Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Pilot_in_training
Hi everybody,

I'm completely new to the world of aviation. I've got my trial lesson booked but it's been moved a few times due to weather so I figure I would ask some questions here if that's possible!

My first one is I'm unsure of the ppl or lapl route. I'm leaning more towards the lapl right now and if needed do a conversion. In regards to the medical, I think I could pass a ppl class 2, but I'm a bit overweight so not sure. If I converted, would I have to retake the medical? And can a ppl class 2 cover me for my lapl medical?

My second question is airports/instructors. I live fairly near to Duxford, elsetree, north Weald, and Cranfield. Is there any one school or location to fly from that is recommended? I assume it's more based off of how you get along with the instructor?

I'm committed to the training. Lord knows I need a hobby. Is there anything else that may be good to know?

Thank you all for your time!
By Rob P
Add Andrewsfield to your nearby airfields list. It has an excellent reputation for training amongst those who have fledged there, and the airfield has a lovely rural feel.

And welcome :D

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome. :-)

Go for a class 2 medical and PPL because that leaves all doors open, if you can't get a class 2 medical for some reason then look at LAPL and NPPL and make sure you understand the restrictions and can live happily within them.
By skydriller
Try to get a Class 2 medical and full PPL. The NPPL and LAPL are restricted and you need to understand and be OK with what those restrictions are.

My advice would be to try to learn at the aerodrome with the least travel time or ease of travel from where you live, but getting along with the instructor at the flight school/club is key. Narrow your options down to 2 or 3 places, then take a trial lesson at each (making sure you have a logbook so the hours count) ensuring that the trial lesson will be with the guy that will be instructing you - if it doesnt feel right it probably isnt right and everybody is different. Be upfront about what you are doing with each establishment. Pay using a Credit card if you pay for more than one lesson at a time.

Have fun, that what its all about.
johnm, Rob P liked this
By T6Harvard
Welcome @Pilot_in_training .

You have clearly done your homework so you have a good idea about the options. @skydriller has summarised the next steps perfectly. Everyone will emphasise Do Not Pay Up Front. If you feel you must, keep it to a minimum and pay by credit card. At most schools you have your lesson, do the paperwork and then pay.

You may have gathered that this flying thing is addictive. Personally I started out wanting the intellectual challenge of learning lots of new stuff, had a flight experience which I absolutely loved, and then had a proper trial lesson (also loved, of course).

I'm old and my practical learning has been slow at times. I've found the theory is not that difficult although there is a lot to remember.
I'm still loving it in between the frustration at not be able to pick up some aspects of flying as quickly as I had hoped :roll:

When all is said and done it is an amazing thing to do!

I know one of the new instructors at Elstree and she tells me it is very busy there with an interesting circuit due to noise abatement procedures but she loves it.