Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Some posters would do well to remember this is in the Student Forum and there are no wrong answers, no wrong questions, and mis-spellings and/or errors don't make a free-for-all.

i.e. check your egos in at the door fellas because it isn't big, it isn't clever and it isn't helpful.

Good luck @Elfida, if nothing else you will learn that not all pilots are nice people but most of us are.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Elfida wrote:Thank you so much , and can I ask what you did in college

If that was addressed to me, I did Maths and Physics, as well as English, not scoring very well in the Maths or Physics (partly due to getting in with the wrong crowd at that point in my life), so did a one year crash course/extension year and did Geography, Geology and Sociology and did so much better. More importantly I enjoyed it.
Most of us on here can remember being 15. It's a very special time of life.

I agree with those who have said to do at college what interests you. It's hard work at the best of times and if you are not enjoying it you are unlikely do well.

I tried to hint earlier that there are many different types of pilot job. Have you any idea what sort of flying attracts you? The knowledge and skills needed for a short-haul cargo pilot will be different to those needed by a fast-jet test pilot, or by an outback cattle wrangler 8)
JAFO liked this
By VRB_20kt
The question of modular or integrated seems to change with the seasons. Not sure what is flavour of the month at the moment.

"Commercial pilot" covers a multitude of jobs some of which may be of more interest to you than others. If you want to work for the airlines be aware that some of them have entry schemes which can be more or less generous and you would do well to investigate them.

Flyer run a mag on flying commercially every year. See if you can track this year's down.

Where is your local airfield?

Commercial flying is one of those careers that you pretty much have to drive yourself into. It's expensive even if you do it the cheap way! It's also hard work getting to the first rung of the commercial ladder. I guess you knew that though?
@Elfida

You don't say whether you have done GCSEs yet:
If you haven't, then concentrate on these first: English and Maths are ESSENTIAL. a language and scientific subjects are desirable (physics/chemistry)

If you already have these, then fine, concentrate on A levels: there are plenty of good suggestions on here but perleeease don't go for mickey mouse subjects like 'meeja studies' or ' history of film' or your application will go in the bin:

I still haven't made up my mind if you are a troll or not , but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the time being. this being the studes' forum.

In life, learn to take a bit of gentle joshing (especially on a public forum) on the chin.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
johnm liked this
By Rjk983
Elfida wrote:Thank you I’m not a troll just trying to see what pilots have done in college so I can do the same

As per the previous advice, you will find pilots have probably between us done every A level possible. The real point is to do some A levels that are in subjects that interest you. The academic side of an A level is hard enough, but it is torturous if the subject bores you.

The subjects don’t really matter too much, it is more about the process of learning (and developing the self discipline of studying by yourself, far more than you will be used to at GCSE). In this respect A Levels are pitching at preparing you for Uni, but the generic study skills gained all serve you equally well in your pilot training and ground study.

When I did mine 30 years ago I started doing Electronics, Physics and Geography. I have no idea why I chose Geography, it bored me to tears at GCSE but I got a B in it so probably thought I’d be okay at it. I dropped out of that course by the end of the first term. I was too late to start a different subject so ended up doing 3 years at college instead of two. Ended up with A levels in Computing , Physics and Electronics then went to Uni to do a BEng in Computing and Electronics. That bored me too and I dropped out after two years.

Please don’t underestimate how hard it is to stick at something when you aren’t interested in it, so by all means ask for advice, but choose for yourself. Not because it is what somebody else did.
JAFO, jcal liked this
By johnm
@Elfida I've unblocked you now, I'm afraid I'm a grumpy old man :D

I took to flying late in life and have a PPL/IR

I have never considered a career in aviation, however my training has been essentially a few steps on the ladder in that direction. The advice about self study, systematic approach to work and self discipline is very sound. Those skills rather than specific knowledge is what really matters.

If you have some GCSE level maths and physics that will make some of the learning quite a lot easier and if you have good English skills that will help with things like air law.

As you might recall it was I who pulled you up on spelling and I did so because you happened to pick a misspelling that was an excellent example of why precision in communication is important. You meant "an educational establishment" but said "a picture made up of bits and pieces" that sort of confusion has killed people in aviation which is why I highlighted it.

Good luck and feel free to keep coming back for help and advice. Some of us might be a bit grumpy but our hearts are in the right place :D