Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I have in the past, as a CRI with an IMCR at the time (I have an IR now), had somebody ask in a well equipped microlight to have an instrument flying appreciation lesson as a biennial. I saw no problem in providing it, he said he got a lot from it, and I'd happily do it again.

Even the most basic aeroplane can be safely flown IMC given skill and luck - if it couldn't why would we train for partial panel? Jeffrey Quill in his autobiography "Spitfire" describes flying basic aerobatics on a panel we'd not normally contemplate instrument flight with, inside cloud, in the mid 1930s as part of the Duxford Met Flight in Siskins!

I think doing this training is an excellent idea, who cares really what it's logged as, so long as the learning is taken on board.

I absolutely wouldn't recommend anybody trying to self-teach this stuff.

G
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
TopCat wrote:However, I'd strongly recommend ensuring that you get some time with the instructor in actual cloud as well as with foggles.

Maybe not in the microlight though, eh? :D

Why not? Zenair 601 seems like a perfectly respectable 3-axis aircraft, with a standard instrument set, according to the OP.
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
TopCat wrote:However, I'd strongly recommend ensuring that you get some time with the instructor in actual cloud as well as with foggles.

Maybe not in the microlight though, eh? :D

Why not? Zenair 601 seems like a perfectly respectable 3-axis aircraft, with a standard instrument set, according to the OP.

Because only aircraft that are approved for IMC flight may do so. Most certified aircraft would be.

Permit aircraft can be approved by the LAA on an aircraft by aircraft basis for types they have jurisdiction over (and presumably by type by the CAA, where the permit is issued by them). I've no idea whether the BMAA have the same capability for microlights (but I suspect not).
But the aircraft does not to be IMC legal to fly with the P1 (instructor) in VMC regardless of whether the PuT is under foggles or not.

Rob P
By GrahamB
Rob P wrote:But the aircraft does not to be IMC legal to fly with the P1 (instructor) in VMC regardless of whether the PuT is under foggles or not.

Rob P

Indeed. My response was to @TopCat's 'Why not?'.
Rob P liked this
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Maybe not in the microlight though, eh? :D

Because only aircraft that are approved for IMC flight may do so. Most certified aircraft would be.

Fair point. I've only flown certified aircraft, so if I ever knew that, I'd forgotten. Foggles it is then, if IMC isn't legal in that aircraft, but it seems like another of these laws where to stay legal you have to sacrifice safety.

Fortunately by the time I got my IMC rating the first time, I had some time in actual cloud as well as under foggles. It was quite a shock. I rarely get the leans instrument flying with foggles or under the hood. But they're quite frequent and intense in actual cloud, and if it's at all lumpy it's way harder.

Probably just me. I'm sure most sky gods can do a couple of hours in foggles in perfect conditions and transit straight to cloud flying perfectly safely...
GrahamB liked this
TopCat wrote:Probably just me. I'm sure most sky gods can do a couple of hours in foggles in perfect conditions and transit straight to cloud flying perfectly safely...

I don’t think so @TopCat. I have done a number of ‘1st time in real IMC’ type lessons and my experience is that the pilots find it quite different than simulating an IMC environment by means of foggles or other vision limiting devices. There is an immediate slight climb as they visibly tense up.
Disregarding the fact that @TopCat 's post wasn't actually serious, I am sure you are correct and that real IMC comes as a shock to those who have done all their instrument training under foggles. There may be some visible tensing etc, but they still stand a much better chance of survival than if they had not undergone that training.

Rob P