Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Any current or recent Students from the Forum fancy a meet up at the Duxford Flying Day on the 9th Oct?

Also the kind folks who have spent time offering valuable advice and comforting words to us all.

This idea is hot off the press so comes unformed. I have no idea whether Duxford accepts flying visitors on these event days!

NB - it is advanced tickets only but we bought ours yesterday so there's likely a few left. Parking is included. It is Oct so the weather is not guaranteed but as we all know there's plenty to see there even if the flying is not on.

More info at https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events/ ... ng-day-one

@EdH @G-BLEW @Global moderators
It has been suggested that we sport FLYER lanyards as a form of ID. How can we buy/acquire one each??

Any suggestions of how to organise ourselves when we get there gratefully received ..... @PeteSpencer, have you got any tips??
tr7v8, Cookie liked this
@EdH @G-BLEW @Global moderators
It has been suggested that we sport FLYER lanyards as a form of ID. How can we buy/acquire one each??

Available from our stand at the LAA Rally, or if you let me know how many you think you'll need I'll post them to you.

Ian
By Milty
I think there’s a bit of thread duplication so I’ll pop the below on here too.

Would have been good to put faces to posters/avatars but will be slap bang in the middle of a kitchen refit at home at that time. Enjoy, and maybe will get the chance to meet up in the future on some XC flights.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Cessna571 wrote:Aaargh!

I can’t make it now, I shall be in Bath apparently.

hope everyone has a good time.

Is that your annual bath :lol:

A good reminder that I need to work out how we can all actually find each other on the day and let folks know! Be back later.
By T6Harvard
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:A good reminder that I need to work out how we can all actually find each other on the day and let folks know! Be back later.

How about a WhatsApp group?

Fine by me.

I'll have to scoot off and work out how to set one up. I'm only in one and the organiser had to talk me down to join (sad, I know :lol: )

Meantime, if attendees could ensure they have or obtain a Flyer lanyard*, then at least when closing in on targets on the ground we'd be able to ID without too much unseemly peering at random people.

*** Ian promised to post out on request so I'll email Flyer for mine later *** No point me asking for a few because, well ...... see above ^
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:A good reminder that I need to work out how we can all actually find each other on the day and let folks know! Be back later.

How about a WhatsApp group?

Fine by me.

I'll have to scoot off and work out how to set one up. I'm only in one and the organiser had to talk me down to join (sad, I know :lol: )

Meantime, if attendees could ensure they have or obtain a Flyer lanyard*, then at least when closing in on targets on the ground we'd be able to ID without too much unseemly peering at random people.

*** Ian promised to post out on request so I'll email Flyer for mine later *** No point me asking for a few because, well ...... see above ^

Other than for people with very old phones, location sharing would probably be enough. WhatsApp works well enough for that too, and you can see where people are a lot further away than you could see a lanyard.

We won't all be arriving at the same time, and there won't be that many of us.

Anyway, I'm not sure about a lanyard.... what if I see you lot and don't like the look of you? If I had a lanyard it would be embarrassing to just walk past :wink:

You newbies won't of course, but I bet there are quite a few people around here that remember the Flyer List baseball caps. I actually found mine at the back of a wardrobe the other week, after a clearout. :shock:
tr7v8 liked this