Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

flyingearly wrote:
I would hope so, but if not, I would be rethinking my plans!

Looking at rates on the WW website, it's £215/hr for the Warrior and £240/hr for the R-180. My only assumption is that it's engine-on to engine-off and there was a lot of faff on the ground.

It's up to the OP how they spend their money of course, but I think the likelihood of me persisting with flying would be pretty low if I was paying that sort of money and getting that sort of return.

It's all relative, to some people £75 an hour is unaffordable and others own hangars full of warbirds costing £2-3k per flying hour.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:It's all relative, to some people £75 an hour is unaffordable and others own hangars full of warbirds costing £2-3k per flying hour.

But thats comparing the price of Apples with Passion Fruits, let alone Apples and Pears... Some of us were just mildly interested in how a 15min single circuit in a bog standard training aeroplane came to over a hundred quid - as long as the OP is happy then fine.
skydriller wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:It's all relative, to some people £75 an hour is unaffordable and others own hangars full of warbirds costing £2-3k per flying hour.

But thats comparing the price of Apples with Passion Fruits, let alone Apples and Pears... Some of us were just mildly interested in how a 15min single circuit in a bog standard training aeroplane came to over a hundred quid - as long as the OP is happy then fine.

Crossed wires here mate, I was responding to the Warrior and R180 rates!

I suppose £240 * 0.25hrs = £60. Add the landing fee and maybe a bit of taxi time or instructor debrief time and you'll get to £100 quite quick.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Harry.Brown wrote:
leiafee wrote:
I thought it worth giving a go and said so and yep… Circuit rather like that one.

Instilled a very useful amount of weather caution for the future!

Decision making based on, ‘giving it a go’ is often the start of an error chain leading to an accident

That was the lesson I was being taught, yes. It was exceedingly clear was airborne that it was would have been an error.
T6Harvard liked this
Sooty25 wrote:
skydriller wrote:

I suppose £240 * 0.25hrs = £60. Add the landing fee and maybe a bit of taxi time or instructor debrief time and you'll get to £100 quite quick.

Exactly. I pay £168 p/h plus £40 for FI and a small landing fee. Since then I’ve gone on Navexes and the bad weather experience has helped in relating poor conditions which are still VMC to those verging on IMC. The lesson was a bargain.
TrickyWoo wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
skydriller wrote:

Exactly. I pay £168 p/h plus £40 for FI and a small landing fee and .2 of an hour added for taxi etc. Since then I’ve gone on Navexes and the bad weather experience has helped in relating poor conditions which are still VMC to those verging on IMC. The lesson was a bargain.
I try to always do this with my late course LAPL students, it’s amazing how many find it hard to judge just how rubbish the weather is going to be at VFR minimum. They are never going to hold any sort of IR rating and being able to get back in to the airfield when things close in unexpectedly is a life saver. In the course of training we rarely encounter poor weather as we have training minimums way above VFR minimums. Solo cross country students aren’t sent out unless there is at least 10k vis so getting up in the air with a student who is near the end of the course and letting them experience even 6k vis on a 1200’ cloud base is a valuable experience. The low level navigation exercise is often only practiced in good weather conditions and many fail to understand the necessity of getting it right in real life. Tasks many will think simple, like joining mid downwind in a 500’ bad weather circuit at 70kts close in to the runway for a precautionary landing exercise can overload a student. Many will only have practiced the precautionary procedure from a take off or T&G in a circuit session and it’s the transition points which catch them out, forgetting to transition from slow flight configuration to approach configuration on base for example. I firmly believe the low level nav and precautionary landing exercise is one of the toughest a LAPL student will face but it gives them a great deal of satisfaction when they get it right and when carried out in less than perfect conditions, a very valuable lesson on not pushing the boundaries of your experience and training.
tr7v8, TrickyWoo liked this