Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
leiafee wrote:Okay edu-science incoming…

Are you familiar with cover/write/check and spaced repetition for straightforward “stuff that has to be memorised”?

Start by summarising that airspace stuff (or whatever needs rote learning) into a diagram or table of your own. Rows or columns for the classifications and all the key info.

Make loads of blank copies.

Fill in the original from the book. This is now your reference (I promise that writing it physically yourself is part of the storage process in your brain moreso than reading it)

Turn it upside down. Fill in a blank one from memory. Don’t get cross with yourself when you can’t do it all even though you literally just looked. Working memory is shorter than you think and this stuff isn’t in long term memory yet, maybe not even in short term.

What we’re doing with cover/write/check is steadily moving the data it from working to short term to long term memory.

Do it until you can do it there immediately. It’ll take a few goes.

Do it again an hour later. You’ll have forgotten chunks. Don’t get cross. Some is now in short term rather than working but only a little more is in long term. Do it at that point until you get it right.

Same a few hours later.
A Day
2 Days
4 Days,
A Week.

Often a week will be enough for it to stay in long term. But keep going with incrasingly spacing if not.

Then experiment with filling it in in different sequences so you know you can summon the individual data points not just polly parrot the table.

Thank you. Great advice.

I’m on board with the principles. I have an 18 and a 20 year old who have recently been through A-levels so I’m trying to use some of their techniques for revision. It’s tricky though whilst trying to keep a happy wife and running a business.

Fully agree with writing things down in my own interpretation as opposed to just reading and expecting it to stick. I’m also planning to make up some topic cards with questions and answers. You have a number of boxes (4 I think). You put all cards in box 1. You take on out - if you can answer it, it goes into box 2. If you can’t, it goes back into box 1. At a time period later (hours/days), go through box 1 and 2 again. If you get box 2 correct, put into box 3. If wrong, back to box 1. Rinse and repeat. I think this is basically a method to help achieve the same result as you suggest.

Whilst being overwhelmed and a bit frustrated, it’s great to be pushed outside of my comfort zone.

I’m also summarising on a table the tests that I’m doing and the scores I get. It’s helping me see that I am progressing but also helps me see that areas that I still need more practice and learning on.

Thanks again for the advice.
T6Harvard, leiafee liked this
By TopCat
leiafee wrote:Okay edu-science incoming…

Are you familiar with cover/write/check and spaced repetition for straightforward “stuff that has to be memorised”?

+1 for this technique.

I'd add speaking as well as writing. Say stuff out loud.
Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Yep, say it out loud so you take the info in via hearing it as well :mrgreen:

Makes sense to me, but then I am a chatterbox :lol:

Thanks, @Milty , you've spurred me on to actually book my exams in. First 2 are firmly booked for mid-Sept.
Milty liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
leiafee wrote:Then experiment with filling it in in different sequences so you know you can summon the individual data points not just polly parrot the table.

Once you've done everything Leia says, then try teaching it to someone else. That's when I find it really reinforces it!
Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Thanks again all. I’ll think about trying to teach someone else. My wife’s not been sleeping too well lately - I reckon I’ll be able to sort that out with air law :D
T6Harvard, jcal liked this