Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Added Leicester and Fenland to my "Aerodromes Visited" log yesterday... thoroughly enjoyable even though being limited to 1000 feet with not great visibility. Was a NavEx (instructor present) but he didn't have to intervene once... At least with the navigation (I am pretty good with a map (at least OS) not quite so much detail on 1:250,000!).

Though my radio calls were below average! But next thing to work on - Not used to people replying at sackville and having to read stuff back / write it down! :cyclopsani:

Fenland and Leicester join Sackville and Deenethorpe which were already in there.

Do I have to collect (catch) them all, like Pokemon (sorry that reference is even beneath my age group).

If so, something (SkyDemon & Lockyears) tells me I may be here a while....

Sorry! :lol:

Can't wait to get touring, apart from flying I like hiking (have a Lowland Leader qualification - considering mountain leader) so can hopefully join the two hobbies and get out and about further!
By lobstaboy
Ah! My old stomping ground. Sackville to Leicester was my first solo cross country (a long time ago). More memorable even than my first solo.
I couldn't get the radio right on departure from Leicester, they didn't seem to hear my calls as I wasn't getting a reply - turned out they were calling me, but I'd got the volume down. No harm done thankfully.
Rob P, StratoTramp liked this
By Rob P
On Monday my heart went out to the heavily accented student (I think) repeatedly calling an ATSU and not hearing the response.

I sat there thinking "Turn your bloody volume up man!"

We've all done it. :oops:

Rob P
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:Ah! My old stomping ground. Sackville to Leicester was my first solo cross country (a long time ago). More memorable even than my first solo.
I couldn't get the radio right on departure from Leicester, they didn't seem to hear my calls as I wasn't getting a reply - turned out they were calling me, but I'd got the volume down. No harm done thankfully.

With Leicester I was having the same. Gave 3 then stopped. Though we got there just before it opened tbh. We hung around for a bit and they showed up a few minutes after landing. Paid my first landing fee of many I hope :lol:

Also, I will make a note to check the volume for future as it is bound to occur sooner or later :thumleft:
By Cessna571
Catch them all…

After passing, I set myself a target of 10.
It’s slightly harder than you think, because a lot of your first flights are with friends/family that you just want to fly with, not nav somewhere new with.

Then you spread out a bit. There’s a section for “airfields visited” at the front of my log book. I note them in their the first time I visit. (not every time) so it’s my list of where I’ve been.

There’s still a few within a stones throw of home that I’ve not been to. You don’t always want to go somewhere new.
StratoTramp liked this