Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Evening all, apologies but I feel the need to let off some steam and agitation from my first solo.

So, today was my first solo and I felt ready. Did a few circuits with the instructor, a few not so perfect landings but overall, happy.

Went great, take off great, downwind made my call and then just as turning onto final, another plane announced it was a few miles away and joining the circuit- I acknowledged and gave my final call. To which I then heard' oh there is a plane on final' So again, repeat on final approach runway etc etc. To which I had someone shout down the radio' What are you doing?!again repeated final etc etc. Nil response. The plane was behind me at this point, so I had right of way regardless. I landed, quite well, a bit of a balloon but recovered. I then made my backtracking call, to which another horrible call from the same pilot, basically calling me an idiot with them having no context as to why they couldn't hear my calls.

What is wrong with people?! My first solo flight and people think it is appropriate to speak to others like this over a radio, when my instructor made it clear I was on my first solo. Literally ruined this experience and I am so, so mad about it as I have looked forward to this for some time. It was clear when I parked, the radio had an intermittent fault with the call button.

I fly to get away from a very stressful job in the healthcare sector and I didn't expect to come up against someone with an attitude like this (there are plenty in healthcare), so early on in my flying experience when I tried my best to do a good job today and be safe.

Anyway, I just felt the need to rant to anybody who would listen :lol:

Happy flying all!
I've listened and I feel your pain. Ex14 is a pivotal point in your flying life and should be a golden memory for you, and now it isn't.

Not your fault if the PTT had an issue. Marginally the other pilot's fault for getting **** off at an aircraft in the circuit being non-radio. Hugely his fault for mouthing off about it. The irony of ill-disciplined radio use because he thought someone wasn't using the radio properly probably still escapes him. It's still not compulsory to have a radio everywhere.

Put it behind you. Onwards and upwards.

Rob P

What is the level of air traffic service where this happened?
Hobbyflight, A4 Pacific, A le Ron and 1 others liked this
Thank you for listening, appreciated. It was just my luck to have an empty circuit and the minute I am on final, someone decides to join haha.

The airfield I fly from is as basic as they come in terms of service, there is someone on the radio (most of the time) giving basic info-pressures and runway in use etc, nil else.
Hi Mate

There are ‘undesirables’ throughout life who take great delight in doing others down. Because it makes them feel better about themselves. No reason to think those who fly are any differently represented. Indeed some say this game attracts odd balls!

As in life, these ‘inadequate’ Tonkas are only a problem if you allow them to affect you. That particular choice is always yours. Not theirs!

Take great pride in what you achieved today. Blot out the ‘astronauts’!
Hobbyflight, Rob P, mick w and 1 others liked this
Thank you for the understanding and encouragement guys.

I did consider a MOR but in all honesty, I don't understand them fully and I have been told the particular person is a regular flyer and has involvement running, at some level, the airfield in general. I don't wish to cause trouble for myself or anyone else for that matter. I just didn't expect to come up against someone been that rude and persistent, when trying to concentrate on getting the plane down safely.

Will aim to put it behind me and as you say, I should be proud of what I did today.

Thank you :D
rogerb liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That needs reporting.

Student pilots have been killed as a result of confusing radio calls at the wrong time. And even experienced pilots could be rattled at a critical stage of flight.

The pilot who upbraided you is a menace to life and limb and should 100% be dobbed in.

Foul and dangerous behaviour.
Hobbyflight, Rob P, lobstaboy and 4 others liked this
Remember that time when you went solo and had a radio failure?

That’s a story for the pub if ever I heard one.

My first solo, I just went up, round and landed.

Had an electrical failure on QXC which ended up with me getting lost and accepting vectors from D&D to get home though.

There’s 101 first solo’s out there where we did a circuit.

You had to deal with a bit of a Wally approaching the field, yet you kept your calm, landed the thing (that’s always a bonus), they could use it again (an even bigger bonus).

First solo’s aren’t always accompanied by raptures of Angels, but they are ALWAYS memorable.

Yours was certainly memorable, as your flying career continues you’ll remember it as one of those “notable things that happened”, it just so happened to be in first solo, definitely a notable thing though.

Now… the next solo circuit after first solo… that’s the one you really want to look out for.

First time you repeat it, trust me, that’s the special one that nobody talks about for some reason.

That’s the one that everyone actually enjoys.
Hobbyflight, leiafee, lobstaboy and 2 others liked this
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and guidance. I think the more I think about the situation, the more I realise how dangerous it was, when I was trying to concentrate on the first time I have ever landed a plane alone.

I feel compelled to speak to this pilot in person and let them know my thoughts, in a hope it makes them think twice about doing it to someone else in the future and possibly, causing a crash or worse.... I will also be putting in that MOR, as you are all right, I shouldn't just brush this behaviour off.
johnm wrote:The kind of behaviour you relate would justify a MOR in my view. The rules are very clear, traffic joining has to fit in with traffic already in the circuit

I’m sure you’ve discussed this with your instructor, but I tend to agree with this. But I would say it’s your instructor’s call, really.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hobbyflight wrote:Literally ruined this experience and I am so, so mad about it as I have looked forward to this for some time

I hope this is just a one off over-excited exaggeration...because if not then I think you need to chill a little and take a step back... So your Solo didnt go 100% as planned - well, Id say most of my flights dont really go 100% as planned, and usually its because of an external factor I have no control over - thats pretty much what being a pilot is about, and getting mad doesnt help you when it starts going wrong.

The good thing is that say you stayed calm, followed the procedures you were taught, and landed safely - which is why your instructor let you go solo - he knew you could cope!! And as someone has already said, you will now have a great "first Solo" story to tell :thumleft:
Cessna571, Rob P, JAFO liked this
@Hobbyflight I'm guessing there was no ground radio whatsoever? I'm surprised your instructor didn't have a radio and intervened .

Did the other pilot land in the end? I'd have been waiting on the apron for a chat when he taxiied in. He was both wrong and out of order. But I will add, you won't come across pilots like him often.

Learn what you can from it and let it go, you've now got far more important things ahead of you to focus on.

Congrats on your solo though, lets not forget what you achieved! :thumleft:
Hobbyflight liked this
Congratulations on your first solo! Don't let someone else's inadequacy effect your good feelings about this accomplishment.
Unfortunately there are ****holes and pillocks in all walks of life.
As said already, your instructor should follow this up if they feel safety was at all likely to be compromised.
Hobbyflight liked this
skydriller wrote:
Hobbyflight wrote:Literally ruined this experience and I am so, so mad about it as I have looked forward to this for some time

I hope this is just a one off over-excited exaggeration...because if not then I think you need to chill a little and take a step back... So your Solo didnt go 100% as planned - well, Id say most of my flights dont really go 100% as planned, and usually its because of an external factor I have no control over - thats pretty much what being a pilot is about, and getting mad doesnt help you when it starts going wrong.

The good thing is that say you stayed calm, followed the procedures you were taught, and landed safely - which is why your instructor let you go solo - he knew you could cope!! And as someone has already said, you will now have a great "first Solo" story to tell :thumleft:

Thank you for the input and perspective. I understand that sounds over the top however, i was on final on my very first solo landing with someone repeatedly shouting abuse and asking what I am doing, try to reply to that and also trying to land with little experience, was daunting to say the least. I just found it all very unnecessary and unsafe.

You are absolutely right though, I cant control others behaviour and just have to focus on myself and what I can control.

Thank you :D
JAFO, KingJames liked this