Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By OlliAllen
Hi,
I’m doing PPL training and have around 12 hours on a 152. Ive been offered a TMG to finish my training on for crazy cheap. My question is can you log hours on a TMG towards PPL?
The instructor I have is also a TMG trainer.
Thanks in advance
Olli ;)
By low&slow
If you do your training and pass the skill test in a TMG you will get a PPL(A) with a TMG class rating. To add an SEP rating (to fly Cessnas, Pipers, etc) you will need to do further training at an ATO/DTO and then pass the SEP skill test.

So, yes, your TMG training will count towards a PPL(A) but you will need further training and pass another skill test before you are qualified to fly SEPs. There is no minimum number of hours additional training requirement but I think there are some parts of the SEP syllabus which are not taught in the TMG course. The best thing to do is ask your instructor how much additional training is usually required, and then factor in the extra cost of an additional flight test.

Once you have a PPL(A) with both TMG and SEP ratings on it, hours flown in a TMG count towards SEP renewal as well, which can be a significant saving post-PPL.
By OlliAllen
Great!
That’ll save me an arm and a leg! I’ll have a chat with him on Wednesday when is see him about additional hours conversion
Thanks for your reply by the way ;)
By ChrisRowland
I did my conversion training from gliding to power on a TMG, got a NPPL with the SLMG class rating, then added the SEP class rating to my NPPL, which only needed an instructor's signature. Then converted everything to a LAPL.
That was 2016 - 2017, not sure if that avenue is still open.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sadly that door was closed in 2018. I used it in reverse to add TMG privileges to my EASA PPL.

Some TMGs are an absolute delight to fly and they tend to be very gentle on the bank balance.
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As said above, yes you can get a PPL(A), the class rating you get depends on what you do your skills test on. If you do it on a 152 you will get an SEP Land rating. If you do it in a Dimona, Falke, etc. you will get a TMG rating.

You can mix and match your training as you like, so yes go ahead and save some money. The CAA website states simply that "You must have had some flight instruction on the same aircraft type or class that you will be taking your skill test in" (albeit always worth checking the legislation - the advice on the CAA website is not always completely accurate).

After your training is complete, to add a TMG class rating to a PPL(A) with SEP Land just requires a skills test (something I have previously looked into and done). I believe the same goes to add an SEP Land to a PPL(A) with TMG, but again, double check the legislation. You would then hold a PPL(A) with both SEP Land and TMG class ratings, hours on either count for revalidation purposes, so you can fly cheaply in TMGs and keep both ratings current.