Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi @Elfida
One thing - you haven't indicated (or I haven't noticed) whether you are a young gentleman or a young lady*. If the latter, the British Women Pilots Association may be able to help. If not, it may still be worth looking for flying scholarships. I found this website which looks quite useful.

As you can see from this thread, pilots generally want to help anybody new.

Good luck :thumleft:

PS. at 15 I was pushed towards Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Fortunately I enjoyed them - mostly the Physics. I went on to do Electrical Engineering at university, and ended up with a job at one point testing flight simulators (which I found immense fun).

* apologies if the terminology is dated; so am I.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Excellent. There are increasing numbers of women entering aviation - and loooong overdue if you ask me.

You haven’t said if you’ve got your GCSEs yet.

Even at 15 you can fly a glider solo; it’s 16 for a powered aircraft but you can get lessons prior to that.

Also, if you pop down to your local flying club and get chatting you may also get the offer of a spare seat on someone’s flight. Quite a lot of pilots are keen to share the fun. (In fact flying is generally (IMHO) nicer with someone in the RH seat)
For A Levels I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry. No languages at all.

For PPL level exams, which I did in my nearly 30s, I found having the Maths and Physics was a help but not essential as the exams were logical. Even Meteorology.

When I did my Instrument Rating it was a whole new ball game, as the course hadn't then been dumbed-down so it was the full syllabus exams. Don't know if Chemistry A level helped with Met Theory or Practical (2 exams) but possibly.

I also went to Uni and read unrelated courses - some or none of which may have helped with the various CAA exams I have sat!

Others will have started flying just post GCSE - you can solo at 16 just need Air Law done (and a medical cert and instructor sign-off ;-) )

Speaking of which, if you're serious about going commercial get your medical out the way before you commit to an expensive course of flying.

No point spending nn,nnn pounds just to be grounded.

Good luck. Bon voyage :thumleft:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Elfida wrote:Hey so is it possible if I get my medical certificate now then at 15 so I don’t have to do it in the future and also where do you get them.

Too soon I'd say. It's not a one off you have to get re-examined periodically.

You need to start looking for clubs and training that you can get to. We don't know where in the country you are and some areas have several others it's a bit sparse. If you give us a rough idea of geography (e.g. West Sussex, North Lincolnshire) we can offer some suggestions and you can look at transport etc...
I would think that getting a Class 2 medical might be a great step forward. It will be valid for 5 years. When you talk to a flying club/school, they are likely to take you very seriously if you've already got a medical!

Gliding clubs near Brighton - I can see East Sussex Gliding Club and Southdown Gliding Club. Not being a gliding person, I can't vouch for either, but a call or a visit to either or both would be a great start. If they're welcoming, stick with them!
On the subject of what to study: get the best grades that you can across the board at GCSE and then choose subjects to study for A level (or any other next stage of education) that you just love. It really doesn't matter what the subject mix is, as long as you get good grades. That will fit you for the next stag in your education and personal development, because you will have learned to learn efficiently, and that will fit you for learning just about anything, including flying.
JAFO liked this