM/QDR during training but never asked for them after that. So QNH is the only one I use.
By Rob P
johnm wrote:If you land at an aerodrome 3000ft up in the Alps, good luck setting QFE

I can't think of any reason why one would try and use QFE there. The 'universal' was merely to embarrass Rob (Skydriller)

I spend enough time in France that I knew what he actually meant.

It is interesting that whenever this discussion arises, every three months or so from memory, somebody INEVITABLY quotes an airfield such as Big Bear (6,752 ft amsl), and generally somebody quotes one below sea level. Still, it's the student forum and they probably haven't seen it before, and indeed, could be useful background for them.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
skydriller, johnm liked this