Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Elfida wrote:Thank you , also do you have to pay for the class 1 medical certificate and if so how much would it be

I'm sure the way forward for you must seem very unclear at the moment, with many questions coming to mind.

But can I suggest that you do at least some of your own research? By all means come back to ask for clarification of things you've read, but you'll find people more helpful if they can see that you're putting in the effort yourself too.

If not now, then certainly if you start applying for jobs or sponsorships, you will need to show evidence of initiative, determination, drive, the ability to take responsibility, and many other qualities, which you will also need to have in abundance if you want to actually become a commercial pilot.

It's never too young to start developing these skills.

Best of luck :thumleft:
Mz Hedy, Rjk983 liked this
Hi Elfida. I was kicked out of school at 16 for being a disruptive little sod. I got a job as a telecoms apprentice then as a musician. I achieved 6 low grade O levels (GCSEs) by the skin of my teeth.
I now have a CPL, MEP, IR FI, FE and own my own flying school.
Don’t let others get in the way of your dreams but don’t leave it as long is I did!
AndyR, WelshRichy, jcal liked this
Harry.Brown wrote:
One of the most challenging aspects of airline flying is sitting next to someone for five hours in a limited space who you could gladly strangle in other circumstances but also realising they may be feeling exactly the same way about you!

That's a huge positive! At the end of the five hours you don't have to put up with them again until the next time you are unlucky enough to be rostered with them. Most people if they have an annoying colleague have to put up with them for eight hours a day, five days a week...
Nick, T6Harvard liked this
By VRB_20kt
(It really depends what you'd like to do at uni. It sounds like engineering is your thing in which case you can't go too far wrong with Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Engineering is pretty competitive and you are likely to need A and A* for the most subscribed courses though other options are available. I've put this in brackets because that's the conventional route but it is a LONG way from being the only one.)

Even at this stage of your education it would be worth getting hold of some university prospectuses and having a look at the course requirements for the things that interest you. Make enquiries either by ringing or sending emails - course leaders are generally busy but also human!

ISTR that it was mentioned previously that there are many possibilities for getting flying but I don't recall seeing your thoughts on the matter. One thing that really is needed to become a pilot is clarity of thought on what you're trying to attain and then possibilities on achieving that will become clearer.
By VRB_20kt
Elfida wrote:I was planning to do aviation related course in uni
What courses do pilots do in uni ?

Pilots come in many shapes and sizes. A friend of mine did biology at uni but was sponsored by the RAF. Others go straight onto training post school and become ATPLs. Others get well-paid jobs and use their income to fly very interesting aircraft on their PPL.

There really isn't a single correct route.

Additionally, there are many, many things to do in commercial flying. Flying passengers around the planet in scheduled jets represents just a fraction (and some would say the more tedious fraction) of possibilities.

It all comes back to the question. What do YOU want to do?
Elfida wrote:Hello guys I have another question , I’m applying for college now and the course I’m going for is aircraft maintenance in a airport , and I was wondering when I go into uni would this help me or would they want something else like a different course eg science
My alma mater* offers this aerospace engineering degree course (among many others). It gives an idea of the entry requirements which you would need to build up at college if you were to choose this route. This is an engineering course so mathematics and (a) science are necessary precursors,

but

good results and demonstrable enthusiasm for pretty well any moderately challenging subject will stand you in good stead when you apply for a job. As others have suggested, you are most likely to succeed at something which you still find interesting when your study delves down into detail.

You could ask your chosen course suppliers to confirm that the course material will meet the entry requirements for a university course. I found this interesting web page from UCAS, maybe you've already seen it but it seems to answer some of your questions.

Hope that helps - oh, and have you tried contacting the British Women Pilots Association yet? They might be able to help.

* other universities are available.