Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By jcal
StratoTramp wrote:That said I think just do FREDA checks frequently! I'm always glancing up at the fuel just in case the is a leak or something!

That's fair, can't hurt to do it more often than not! It's a quick check to do anyway.

StratoTramp wrote:Yes, Centre camera is GoPro MAX it allows me to shoot everything then change the angle of the shot via software later. The front and rear views of me are shot on the same device. I've just exported different angles from the GoPro software.

That's very neat! I've been meaning to get a camera for recording, mostly for my own records, not youtube per se, but have been unsure about getting the MAX or the standard hero. I'm tempted to go for the MAX now that I see how flexible it is!

StratoTramp wrote:Must have taken me about 12 hours to edit :lol: sounds still not quite right. I had to stop and start recording a lot as neighbor is rotavating garden :lol: so it had to be done in more than one session so Variables creep in.

I did a bit of youtube editing years ago and can totally sympathise. The amount of time and effort it takes to edit just a few minutes of video is so often understated!
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yeah it's pretty good. A bit more grainy perhaps. But is like having 2/3 cameras in each. I could have done a better job taking the distortion out as you can do this in the software too.

Adds a bit of movement to the shot too if you put leveling on and maintain tracking point. Interesting perspective seeing the plane "pivot" around the camera.
jcal liked this
By skydriller
StratoTramp wrote:I need to figure out how to do cockpit audio really. I think TheMicroPilot may have a guide.

If you have a Lightspeed headset and any kind of i-thingy then there's an app for sound recording called Flightlink. Older Lightspeeds need a cable (supplied w/headset) newer ones do everything bluetooth.

Otherwise Youtube is your friend.

FYI : Adding and syncing sound just makes the video making process longer... :wink:

Regards, SD..
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Lobstaboy sent me the avweb video of massive circuits which is quite funny. Tbh they keep telling me land at Sackville land anywhere. Though I know there must be lots harder ones out there.
Is really long but try to get down and slowed before the windsock as you get bounced back into air otherwise lol
Nice video! Looking forward to you making trip report videos post-license.

I did my solo in the before-GoPro-era, so no video. But I do remember it well, of course. Two things stick out in my mind: first the climb performance with 1 POB, second the feeling after take-off that there is now no going back; I have to land this aircraft at some point no matter what. I suppose you had that feeling after your go-around.

Good luck in the future. Landings at airfields with a straight final is going to be much easier.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
akg1486 wrote:Nice video! Looking forward to you making trip report videos post-license.

I did my solo in the before-GoPro-era, so no video. But I do remember it well, of course. Two things stick out in my mind: first the climb performance with 1 POB, second the feeling after take-off that there is now no going back; I have to land this aircraft at some point no matter what. I suppose you had that feeling after your go-around.

Good luck in the future. Landings at airfields with a straight final is going to be much easier.

Thanks, Yeah it's nuts with only 1 POB :lol:

Haven't been able to fly much last 2 weeks hence no videos, I was going to do one about "what to do when you can't fly", but making a video about reading books and playing flight sim doesn't completely appeal.

Hopefully back up Friday if the field isn't too soggy for more hour building - Might even get a visit from a pilot from another channel with a Sport Cruiser so we can do some collaboration.