Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
:cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: enjoyed it in a perverse kind of way. Gets really real / terrifying for about 15 secs then done - relief lol :lol:

Had one go around. Though landing was super smooth.

CT2K, Really quite different one up, shoots up but also even more floaty and one of my weaknesses is I'm usually too floaty as it is...

Also had my first proper "bad" heavy landing when I was going round in the circuit with the instructor just before Thought what a day or all days, to get confidence shaken... :|

Still pulled it together. :thumleft: pronto.

Will bump it with video but I suppose solo is like other people's kids - Great for me. But for every one else it is just isn't that interesting :lol: ( just a circuit!)

EDIT: video here
2nd Edit: RayP says I'm wearing my harness wrong. Check out this s thread

viewtopic.php?p=1871648#p1871648

Thanks,
Martin (StratoTramp)
Last edited by StratoTramp on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tr7v8, Milty, UncleT and 12 others liked this
By StratoTramp
Definitely really weird being alone. Instructor was on ground radio. Calling field clear when I put my final call in etc.

Also why does everyone call when you are on final :lol: Radio Trolls waiting until someone calls "final" then they have the longest most garbled conversation. Turned it down pretty sharpish. Is it some unwritten rule of aviation : :mrgreen:

Can't wait to try it out on some other poor sod :lol: anyways super chuffed, as it keep seeming like it was getting further away with weather and plane serviceability etc.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Shout about it loud and proud. If others can’t share in your joy, it’s their problem but I suspect it will remind people of that joyful event and hopefully raise a little smile of happiness. Looking forward to getting mine - maybe in 2021.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp, jcal liked this
By StratoTramp
Milty wrote:Shout about it loud and proud. If others can’t share in your joy, it’s their problem but I suspect it will remind people of that joyful event and hopefully raise a little smile of happiness. Looking forward to getting mine - maybe in 2021.

Yeah I just didn't want to be presumptive! Here's hoping for you. The nights are closing in but my instructor was saying you can have some very calm winter skies. :thumleft: We are moving to Deenethorpe for winter as sackville gets waterlogged. that's the other thing.

T6Harvard wrote: :mrgreen: CONGRATULATIONS! It must feel sooo good. Are you still grinning from ear to ear? :thumleft:

Took about an hour to sink in. Saw a brief smile in my video... But I think you are so focused on the task it takes a while to wind down and realise you did it :lol: I think immediately it was just relief! :shock:

Will be interesting to hear your experiences.
T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
rf3flyer wrote:@StratoTramp
Well done! Wish I'd thought of doing a go-around when I did mine, just to double the flight time you understand.
I liked the approaches, nice and tight over the airfield boundary.

Thanks it's a bit of a weird circuit really. With base and final sort of merged.
I'm trying to take everybody's feedback on board, though I like yours the best. :lol:

So far I've been "too wide, too low, too high, too close" I just need to average the 4 :lol:
JAFO, tr7v8 liked this
StratoTramp wrote:Will bump it with video but I suppose solo is like other people's kids - Great for me. But for every one else it is just isn't that interesting :lol: ( just a circuit!)

Maybe so. But welcome to the club anyway. Only those who have done it will ever understand....... 8)
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
That's such a good video @StratoTramp! I can't wait for my first solo but the editing and the commentary on your video is fantastic and makes me feel like I was there with you :).

One curious question, I wonder why do FREDA checks in the circuit? I was only taught to do BUMFISCH on Downwind and FREDA for cruise outside of the circuit.

Also, what camera have you set up overhead? Is it the GoPro Max?
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
I think you are right - I was going to go through bump on the second circuit round but realised video was getting a bit long. Hence my cop out saying I'd put it in the description. :roll:

That said I think just do FREDA checks frequently! I'm always glancing up at the fuel just in case the is a leak or something!

Yes, Centre camera is GoPro MAX it allows me to shoot everything then change the angle of the shot via software later. The front and rear views of me are shot on the same device. I've just exported different angles from the GoPro software.

The wing view is a GoPro 8.

I need to figure out how to do cockpit audio really. I think TheMicroPilot may have a guide.

Must have taken me about 12 hours to edit :lol: sounds still not quite right. I had to stop and start recording a lot as neighbor is rotavating garden :lol: so it had to be done in more than one session so Variables creep in.

Good luck with your solo. Sure you will smash it.
I think I needed the go round as airplane does behave quite differently 80kg lighter!

Plus I just wanted to fly longer... Honest :wink: