Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By xiao
Hi guys

Student pilot here, I'm looking for advice and recommendations on which handheld radio to buy?
This is to be used to listening to air traffic and learn from, as well as to be used as a redundancy for if the in plane radio fails.

Thanks

Xiao
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Me too.
I have the one with GPS, VOR, LOC and Glideslope, with Li-Ion battery ( FTA-750L).
However I've rarely used the extra features. If you just want it to listen and as a backup to transmit, it is overkill.

There are also non-radio backup ways to fly (at my local you orbit a specific location to make sure that ATC have seen you, then watch for signal lights) so being able to transmit isn't a requirement if you are on a budget (also useful to have a few key phone numbers saved, if your headset has phone connectivity!).
By Flyin'Dutch'
The 550L is much cheaper and will serve you equally well.

Having said that, I firmly believe that little is gained from just listening to ATC. Typically you only get to hear the aeroplane, not the transmitter and those comms you can easily pick up are usually from CAT interactions with ATC which have little relevance to day to day GA comms.

Best get yourself a good dedicated trainer - I was taught by an actual ATCO and found that a very stress free and positive experience.

Enjoy the learning.
By Aerials
On Flyin'Dutch's point about training, there is a new 'distance learning' package available here https://www.wilcoradio.com/team Andy Moon also has his own company, planespeak, and he travels to Midlands airfields and clubs to carry out training and examinations although I don't know where you are based https://planespeak.com/
I echo all that has been said about Yaesu products, they are all extremely robust and reliable.