Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TrickyWoo
Hello fellow ad astra types!

I went solo today and it was...epic. Nervous of course but epic.

I've two observations

- it's fantastic in mid-life to learn not only 'academic' things but also actual physical ones. A great leveller too in a way. And a privilege. The instructors are fantastic too and as an older student that also is something to enjoy - the professionalism and joy they have when the aircraft still has 2 wings left. 1 wing. I meant 1.

- Chap Advice. If learning meteorology and generally walking about the place pointing out cloud types and demonstrating Msr BB's law of wind, perhaps don't take the other half every time. Maybe just for the first 3 weeks.

Yours aye,

TW
Chipping Norton
Last edited by TrickyWoo on Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W, RobW, TopCat and 13 others liked this
By Rob P
:clap: Well done that man!

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Copycat :D :thumleft: :thumleft:
By Sooty25
Well done! Always good to end a first solo at the same airfield you departed from!

Your next challenge is to start a thread "GST at 51".
By Milty
We’ll done. Must be a great feeling. I can’t imagine what it’s like yet to not have the extra ballast sat next to you.

I’ve only been learning 3 weeks - my significant other spends most of her time muttering about me being a flying bore now :lol:
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By T6Harvard
Milty wrote:We’ll done. Must be a great feeling. I can’t imagine what it’s like yet to not have the extra ballast sat next to you.

I’ve only been learning 3 weeks - my significant other spends most of her time muttering about me being a flying bore now :lol:

Yes but..... you can really turn that to your advantage - anyone boring you / you are too busy to listen to them right now? Just launch into a detailed description of your last lesson and they'll sling their hook. I have perfected the technique with an Aunt who is both moan-y and very rude and unpleasant. Works a treat :mrgreen:
tr7v8, Milty, Morten and 1 others liked this