Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi,

I started my LAPL training end of May and working through circuits hoping to solo very soon. I have all the usual text books etc and have links to various online training sites etc.

I'm looking for any links to good Podcasts that cover the main PPL ground exam topics. I'm currently studying Air Law (Pooleys and Skyway code 2021).

Any advice or links to Podcasts / online training sites would be gratefully received.

Drew Brown.
Milty liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve not really found any podcasts on the topics but there are a few general learning to fly ones. They’re not the greatest listen but I’ve found them useful in just being familiar with radio traffic and some terminology.

I am using Easy PPL Groundschool. I quite like the format in that it’s broken down into sections and basically like reading PowerPoint slides. I find it easy to dip in and out of. You can get a free 3 day access to air law so you can give it a try and see if you like it. As you progress, you can do full mock exams. Once you’ve passed I think 3 mocks, you get a certain to present to your FI to put you forward for the actual exams. I’m a bit sketchy on the last bit as I’m struggling with knuckling down to the sheer volume of rote learning in air law but getting there. It’s been a long time since I learned in this manner.

I’m also finding it easier when cross referencing air space classes by looking at them on charts or skydemon light. Just makes it a bit more relevant.

Good luck with it all.
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve not really found any podcasts on the topics but there are a few general learning to fly ones. They’re not the greatest listen but I’ve found them useful in just being familiar with radio traffic and some terminology.

I am using Easy PPL Groundschool. I quite like the format in that it’s broken down into sections and basically like reading PowerPoint slides. I find it easy to dip in and out of. You can get a free 3 day access to air law so you can give it a try and see if you like it. As you progress, you can do full mock exams. Once you’ve passed I think 3 mocks, you get a certain to present to your FI to put you forward for the actual exams. I’m a bit sketchy on the last bit as I’m struggling with knuckling down to the sheer volume of rote learning in air law but getting there. It’s been a long time since I learned in this manner.

I’m also finding it easier when cross referencing air space classes by looking at them on charts or skydemon light. Just makes it a bit more relevant.

Good luck with it all.