Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Sooty25 wrote:@Hobbyflight I'm guessing there was no ground radio whatsoever? I'm surprised your instructor didn't have a radio and intervened .

Did the other pilot land in the end? I'd have been waiting on the apron for a chat when he taxiied in. He was both wrong and out of order. But I will add, you won't come across pilots like him often.

Learn what you can from it and let it go, you've now got far more important things ahead of you to focus on.

Congrats on your solo though, lets not forget what you achieved! :thumleft:

Thank you

The pilot did a go around and landed, got in their car and drove off from the other end of the field before I could discuss with them.

My instructor did indeed let them know I was a solo and the radio was intermittent, they still carried on.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, onwards and upwards.
Well done for moving on ;)
It's worth noting that the sort of bad behaviour you've described would be unacceptable in any case - I mean even if you hadn't been a solo student.
A positive learning point you can take from this is to remember it when you're much further into your flying journey - it'll help you to remember that it's important to keep your cool when somebody does something that you think is stupid (and they will, believe me!).
TopCat, Hobbyflight liked this
The fact that this idiot drove off without resolving the issue on the ground after making such a fuss over the radio, would indicate that he knows that he was in the wrong but has the childish mentality to refuse to face up to it.
Well done to you for handling the situation so well in the face of distracting abuse.
The MOR would be the best thing to do, with a follow up “chat” with the backup of your instructor if you feel up to it, bearing in mind the “authority” the idiot seems to have.
Hobbyflight liked this
FWIW I think you already were chilled for a first solo and another aircraft on ‘surprise final’ plus the RT aggro. I’d like to think I could have handled it as well as you have but I’m not sure. I 100% would have been waiting to ask why the comms behaviour though - an informal word in his shell-like and no grudges born.
Hobbyflight liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just because someone owns or helps to run something on the airfield, doesn't make them a "god".
I know one such person who came to help with his new Cirrus at a charity event organised at our club (not his).
He refused to follow the club procedures on the apron, then when directly asked to re-park his aircraft (with help offered to do so) in the correct place by a club instructor, argued and yelled at the instructor, then complained at how he was treated to anyone who would listen including the event organiser and the club chairman.

I've not seen him back at our club since (which isn't much of a loss). He is the sort of character who I suspect would have done exactly this sort of unjustifiable action on the radio, with a huge feeling of entitlement.
It didn't ruin the event. Don't let it ruin your flying experience!

There are many first solo experiences - sounds like you handled it well despite the distraction. Onwards & upwards!
My instructor got out underneath the tower - not somewhere that we normally stop. I soon discovered that the radio was blanked by the wing so couldn't talk to ATC to get going again (eventually solved by a switch to the second com).
Hobbyflight liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sounds like you coped with the situation fine and landed which is the main thing.

I think it's funny (probably just because I have primed myself to ignore all the other times I am called now), but it always seems that the radio comes alive as soon as you are on any final :cyclopsani:

probably a bit of bias as you don't notice the calls until they start to affect your concentration.
StratoTramp wrote:... it always seems that the radio comes alive as soon as you are on any final :cyclopsani:

probably a bit of bias as you don't notice the calls until they start to affect your concentration.

Turn the volume down to a level where it's just a burble in the background. You won't be disturbed but you will remember to turn it up again when you need it (the danger with turning it off is that you'll forget).
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this