Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I was hoping for a first very short solo-navex this morning but the wind wasn’t looking you be too good at 3,000 so we went to do bad weather circuits as the penultimate air exercise of my LAPL (with precautionary landings as the other one left). I got us up with ‘serious rudder :D ’ to get us onto crosswind from something approaching rwy hdg but crosswind and buffeting was much harsher than expected and rain wasn’t helping vis so instructor took over on d/wind and we had one heck of a lively landing (Me to him ‘you’re bloody loving this aren’t you’ and he was he he) Whole circuit was an event. Total cost for 15mins flying £110 but it was great to see what a PA28 is like in strong winds, poor vis and rain. It’s likely I’d not have experienced it at all during training had we not done it and I’d not want to experience it alone until more experienced after qualifying. Every day a school day, love it.
Flyin'Dutch', Milty, tr7v8 and 1 others liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember a similar similar single circuit session!

With hindsight I think I recongise it as a deliberate demonstration of letting me practice (ropey) decision making.

“What do you think”? instructor said of the weather as we were deciding whether to go.

I thought it worth giving a go and said so and yep… Circuit rather like that one.

Instilled a very useful amount of weather caution for the future!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Milty
Sounds interesting. Better to be doing it with the instructor sat next to you than on your own. I like the phrase that I’ve seen on here a few times. ‘Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground’.
Cessna571 liked this
By Iceman
The more ‘bad weather’ flying experience that you get during your PPL, the better. You’ll then be less inclined to talk yourself out of flying in perfectly flyable but slightly challenging conditions after you get your licence.

Iceman 8)
Nick, Rjk983, Milty and 4 others liked this
After asking the chap who’d be sitting in the RHS if he could land our PA28 from the RHS in an 18G22 crosswind and him saying he could, we agreed I’d try from the LHS.

3 go arounds later I gave up and he then got us down.

What was interesting was that I’d run out of ideas, and if I’d been on my own I’m sure it would have ended badly.

Good to confirm I couldn’t do it rather than wondering if I could.

I’m creeping up from my self imposed 12 kts across limit, but slowly, very slowly.
By PeteSpencer
Cessna571 wrote:After asking the chap who’d be sitting in the RHS if he could land our PA28 from the RHS in an 18G22 crosswind and him saying he could, we agreed I’d try from the LHS.

3 go arounds later I gave up and he then got us down.

What was interesting was that I’d run out of ideas, and if I’d been on my own I’m sure it would have ended badly.

Good to confirm I couldn’t do it rather than wondering if I could.

I’m creeping up from my self imposed 12 kts across limit, but slowly, very slowly.

Always worth the confirming with RHS chap whether or not there are brakes on RHS pedals before you set off..... :roll:
NDB_hold liked this
By skydriller
flyingearly wrote:Bit confused though: why was it £110 for 15 minutes? Was this circuit done at Gatwick?

I did wonder at a 440 quid an hour PA28 rental, but wondered if the OP was including his personal costs for time plus transport to get there and back for 15 mins flying etc...
skydriller wrote:
flyingearly wrote:Bit confused though: why was it £110 for 15 minutes? Was this circuit done at Gatwick?

I did wonder at a 440 quid an hour PA28 rental, but wondered if the OP was including his personal costs for time plus transport to get there and back for 15 mins flying etc...

I would hope so, but if not, I would be rethinking my plans!

Looking at rates on the WW website, it's £215/hr for the Warrior and £240/hr for the R-180. My only assumption is that it's engine-on to engine-off and there was a lot of faff on the ground.

It's up to the OP how they spend their money of course, but I think the likelihood of me persisting with flying would be pretty low if I was paying that sort of money and getting that sort of return.
Forfoxake liked this