Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TrickyWoo
Hi,

I'm around 2/3 through a LAPL and all going well - things going up, down and generally happily around about the place as billed.

Plan:

I want to take up my OH and children and I'm aware of the need for 10hrs post-qualification flying. This would be 'proper flying' to learn more tan just bimbling over the local nudist colonies and some hours would be shared with experienced PA28 friends on a 50:50 PIC basis. (I also wanted to change to a PPL course however it's not permitted.)

Views please on the correctness / advisability of:

1. Pass LAPL
2. 15 hrs immediate training very possibly including some of the night rating
3. PPL awarded after another test and navex
4. No need for 10 hrs post-LAPL solo
5. Total cost difference between PPL and LAPL + pax = 5 hours. And I want to do the NR anyway.

Win-win (other than should have done PPL from the get go...)?

Thank you :-)
Why the rush to get a PPL. The LAPL covers what a significant proportion of pilots want to do.

In fact pretty well every PPL holder I see these days is on either a LAPL or PMD so can't excercise the privileges of a PPL anyway.
To be able to fly in the US and to EU with minimal paperwork. Plus the restricted IR later on. These adventures won’t be immediate but while the training is fresh I think best to proceed as planned. Plus the 10 hrs post lapl to take someone up is £2000 of hours which if under lapl not ppl training won’t contribute to the ppl at all.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It sounds like you could do with joining an economical syndicate, There is quite a lot of flying out there for <£100 a month and <£50 per hour. Personally I'd be delighted to get out and about with my new licence.

You learn quite a lot in your first ten hours of solo. It'll contribute to your abilities as a pilot of not actually towards the hours.
By Rob P
A lot depends on where in the country you are based, and also if a group will accept a pilot with the ink barely dry on their licence, but certainly £120/month and £60/hr should be achievable

Rob P
That will be Whisky Alpha, a good group from all I hear and an honest little aircraft. We often used to see it out and about.

Rob P
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Where are you based @TrickyWoo? Rates in and around the M25 do seem to be substantially higher than the rest of the UK. (This, of course, is predicated on the idea of using your LAPL rather than just ploughing on with training)
I’m at Enstone where there are excellent hiring options. It’s more about the license ‘upgrade’ really - £170 an hour wet post-LAPL is ok for me I just want to use the hours as best they can and get the best training in the hours available. Once I have more hours I’ll look at a share or other options.