Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hello 15 and I really want to be a pilot in the future however I’m going on to collage and don’t know what I should take that will help me be a pilot in the future. This is for collage a levels , I asked some people they go on about talking university however that’s not what I’m asking.

What should I take in collage that will help me be a pilot ?

If anyone could help before application,

thank you
Officially there are no requirements and I even know someone who left an expensive private school at 17 with no A levels to become a pilot - he reasoned that he could put the money he would have spent on fees towards the training. He’s now working for BA.

However my own advice to pupils at that expensive private school is to take Maths and Physics if you can. That will make some of the pilot exams (especially Principles of Flight, Mass & Balance, Flight Planning and Performance) easier because you’ll already know much of the basic principles. In theory you could do them with GCSE maths and physics but A level would really help.
Pete L liked this
Maths and physics are always good, but I would say go with what interests you and that you're good at. There are two things: 1) becoming a pilot takes money, lots of it, and you're going to have to have (ok, most people are!) a good job to start with to be able to afford the training. 2) The career of a pilot can be very "seasonal", with companies going under, laying people off, etc. Look at the past couple of years! It's always good to have a good career to fall back on should employment not be forthcoming.
JAFO, MachFlyer liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
First note that an educational establishment is a College a picture made of bits and pieces of material is a Collage Precise and accurate communication in English is an important skill for a pilot.

Maths and Physics will be useful as others have said.

It's a costly business and many people start of with a Private Pilot's Licence (PPL), move to a Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL) then add skills like night flying and instrument flying before climbing the dizzy heights of an Air Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL)

If you have an airfield nearby call in and try and find a friendly training school to talk to.
cockney steve liked this
By Micromouse
Becoming a pilot is not a quick process, especially if you want to get to commercial levels. It takes a lot of dedication, time and money. Possibly more than you think

Have you tried a trial flight? Considered gliding? Joined the ATC?

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Micromouse on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Elfida wrote:I wanted to do business in collage as it says that you don’t need a a specific a level for pilots, and I don’t really enjoy science which I wouldn’t want to do for 2 years .

COLLEGE not COLLAGE business at A level might be useful in a few areas relating to working with and managing/leading other people.
johnm wrote:
Elfida wrote:I wanted to do business in collage as it says that you don’t need a a specific a level for pilots, and I don’t really enjoy science which I wouldn’t want to do for 2 years .

COLLEGE not COLLAGE business at A level might be useful in a few areas relating to working with and managing/leading other people.

@Elfida is beginning to remind me of a former troll on a different aviation forum who loved winding people up with deliberate repeated misspellings.

Elfida, if you want a decent job as a pilot, make sure you know the difference between college and collage, or hanger and hangar, licence and license (subtle one, that), and so forth. It'll save you a lot of time later on. Precision in thinking is an important characteristic for a pilot, and the bigger, faster, or heavier you want to fly the more important it becomes.

After that, go on and learn to fly whether its a paraglider or an A300 or a LightningII F-35, it's great fun most of the time.
johnm liked this
By skydriller
Do what interests you at college. If you dont consider yourself academic, do something practical and learn a trade. The last 2 years has really taught many of us that having a backup skill/job is a good idea, and you will need to find some way to fund your pilot training, which if you were not aware, is very expensive. I presume you have actually flown before and enjoy it... :wink:

@Elfida I hope I've not wasted my time writing this...
JAFO, StratoTramp liked this
As @Paul_Sengupta and @skydriller said: do what interests you, not simply what you think might look right for being a pilot.

I know this because 35 years ago I chose to do what I thought might look right for being a pilot, I hated sixth form for that reason and didn't do as well as I should have. It is entirely possible that my entire life has been an example to others in what choices not to make so I hope that this is helpful. :thumright:

I do agree with those who have said that accuracy - even in such things as spelling - can be important, though and would add that, as a pilot, if someone takes the time to point out even a very minor point which could be improved, it is generally better to take that on board rather than take umbrage.
johnm, StratoTramp liked this