Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

For a start, I’d scrub round becoming an airline pilot, flying drunk chavs in T shirts, shorts and flip flops singing “here we go …..” , giving cabin crew a rough time of it, to rubbish resorts. Get some real adventure into your life - become a Fleet Air Arm pilot (I would say that) and see the world. Instead of lashing out megabucks for training, get paid while you go through the process. Are you aggressive enough ?
Pete L liked this
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Elfida

Here is a link to the air cadets if you don’t know where your nearest sqn would be. Have a look at the site, find out what it’s about. There will most likely be some kids in your school who are already in.

Talk it through with your parents and if you don’t feel up to going along by yourself get a friend to go with you.

Even if you have no intention of joining the forces it is a great youth organisation which is “air minded”.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/find-a-squadron/
T6Harvard liked this
By AndyR
@Elfida , there are gliding clubs (as mentioned above) in Storrington and in Ringmer, both close enough that your parents can take you or indeed you could get a bus (you certainly can from Brighton to Storrington, albeit with a change).

Shoreham Airport is close by.

Speak to your parents and if you want a chat with someone who gained his licences over a period of years and found some great flying jobs in smaller aircraft, then I would be happy to assist. Young talent needs encouragement but I’m sure you can appreciate that at 15, you need to involve your parents. Indeed, get them to bring you along to the airport and I’d be happy to chat to you all there over a cuppa. You may even manage a short local flight to see if you enjoy it.

Research is the most important thing for you to do. You have plenty of time but seem sensible enough to try and plan your future so offers of help will often be forthcoming.

:thumleft:
johnm, mick w, Mz Hedy and 2 others liked this
By WelshRichy
JAFO wrote:I was never sure that commercial flying would have been right for me but then I saw a post by someone who'd just landed their first job with Trans Maldivian Airways. Maybe I was wrong.

On my honeymoon in the Maldives a number of years ago the thought did cross my mind! Half an hour prior my wife fancied the view from the control tower at Malé Airport, would have been a win-win situation. Then we had the worst week of sand flies and even the locals said it was the worst they had experienced in a fair while. Needless to say we gave up on the idea of looking at the conversion of my FAA CPL/IR and her ATCO licence. :lol:

Sea-planes seem to catch my imagination, more so than I had thought, really enjoyed flying as a passenger on Twin Otters in British Columbia. Amazing time. I really should get around to going to Jack Brown's one day... :D

@Elfida: Although you are a youngster at only fifteen, I would suggest obtaining a Class 1 medical and at least you will know if you can pursue your dream of flying commercially later in life, be it for the airlines, corporate jets, aircraft ferrying, commercial instructing, whatever takes your fancy.

At your age the Class 1 medical will be valid for a year but after the year will downgrade to a Class 2 medical for a further four years. You would need to renew the Class 1 when you're 20 or if you start commercial training before then (to make sure you're still fit enough before spending an awful lot of money). A Class 2 medical is good for learning to fly (PPL) and private flying thereafter.

An initial Class 1 medical is involved and is quite expensive but at least you'll know if you are able to hold a Class 1 medical. Thereafter you will find your renewals will be cheaper and can be done with an AME who is able to examine for Class 1 medicals.

The initial has to be taken at an Aeromedical Centre of which there are three in the UK, a list of which can be found at the link below:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Medical/Apply-for-a-Class-1-medical-certificate/#aemcs

If you decide to just get a Class 2 for the time being you can go to any Aeromedical Examiner, a list can be found at the link below:
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=21

With regards to A Levels, I didn't take any. Instead I did a City & Guilds in Programming (C++ and COBOL back then) and went onto University to study Software Engineering. I did struggle a little with Principles of Flight but really enjoyed Flight Planning, Meteorology and General Navigation during my CPL exams. My day job isn't flying but I do have a USA FAA CPL/IR and a UK CAA PPL and am about to do my Flight Instructor course to instruct part-time (mainly on weekends).
Last edited by WelshRichy on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By AndyR
Elfida wrote:What are most of the pilots here , (commercial pilot ) ????

I held a PPL for quite a few years before deciding to jack everything in and obtain my CPL MEIR.
Since then I have gained both instructor and examiner ratings too. I found a job in GA, flying twin piston aircraft and had a most enjoyable ten years flying around quite a bit of the world though mainly Europe and the Middle East.
I now fly turbine twins and love every moment. I could have gone to the airlines but found the enjoyment and the hand flying too addictive so stayed with the smaller types.
I also have shares in a Bulldog ex RAF training aircraft and have two Piper Cubs (small tailwheel two seaters), both of which are undergoing renovation currently. So I enjoy my private flying too.

I’ve also been very fortunate in avoiding most of the chaos that has hit those in the airline industry over the last 18 months. However, had I started flying sooner in life, I would have probably found my way into an airline job at some stage and there are several on here who spent years in the lighter end of aviation before going down that path. There are a huge variety of jobs still available in aviation, all of which take huge commitment in both time and money, but there is little to beat it, so long as that passion doesn’t leave you.