Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are there any app recommendations that won’t break the bank to log and review my student flights?

Some of the flying school aircraft don’t have mode s transponders so don’t show on Flightradar24.

I’m just looking for something to log and show what my flight track and altitude was so I can see how bad or improving my circuits are for example or review XC vs plan in the future.

I think SD does this but I don’t want to get into that detail while so early in my learning process.

TIA.
T6Harvard liked this
By Micromouse
Flyingfemme wrote:SD does. What details don’t you “want to get into”? You don’t have to use it in flight - just set it up, hit “ go flying” and leave it to do its stuff.

I’ve done that quite a few times - well worth it.

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T6Harvard liked this
By GrahamB
As great as SD is, £149 to -only- use it in the way described is a lot to spend until you are going to use it in earnest.

There are a number of free/cheap speed tracking and mapping apps on the app stores, surely?

Here’s one on the Apple store (although I’ve no idea if it works in the way you’d want).
By Milty
Thanks @GrahamB I’ll give that a go. Exactly as you said, I’m loathed to shell out £150 on SD at this early stage for what seems to be a relatively simple function.
Flyingkeyboard liked this
By cotterpot
like SD but no flight planning capability.

Not strictly true.

You can plan in SD lite and then port it to EasyVFR to see the magenta line. Not straightforward but a workaround.

SD is by far and away the best thing - whether or not you use all of its capabilities.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I downloaded the EasyVFR app a few months ago but it tells me I am outside UK so it won't work. I usually blame user error but in this case IDK 'cos I didn't do anything to settings, have a relatively new phone and am definitely in the UK.

I'll probably get SD sooner rather than later.
Milty liked this
By Milty
Thanks all. I’ll give easy VFR a go. I’ve also had a thought that Strava might work for what I need for now. Could be interesting if I fly over any segments - could be putting in some impressive personal bests.
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By UncleT
T6Harvard wrote:I downloaded the EasyVFR app a few months ago but it tells me I am outside UK so it won't work. I usually blame user error but in this case IDK 'cos I didn't do anything to settings, have a relatively new phone and am definitely in the UK.

I'll probably get SD sooner rather than later.

That's odd. I've had the free EasyVFR Basic app on a number of devices and it has always worked well.

I have the full function paid for Easy VFR on my tablet, rather than SkyDemon. It's not the latest version, because my tablet is 32Gb - the latest version needs 64Gb, which I think (though may have remembered incorrectly) SkyDemon does also - but the 32Gb version is still fully supported and has everything I need.
T6Harvard liked this
By CapnM
CloudAhoy - https://www.cloudahoy.com

It's been a while since my PPL training, and it does seem quite a bit more expensive ($65/yr, so ~£47/yr or ~£4/mo) than what I recall, but, myself and my instructor found it an incredible tool for a post flight debrief, to the point where he started to use it with other students. It lets you break down every 'section' of your flight and will do a good guess at what you're doing (i.e. steep turns? pfl? stalls?) and will give you a break down of speeds, heights and other bits*.

* I don't have a subscription any more so I can't see exactly what they log and I don't recall in full.

I still have my skills test logged on there - always raises a smile thinking about that flight :thumleft:

Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By Aerials
T6Harvard wrote:I downloaded the EasyVFR app a few months ago but it tells me I am outside UK so it won't work.

That might be an indication that your sat-nav is not providing a position. I use GPS Test by Chartcross Ltd to check this before putting on my SkyDemon or EasyVFR.
By T6Harvard
Thanks @Aerials , I have checked my settings to allow location etc but I'll try that.

I emailed EasyVFR just after posting and have had a reply already, offering tech advice, which is great service! Haven't tried the advice yet (am supposed to be revising for 2 more TK exams).
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By UncleT
UncleT wrote:I have the full function paid for Easy VFR on my tablet, rather than SkyDemon. It's not the latest version, because my tablet is 32Gb - the latest version needs 64Gb, which I think (though may have remembered incorrectly) SkyDemon does also - but the 32Gb version is still fully supported and has everything I need.

Just realised that I typed the wrong unit of measure in my earlier post, which means it is erroneous. What it should say is:

"'It's not the latest version, because my tablet is 32 Bit - the latest version needs 64 Bit, which I think (though may have remembered incorrectly) SkyDemon does also - but the 32 Bit version is still fully supported and has everything I need."