Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Micromouse wrote:We didn't quite make it to Duxford,and the RT exam was (best not ask!!!) but Chris flew into Elstree and we had an enjoyable afternoon, and I love his AA5!!

And just for the record, despite the absence of convincing photographic proof, a fully held-off and reasonably short landing was achieved. Wouldn't want there to be any doubt there... :whistle:
Micromouse liked this
By Cookie
Great to meet you @T6Harvard and to catch up with @Rob P and friend. Sorry I missed you @RobW.

Do ask your questions about learning to fly on the forum here or feel free to drop me a PM. Hopefully there will be another meet up in the Spring.

ATVB Cookie
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
Indeed and added bonus for Gareth and I to meet up with you Jon.

There were two other highlights for me. One was sitting in the RH seat whilst Gareth flew a visibility-challenged final into Duxford and casually observing "There's about 4,000 people watching this landing"

The other was the lovely late afternoon sun after the Typhoon display into which we departed. As I flew that leg I couldn't help thinking there'd be more than a few pilots on the ground we were passing over, looking up and thinking "I wish..." In truth it wasn't that brilliant to be in, the mist was creeping back in. But it was a decent end to a worthwhile day.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By Micromouse
TopCat wrote:
Micromouse wrote:We didn't quite make it to Duxford,and the RT exam was (best not ask!!!) but Chris flew into Elstree and we had an enjoyable afternoon, and I love his AA5!!

And just for the record, despite the absence of convincing photographic proof, a fully held-off and reasonably short landing was achieved. Wouldn't want there to be any doubt there... :whistle:

Coming low over the trees..... avoids the flak

and landing...

Wayne
TopCat, T6Harvard, tr7v8 and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:Don't write off the winter. There are some long, stable periods of high pressure, though indoor meets are best then.

Rob P

Indeed: I did my entire PPL training at Ipswich:October 1992-March 1993 (66 hours) during one of the mildest winters for years, with only one weather cancellation. :thumleft:

Edit: just checked my logbook for accuracy: sometimes I was flying three times/day, frequently twice a day.
By Paul_Sengupta
T6Harvard wrote:I'm waiting for KANGA to mention JAM as a venue

We've done it before, parking on the apron outside. Cake was consumed though we went to the nearby trading estate cafe for lunch.

Matspart3 even came down in his "Follow me" car...and since we all needed to get fuel after the visit, I suggested we all follow him...we had a procession of aeroplanes all following the car along the runway to the other end!
T6Harvard liked this