Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hey all, so last week, I managed to successfully re-pass my CPL skills test, for the second time, granting me an EASA CPL...again. Seems like there shouldn't be any issues from the NAA so now I have to decide what I want to do next, with my ATPLs expiring in just under 2 years (about 21 months left).

I currently hold an IR(R) on my UK CPL with approx 23hr simulated IMC and 7hr actual IMC. Obviously it would make a lot of sense to go down the CB-IR route which comes the next question of SE-IR vs ME-IR and also UK or EASA licence first (or both)?

I am an university student so in an ideal world (probably pipe dream), I would be able to follow this route:
1. Do my SE-IR on my UK licence next summer, which keeps my UK and EASA ATPL theory alive
Graduate from university
2. Do my SE-IR to ME-IR upgrade on my UK licence and obtain 50hrs PIC IFR time
3. Convert UK IR to EASA IR via the 50hr PIC IFR CB route
This route to me sounds pretty logical however, there is one massive roadhump, and that would be how this would only work if a UK IR could keep my EASA ATPL theory valid. Given this is unlikely (awaiting confirmation from EASA NAA), a different plan will probably need to be thought up.

Second, still pretty doable situation would be that I am able to do a CB-SE-IR at an EASA ATO, UK CAA recognises all the training and I do two IR skills test. Of course, this would require more upfront costs but at least it removes the obvious issue. However, we now have the problem of how I probably will struggle to find an EASA ATO that's willing to do CB-IR with my IR(R), that's not in the UK. If possible then sure, I would happily go down this route but if not, it's a bit of an uphill battle.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think my recommendation would be somewhat different.

If both the UK and EASA are accepting your TK, job done on that, don't lose it.

Then do one SE/IR course, and one test, with one of the several schools and examiners who are both UK and EASA. Then do the same with the ME/IR. Your IR(R) is valuable experience, but in reality you're doing the whole course.

Each time do two sets of paperwork - and get an IR on each licence.

In the meantime, also join PPL/IR, where you'll get lots of informed support and contacts.

G
Once you've got an IR on both licences, your exams remain valid for issue of an ATPL for 7 years i.a.w. FCL.025(c)(2). That's what you're really after. You can then deal with the SE to ME element in slow time.

I agree with @Genghis the Engineer - do one course/skill test and put the SE IR on both licences. Even with the IR(R) you're likely to do the entire CB-IR course.

You can claim credit for the IR(R) training, and instrument flight time as PIC, i.a.w Part FCL, Appendix 6, 6(a), however that credit may not be of any use unless you've done considerable IF work such as holding, tracking, 2D/3D approaches etc using your IR(R).

The ATO you attend will conduct an assessment to see where you're at, they decide how much credit is permitted.
I wish I had stumbled across this a few weeks ago when I started MEIR!

I am in an identical situation. I hold a UK and EASA CPL and until a few weeks ago, I had an IR(R) and flew a few hours IFR as PIC. I used these hours to do solo VOR tracking and precision approaches.

I have decided to do the ME CBIR and believe I have 19 hours of credit plus the 10hours as a CPL holder, reducing the total down to a minimum of 26hrs with 15hrs dual in a MEP and 11hrs in a sim. However, I am aware that i will need to do the full course or very close to it but still, nice to be able to shave off a few hours if I can.

The kicker is that I need to to do two IR skills test, one in UK airspace and one in EASA airspace. Given the cost of hiring a DA42, this is a considerable amount of extra cost. However, with Ryanair and Wizz still requiring an EASA fATPL for UK based FO jobs, I need to cough up to maximise my chances of future employment.

I am due to leave my current job next easter and so want the fATPL ready to go in case the impossible happens and there are some employment opportunities for low hour non-TRd pilots.