Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:They don't want to tell you the questions you got wrong, and the answers, for fairly obvious reasons I'd have thought!

GrahamB wrote:If you got feedback on exactly the questions you got wrong, along with the correct answers, how long do you think it would take in this age of the internet for a complete question bank to appear, which (some) people would just learn by rote without even attempting to understand the principles?

I think that one has to be clear about why these exams exist. Is it a right of passage slog to tick a box or is it to ensure that pilots are learning and fully understanding the theory they need to know be able to fly an aeroplane safely?

If its the former then fine, take you chance and play the odds, who needs exam feedback? You either passed or you didnt. Suck it up and try again.

If its the latter and its about a pilot learning theoretical knowledge as they learn to fly to make them a better, safer pilot then there absolutely has to be feedback about exams. You dont need to be given the correct answer, but you do need to understand what you dont know or dont fully understand so you can go away and learn that. To me this means at the very least, you need to know what questions you got wrong.

If there are worries about the question bank appearing on the internet and student "learning the answers only" then maybe our system of teaching and examining for pilot training is wrong...

Regards, SD..
T6Harvard liked this