Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Skip to 50 secs if short on time. I've also put up a go around on my channel, where I touch down but know it's going to bounce.

Instructor has put me on insurance for solo but it feels like it keeps going further into the future...

Last week weather was pants, had another chance that wed but plane got stuck over in Gloucester for various reasons...

Was a bit unsettled this last Friday with crosswind gusts upto when I filmed this probably not the best day for solo. But got some more experience in cross wind landings.

Get there in the end. :lol: Will be doing Sackville to Kemble on NavEx so that will be fun.
By StratoTramp
GoPro does distort (Is a fisheye so makes things look closer and further away in different parts of the image) but you are right, it was about 100 feet lower than we'd normally do to try use the tree line on the left for more shelter. Usually i always tend to end up too high!

Video is on 60fps so seems to make things more fluid. It is about 55 knots to the oaks then 50 and down from there.
To be honest the approach on the video does look rather 'sporting', but it's not quite as bad as it looks. 31 at Sackville is rather fun.
But you flew over the school in the village and were way too low going past Uncle David's garden.
Cross winds at Sackville aren't as worrysome as you'd think because the trees will always shelter the last 30' or so. So do a crabbed approach at a much steeper angle and straighten up just before rounding out. It's actually really easy.
You shouldn't need to fly between the last lot of trees. I'd want you to be higher and steeper than that. Doing that you'll land shorter anyway. But it's a hugely long runway...
StratoTramp, TopCat liked this
By StratoTramp
Yeah is really long for Microlight. We try to get down before the big bump inline at the windsock where an old hedgerow used to be. Do you fly there often?

I should have maybe said "one of the better ones, for me... on that day..." lol! In no way saying this is how it should be done... :lol:
By Morten
StratoTramp wrote:...use the tree line on the left for more shelter. ...

This is new to me. Would you not expect there to be rather more unpredictable/messy/rotor/turbulent wind behind (or, for that matter, in front of) the trees than elsewhere? I tend to prefer a steady crosswind from whatever turbulence I get from trees or buildings (or mountains...)
Of course, you don't always have any choice, but 'seeking shelter' behind the trees is something I've not seen before.