Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
VRB_20kt wrote:You may be surprised to know that you're far from alone in finding it hard to fly along the extended centreline. I think it may be because we sit to the left and our brain wants us to put the line on the right. The correct view all the way down final is exactly in line. Make no allowance for where you're sitting at all. If you're spot on, you will land maybe a foot to the right of the centreline but you won't have any faffing about trying to fix things in the last couple of hundred feet. In due course you'll sort out that foot.

My "rule" on landing is to fix things as soon as possible during the approach so that you free up brain space to get the round-out and flare right.

Thank you - I think that is what I found out on my last 2 landings. Centreline was pretty much in line with me - it felt odd but I suspect I was subconsciously over-compensating and your comment would seem to concur with that. Hope it still makes sense next time I'm up in the air :thumleft:
By Milty
Wow, what a fun lesson and not what I was expecting.

Got to the airfield and the wind-sock was straight down. Metar showing 0kts. Was thinking today may be solo day. Even if not, at least a bit of a quieter wind day so able to practice improving landings without the challenge of crosswinds and gusts. It was not to be...

Todays plan was to fly over to Kemble which is the diversion airfield for Gloucester. The principle being, if there's an issue at Gloucester while I'm solo in the circuit, I'm at least familiar with roughly where to go. Plus, it's nice to mix it up a bit and cheaper than Gloucester and only about 10 mins away.

Pre-flight all uneventful, radio getting more natural without having to think about it quite as much. Roll down the runway, rotate, get to about 200ft then wham, hit by a massive crosswind. Probably over-dramatised it a bit, but really not what I or the instructor was expecting (you could argue we should have checked winds at 2000).

A nice bimble down to Kemble but the DI was out and I hadn't noticed (note, there is a reason for FREDA checks) so we didn't fly the most direct route. Really bad sun direct into our eyes though - very challenging to read the instruments and try and keep a lookout. Any tips??

6 T&G at Kemble - all pretty uneventful but with a decent gusty crosswind again so quite challenging. Centreline alignment was a lot better. I don't recall if it was on the forum or on some other research I did, but it was mentioned about having the centreline going over my right shoulder. I think it was a combination of that and having the sight picture from last week's final 2 landings but it seemed better. That said, nothing was particularly straight as it was pretty lumpy and gusty.

On the third T&G, my instructor got me to practice flying at about 5ft from the runway along about half the length before letting it touch down, feathering the pitch and throttle. I did OK it seems - again challenging and enjoyable. These things make it all a bit more interesting.

An amusing event whilst down there as another aircraft called a potential issue with the undercarriage. It was all resolved though after about 15 minutes - I will spare the pilot his blushes in case he is on here but let's just say, there was nothing wrong with his undercarriage.

Flight back to Gloucester pretty uneventful. Good radio work to request the rejoin and back down safely.

Things are starting to make sense a bit more now. On both airfield approaches, we were inbound from the deadside and whilst I'd planned it a bit beforehand, it just seemed logical when presented with the airfield what to do. For posterity, it was overfly at 2000 on QFE (we'd approached at 2500 on QNH), across the runway 26 numbers from the deadside with the runway on the right (RH circuit). 180 and back over the 08 numbers and from then on, a standard OH join. Simples I'm sure for you experienced folk, but something new for me.

For the record, I continue to like the style of my instructor. The purpose of the trip to Kemble has enhanced my feeling of safety to know that I'm prepared for an event that could happen. The mixing up of circuits, a bit of introduction to nav etc. all keeps it interesting. He works me hard and admits he's been criticised for this by some, but for me, I like it (while it's still going OK that is).

Still not verified for exams by the CAA so that's got to wait a bit longer. Maybe this weekend.

Again for the record, I'm becoming less bothered about how quickly I go solo. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the golden moment of going solo and I won't lie, I'm excited by the prospect having seen other's experiences. But I'm enjoying the learning a lot. I know it opens up the next stage of nav, then solo nav etc. but actually, I'm getting a nice intro to that through my current syllabus. It will come when it comes and progress has also been influenced by weather so nowt I can do about that anyway.

13th lesson, 14h15 mins. Grinning like a Cheshire cat in a cream factory.
By TopCat
Milty wrote:On the third T&G, my instructor got me to practice flying at about 5ft from the runway along about half the length before letting it touch down, feathering the pitch and throttle. I did OK it seems - again challenging and enjoyable. These things make it all a bit more interesting.

It's an excellent exercise.
For the record, I continue to like the style of my instructor.

If he's getting you to do things like that, so do I.

Sounds like you're doing well. :thumleft:

Top tip: don't give the game away by referring to a bit of rough air in the climbout as a 'massive crosswind'. :wink: :wink:
Milty liked this
By T6Harvard
That sounds like a lot of fun! Well done on all the challenges too.
Thanks for the great write up.

[I asked about our diversion airfield after the runway being temp blocked at Tatenhill last week. We are very close to Derby so I mentioned that as the nearest, albeit grass. Nope. Diversion airfield is, apparently, ..... East Midlands. No idea how THAT would go?!]
Milty liked this
By Milty
@T6Harvard You've got to mix it up with the big boys one day :D . One of the common airports that they use from Gloucester for training is Cardiff. Not the biggest, but I think it will be quite funny landing our little C152 amongst even 737's. I liked the post on here a few weeks ago from the person who was complimented by the KLM pilot for his landing at BHX while the KLM was holding. That's on the bucket list now. :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
I used East Midlands doing my IR. I got down to 250 ft loads of times but never landed and never saw the place (screens up) :D
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By FlightDek
I fly from Liverpool, always mixing with the commercial stuff. No big deal as ATC there are great. I learned to fly at Hawarden. It was a great feeling when the tower had the Beluga hold on the apron, while I landed my tomahawk :thumleft:
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Milty
@FlightDek I love that mental picture.

For those learning at much smaller airfields and feeling daunted about going to ATC airfields, in my limited experience so far, ATC are great. Generally helpful, accommodating and understanding that you might be learning. Certainly at Gloucester, where I’ve messed up, they just pop in a polite but firm correction. Today for example, I called Gloucester tower on the approach frequency. No big deal, they responded confirming they were Gloucester approach firmly but nicely.
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Milty wrote:Really bad sun direct into our eyes though - very challenging to read the instruments and try and keep a lookout. Any tips??

Use your map as a sun shade? Alternatively get one of these things:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/sunguardbig.php

Milty wrote:it was mentioned about having the centreline going over my right shoulder.

Wouldn't that make you inverted?

Milty wrote:I will spare the pilot his blushes in case he is on here but let's just say, there was nothing wrong with his undercarriage.

Did he have the lights on?

Aren't Gloucester approach and tower normally band boxed anyway?
By Milty
@Paul_Sengupta

Thanks for the sunshade tip.

Ref the right shoulder, fair point. I shall now consider the centreline passing under my right **** cheek.

Panel lights were dimmed and it was a bright day.

Gloucester tower and approach are banded at times but generally split at 10am.
By Milty
My lesson summary on Thursday with a bit of unexpected breeze seems a bit melodramatic today as I look out of the window at some very wobbly trees :shock: :lol:
T6Harvard, jcal liked this
By Milty
Full report...

Arrived at the airfield having checked out the wind forecast. Expected to be 7kt from the N or NW so blowing across 27. Not really expecting anything really and not sure if we would do circuits or break off for a bit of nav. After last week, I checked the wind at height and it was blowing strong - circa 35kt at 3000 so I was expecting a bumpy ride once we were up whatever.

On arrival, the wind sock was barely moving, sky a glorious blue with the odd vapour trail.

CAA still not pulled their thumb out so couldn't take exams. Instructor advised that as the weather was so great and we'll possibly wait a long time to get the same again, if I was OK after a few circuits, he would hop out. Stress level through the roof, but if he's got faith in me, I guess I should too.

Flew 4 circuits - all reasonably OK. Wind very calm on the surface but a decent wind at 1000 so had to compensate in the circuit. Radio OK. Heights OK. Bit steep on the turn onto crosswind. Approach a bit high and overflew the centreline a couple of times but the landings all OK. So after 4, he calls the tower and I drop him off.

A nice little pep talk on what to remember, then off I go on my own.

I was incredibly nervous at this point. Nearly thought about bailing out if I'm honest. Mind went blank for a few seconds and I nearly just started to taxi without asking permission. But then, the training kicked in and I gave myself a virtual slap.

First radio call pre-fixed with 'student' - it felt good and natural and was the realisation that I needed that this was really happening and I had to get my act together. Nice taxi to A2. Even remembered to wiggle a bit (the aircraft, not me) to check the DI and turn indicator which I almost always have to be picked up on.

Vital checks, cleared to take-off and off we go. It did go up much better without the instructor as was promised and others have mentioned. Was at circuit height pretty much as I finished the turn onto crosswind so had a bit more time to get settled.

Onto downwind - I was the only one in the circuit so nice and quiet and I got my call in nice and early. Bit of BUMFILCH. Was plenty chilly so I left the carb heat out for a good length of time and had a nice look about.

Before I knew it, carb heat was out again (I've been forgetting that a few times so was pleased I remembered it) the turn onto base was upon me so round I went, then dumped all the power to be sure I got down OK. It seemed to hang for ages with only me in it.

Onto final, radio call done and now time to focus. 2 whites, 2 reds - first time in ages that was correct at this point so a good omen. I'd overshot the centreline so had to get back on track but it was all OK by the time I crossed the road. 3 reds so a bit of extra power needed, then down we go. Pulled it level, ballooned a bit but we got down safe and sound.

Rolled along the runway waiting for the controller to give me some instruction but he was busy on other calls. Continued to taxi and exited at C1 then stopped over the line and asked for permission to taxi. Apparently, that was the right thing to do as the controller had not acknowledged my landing or location.

Had a complete brain fart reading back the taxi instruction but got it OK on the second time.

So, taxi back to the flying school with another wiggle (me this time, not the aircraft), shutdown checks, handshakes and it all seemed a bit surreal. I've flown an aeroplane on my own and survived.

Very grateful to my instructor for getting me so well prepared. Once underway, it felt natural. Not polished by any stretch of the imagination, but achievable with some confidence and I owe a lot to him for that. Thanks also to all those on this forum who have contributed with tips and encouragement - it really is appreciated.

I was really pleased that I did my solo in G-BIMT as this was the aircraft that I did my trial lesson in on 20-7-2021 so it felt 'right' that I should do my first solo in this one too.

So, I now have a 'self' entry in my logbook with the singular Ex14 and a P1 entry.

Exactly 15 hours before I went solo. 14 lessons. 15h15m total now. Cheeks (facial) are hurting quite a lot now as I can't stop grinning like a gormless idiot :lol: :D
bladerunner911, jcal, T6Harvard and 7 others liked this