Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Milty wrote:It is a weird phenomenon isn’t it. At no other time would most people consider a pint at 6am but always amazes me how busy the bars are at airports first thing. In the morning.

We tend to follow habits relating to the current time in airports. Once on the aircraft time relates to the flight schedule organised by the cabin crew and it's champagne on boarding and with breakfast and wine with lunch and supper :-)
Milty liked this
By Milty
A mixed bag of a lesson today.

Had a 4 hour session booked today as I missed one last week and instructor was available. The plan was to do a dual practice QXC, or at least part of it. From Gloucester, the ‘usual’ QXC route is Glos, Cardiff, Halfpenny Green (Wolverhampton) and back to Glos.

Last night, I spent a bit of time reviewing the VFR routes into Cardiff and being familiar with them as well as popping the lines on the map.

This morning we reviewed my planned route and changed the second leg to come back to Newport in preference to heading up over the Welsh hills. Today would have been OK but on a more marginal cloud day, it would be better to head back to Newport and up the lower valleys. Valuable experience gained in planning.

Flight plans have to be filed for Cardiff which today, my instructor did. I look forward to filing my own next time. We didn’t bother with PPR for Halfpenny Green as we didn’t ultimately intend to get there.

So off we went to Cardiff. No major issues with the nav. 3000 down to Chepstow. After all the talk on leaning, I asked to be shown how to do it. About 60 seconds later, we’d done it and keeping an eye on oil temp. No issues at all.

At Chepstow, switched to Cardiff approach and listened out. Very quiet compared to Gloucester where I’d just left. Radio calls all uneventful. Got given a squawk and told to standby for joining instructions. Carried on and just before Newport, dropped to 1400’ to ensure under the 1500’ ceiling. Given the routing by ATC of inbound via the published Cardiff docks, not above 1500’. Note that the readback must include the word ‘published’ so that it’s clear that we’ve read and acknowledged the published routing.

So, overhead Cardiff docks, head towards the factory chimneys behind the airfield, mental note of the Wenvoe mast for the out outbound and all going well.

Approaching the airfield, it was then a right turn to join the downwind for 12. Noted the visual reference for where to fly the 30 circuit. Noted St Athen and made a mental note to not try to land there in future (others have tried by mistake I’m led to believe). Good base turn and then onto final, noting that we were still on QNH to avoid accidentally busting the ceiling so altimeter reading about 200’ higher than AGL. Approach all fine and landing good. Taxi to the school, park up and pay up. All good so far. Advised by the school that instructors previous student earlier this week had been assessed by the tower as ‘superb’. No pressure for my QXC then…

Cafe due to open next week apparently.

Took off again and headed out just east of Wenvoe mast, ensuring not to mistake it with the other one (St Hilary). Climbed again to 1400’ started on changing the radio and some thermals started to push us up close to the 1500’ ceiling. Just about caught that in time. Skirt around the city, up to the M4, advised climbing to 2500’ and back off to Newport.

At Newport, we headed back up the valley, past the gliders at Usk and Monmouth. One glider spotted getting some great thermals and given a wide berth. Just after Monmouth, I was told to divert back to Gloucester. Line drawn on map (getting easier), rough guess on bearing accounting for a bit of wind) and off we Bearing worked out really well against some gross error references.

Back at Gloucester, we had a straight in on 09 and this is where the wheels fell off. Approach speed all over the shop and given a bollocking for getting too slow 60kts). At the last minute, drifted off centreline in the crosswind and landed at an angle. Not my finest. I still don’t feel really confident in landings.

Quick brew, then I asked for some circuits to practice landings. I won’t describe all, but let’s just say speed control not particularly good. One out of 5 was OK. The other 4 not the worst, but not the best either. 2 glide approaches and on one, I caught the throttle with my sleeve putting the flap down and didn’t notice.

Instructor just said don’t worry about the iffy landings. It’s not unsafe and everyone has an off day. Chalk it up to experience and crack on next time. There were things that were a bit unsettling and I don’t offer these as an excuse but just as a recollection.

There were aircraft taking off on 27 as well as 04 which we were given. Just seemed a bit weird. First circuit was LH, second RH, third LH, fourth RH and finally fifth LH. Between the first and second landing, a couple of Strikemasters (I think, don’t shoot me) took off on 27 for a display. Bit distracting and the reason we were given a RH circuit. After the fourth landing, we had to extend the downwind to let them land back on 09. As we turned base, they decided to do a low level pass over the runway. Impressive, but again, distracting. By the time we were on final on 04, so were they on 09. It was going to be tight and in the end, we had to go around for a final LH circuit. So, an interesting set of circuits, but I wouldn’t say I improved as a result of doing them.

So, to summarise… Cardiff trip was good and easier I would say than Gloucester. Radio work has to be pretty precise but apart from that, all seemed simple. Nav was better and getting used to picking up a variety of ground references including terrain and features. Landing I still want to feel more comfortable with. I don’t think they are too bad, but I just don’t feel on top of them yet which is maybe my issue. It feels that the aircraft lands with a bit of help from me and not really because I’m making it do it - hope that makes sense.

37:05 flown. About 7:05 solo.
Last edited by Milty on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard, RobW, ericgreveson and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
So.... maybe a good idea to do a few circuits but ...

..... reading the changes of pattern it sounded more like Morris dancing to me! It would have well and truly done my head in :lol: The set you got were not typical and I guess may have made things seem worse today.

If I may offer some advice now I am an expert ( :D :D :D ) -

Speed control is not difficult unless windshear is an issue. You know exactly how to control it with pitch!
I had the same issue, suddenly after a million circuits I couldn't get 70kts descending on Base. How the hell did that go out of my head??

Solution? Sit in the chair at home and just fly the descent from turning Base.
Feel the controls, alter your pressure on the yoke, trim, watch the airspeed, and chant 'pitch for speed'. After a few of these add in 'power for RoD' :lol:
And then, in case there is a xw on Final, practice getting your feet working the rudder, loosen them up ready for that last second straightening the nose up.

Just re-focus and remember that you remember how to do it!

Oh and do not to allow or facilitate uncommanded throttle movements :mrgreen:

Final words of wisdom :D -

You know how to land but I suspect that concentrating on Nav is still taking a fair amt of capacity. As you re-enter the circuit can you switch off the Nav brain and re-engage landing brain?
Try and give yourself a distinct switchover to full concentration for Base, Final and Landing, as if you were landing for your first solo. I seem to recall your first solo landing was a greaser, because that was ALL you were thinking about. Clearly you can land and can land well, but probably only when you relax into it?

#newly-minted-knowall
Milty, bladerunner911 liked this
By Milty
All wise words and appreciated.

With the benefit of hindsight, I’d probably have been better to go on a solo bimble for 40 mins but when we started, the only inkling was a change of runway which in itself is not uncommon at Glos.

I think this was another lesson that will keep me humble. Reflecting with a bottle of Rioja, I have a suspicion that as I’m improving and learning more, I get lulled into thinking I can do this stuff without thinking about it. Lessons like today take me back down a peg and remind me that I still need to concentrate on things as whilst they’re easier than when I started, they’re still a long way from being natural.
bladerunner911 liked this
By AndyR
1. If a landing feels like it’s going wrong, you always reserve the option to go around.

2. Beating yourself up about your performance doesn’t aid progress. I should know, I used to get told off for that all the time :eye:
Milty, johnm, bladerunner911 liked this
By Milty
Thanks @AndyR I think at Glos, as we have plenty of room, we tend to try to rescue rather than go around. I discussed this today with my instructor who said there was no need to go around, I could have just improved one of them by adding a bit of power. Fully understand that this is not possible at all airfields.

Agree re not beating myself up. I’m just an analytical type character and like to review things good and bad but always with the aim of making things better and trying not to dwell on the negatives. I was really pleased with the Cardiff trip as nav was much improved.
T6Harvard, AndyR liked this
By johnm
You may remember that when I took you flying I made a complete Horlicks of a straight in to 04 :D :roll: :oops:

It's knowing how to go around and sort yourself out that matters, nobody gets it tidy every time, that's why they talk about "greasers" with such joy, they are very rare :D
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Milty
I do recall it John. I’ve mentioned before and still feel that I’m not yet comfortable with at what point does a slightly off landing become a go-around. It’s an experience thing I feel. I did ask my instructor if we should have gone around on any of the landings and he said whilst not pretty, none really needed a go around in his opinion. But therein lies the issue that it’s his opinion based maybe on his experience level and not necessarily mine (how could it be). There’s a balance to be struck as a student I think where the decision is mine but also taking guidance from someone more experienced. All part of the learning fun.
By lobstaboy
Milty wrote:... I did ask my instructor if we should have gone around on any of the landings and he said whilst not pretty, none really needed a go around in his opinion. But therein lies the issue that it’s his opinion based maybe on his experience level and not necessarily mine (how could it be). There’s a balance to be struck as a student I think where the decision is mine but also taking guidance from someone more experienced. All part of the learning fun.

At your stage he is letting you see what happens and how to deal with it.
Instructors have a graded series of prompts. A bit like this:
-how's your height?
- do you think you're a bit low?
-you are too low, what are you going to do about it?
-apply more power now!
-you need to go around!!
-alright, I have control, going around
He's pretty comfortable if only needing to use the first two or maybe three before you take the right action.
And you're wrong about his vs your experience level - he knows your level of experience better than you do, hence he won't let you get into a situation where he has to take control. Or he shouldn't, because if he does it means he's made a mistake. You're not learning at that point(obvs I'm not talking about him taking control in order to demonstrate something).
But you're doing well to be self critical - that's how we improve! Good stuff :)
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Milty
Todays news - QXC tentatively booked for Monday. Long range BBC forecast looking hopeful for Glos, Cardiff and Wolverhampton.

It’s starting to really blow my mind that this is a possibility. 12 months ago, I’d not even had a trial lesson and had no idea what a QXC would be.
T6Harvard, AndyR, ericgreveson and 3 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Milty wrote:Todays news - QXC tentatively booked for Monday. Long range BBC forecast looking hopeful for Glos, Cardiff and Wolverhampton.

It’s starting to really blow my mind that this is a possibility. 12 months ago, I’d not even had a trial lesson and had no idea what a QXC would be.

's good innit?? :mrgreen:
By TopCat
lobstaboy wrote:At your stage he is letting you see what happens and how to deal with it.
Instructors have a graded series of prompts. A bit like this:
-how's your height?
- do you think you're a bit low?
-you are too low, what are you going to do about it?
-apply more power now!

Ah yes.

"Power!"

Then, disgustedly...

"Well, you got it down."

Rings in my ears to this day.