Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does all the knowledge ever go in and stick?

I’m working through air law on easyppl groundschool. A reasonable amount seems to be going in but airspace classification and VFR vs IFR in different airspace I’m struggling to make it stick in my head.

My FI also suggested I download and work through CAP413 as I can’t fly this week due to work commitments. This is just another mere 300+ pages (although conservatively 50 are intentionally blank or admin waffle).

Not started on op proc yet. Hoping this will be a bit more logical.

I’m sure it will all go in eventually and I’m probably expecting too much, too soon and just need to plough through it all. It’s just been so long since I had to learn in this manner.

Vent over - back to the books…
By johnm
Time, patience and perseverance will pay off. I read for hours and hours commuting by train.....
Milty liked this
By Fellsteruk
CAP413 is great but it’s pretty dry, sky way code is an easier read and frankly so is The pooleys book, 7, I think is the comms one.

This won’t be of any help to change how you’re feeling right now however, this is normal, I was the same and it takes time, some subjects are harder than others. You’ll feel better when you pass the first one then it creeps in again as you start that learning curve again.

Try to focus on one topic at a time, don’t let the fear of other subjects get the best of you.

Give sky way code a read, it’s far easier to understand. Have you seen this:
https://www.nats.aero/wp-content/upload ... ations.jpg

I found using this to get use to the different class of space and separation very useful as a picture is easier than text and helps you visualize

Good luck with the study and keep at it, if your getting brain fog make sure you take a break from it all a day or two of no books and learning can help
Milty liked this
By Milty
Thanks johnm and Fellsteruk.

Wise words - I just need to knuckle down and be patient.

I’m working through the skyway code too and agree, it seems a bit ‘lighter’ and easier to grasp.

That graphic is in the ppl groundschool slides. I need to spend the appropriate amount of time committing it to memory. At present, I’m working through the content and picking the low hanging fruit, then going back and building on the areas that I need deeper understanding.

I’m a bit impatient by nature. I suspect that there’s method in the learning and exam process to keep people like me grounded until we’ve learned it properly. I’m seeing that impatience is not a great GA virtue and I’m sure I’ll reap the benefits in time.
By dc3guy
Hi Milty!

Yes it’s overwhelming. I didn’t think much would stick until I had around 20hrs under my belt, then it all starts to make sense.

Airspace Classification: With the way my brain works, I need to understand the reasoning behind a rule, so I have simplified it here. Think of the busiest airspace being Class A with the most restrictions and going down to the quietest Class G:

————-

A,B & C are all out of our (VFR) reach:

Class A: Very busy controlled airspace - (think Heathrow)

Class B: not used in the UK but it’s for secondary busy airspace. US airports use Class B as they’re just huge

Class C: Very high airspace (above FL195)

Class D: Controlled Airfields. I fly from Bournemouth which is all Class D and controlled by Bournemouth ATC.

Class E: Most of Scotland. Similar to Class G but with slightly more rules

Class F: at his used to be Scotland also but with lining up to EU rules this was all but changed to Class E

Class G: Everything else!

I’ve gone in to more detail here, again just so I could remember it all:

http://studentpilotguide.co.uk/airspace ... fications/

If anyone else can let me know of any errors I’m always up for learning!

Mark
abiopete liked this
By Milty
Thanks dc3guy. Good reference material and a simple breakdown. I’m similar in that I like to be able to understand how and why things are the way they are. I’ve always struggled just learning ‘facts’. I’ll take a deeper look when a bit less mind fried.
By dc3guy
:thumleft: It’s a huge bulk of information to swallow! But definitely all there for a reason.

If there is anything else that doesn’t stick let me know as I have enjoyed looking in to each subject.

M
Milty liked this
By GrahamB
I'd point out that Class C is not just above FL195.

There are chunks of it over the Irish Sea between Liverpool and the Isle of Man down as low as 3500'. It wouldn't surprise me if more appeared as the CAA review airspace progressively.
johnm, Milty liked this
By GrahamB
dc3guy wrote:Would that be the Helicopter Traffic Zones?

No, it's the Holyhead CTA which forms the wrapper for a number of ATS routes ('Airways') between the mainland and IOM and NI.
By dc3guy
Well that’s given me an evening of investigation!

So is Class C all airspace above FL195, plus it’s used for areas of higher activity that is not around CTA/CTR’s?

M
By T6Harvard
You will get it but Air Law has A LOT to remember and it's a pretty dry subject. You are right of course, it's easier to remember if you understand why the rule is important.

I've found Easy PPL Ground school really good for the summary slides, progress tests and most of all the mock exams.
They have a huge question bank so taking the mock exam a few times brings up completely different questions. Their explainers for every question whether you got it right or wrong are a brilliant help as you debrief. Also note they include prompts, such as ' the key here is....'

For Air Law isn't there a section of about 12 or 14 mini tests?

It WILL sink in, honestly :mrgreen:
Milty, bladerunner911 liked this
By editmonkey
Not sure how long you’ve been training - I’m still a relative newcomer but I’m finding that the theory makes much more sense as the actual flying progresses. Things like Principles of Flight and Aircraft General become much more intuitive as I get to know the plane performance, manoeuvres and checklists better. Comms makes more sense as you discover the regular patterns and sequences of doing it for real.

Air Law is a bit of an outlier, I’ve found that just reading and rereading, with the mock test book from Pooleys helps things stick. But as others have mentioned above, Skyway Code is a really great condensation of the practical stuff. PPL tutor is a good app with lots of mock questions and I think it was only a tenner.

It’ll stick eventually. Good luck!
Milty liked this
By leiafee
Okay edu-science incoming…

Are you familiar with cover/write/check and spaced repetition for straightforward “stuff that has to be memorised”?

Start by summarising that airspace stuff (or whatever needs rote learning) into a diagram or table of your own. Rows or columns for the classifications and all the key info.

Make loads of blank copies.

Fill in the original from the book. This is now your reference (I promise that writing it physically yourself is part of the storage process in your brain moreso than reading it)

Turn it upside down. Fill in a blank one from memory. Don’t get cross with yourself when you can’t do it all even though you literally just looked. Working memory is shorter than you think and this stuff isn’t in long term memory yet, maybe not even in short term.

What we’re doing with cover/write/check is steadily moving the data it from working to short term to long term memory.

Do it until you can do it there immediately. It’ll take a few goes.

Do it again an hour later. You’ll have forgotten chunks. Don’t get cross. Some is now in short term rather than working but only a little more is in long term. Do it at that point until you get it right.

Same a few hours later.
A Day
2 Days
4 Days,
A Week.

Often a week will be enough for it to stay in long term. But keep going with incrasingly spacing if not.

Then experiment with filling it in in different sequences so you know you can summon the individual data points not just polly parrot the table.
bladerunner911, Milty, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
By Milty
editmonkey wrote:Not sure how long you’ve been training - I’m still a relative newcomer but I’m finding that the theory makes much more sense as the actual flying progresses. Things like Principles of Flight and Aircraft General become much more intuitive as I get to know the plane performance, manoeuvres and checklists better. Comms makes more sense as you discover the regular patterns and sequences of doing it for real.

Air Law is a bit of an outlier, I’ve found that just reading and rereading, with the mock test book from Pooleys helps things stick. But as others have mentioned above, Skyway Code is a really great condensation of the practical stuff. PPL tutor is a good app with lots of mock questions and I think it was only a tenner.

It’ll stick eventually. Good luck!

Thank you. I’m 3 flying hours in so far. First trial lesson was 20 July so very new really. I agree that I think some of the theory to come will be easier as it relates to doing things. I’m also an engineer of sorts, did principles of flight when I was in the ATC in my yoof and am more practically minded. I agree, the air law just seems to be a lot of fact based stuff that I just have to plough through. I’ll get there I’m sure.

Good luck with your ongoing training. I’m enjoying the support of others going through the same experiences.
T6Harvard, editmonkey liked this