Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By jcal
Milty wrote:Firstly, seems like I'm flying too much (if there is such a thing). Plan was to do this over 18 months. I booked a weekly lesson expecting some to be cancelled due to weather or work and that doesn't seem to be the case. Winter is on its way though which I'm sure will peg me back a few weeks.

I remember when I started I was told that if I wanted to do 1 lesson a week to book 2 and expect about 1 to get cancelled on average, so I've been doing that from the start and end up doing the 2 lessons more weeks than I expected, so I see what you mean.

Have you ever found that it's "too much" in terms of mental capacity though? I found one weekend I was flying 2 days in a row and did find that I wasn't quite ready for the next lesson mentally, so there definitly is a too much for me I think.

Milty wrote:Today was a trip from Gloucester up to Halfpenny Green (Wolverhampton). Plan was to intro a bit of nav (enjoyed this part) and do plenty of T&G/landings at Halfpenny Green where it's cheaper than Glos. A good plan, until we got to Halfpenny Green and the cloud base was pretty low and murky. Managed a T&G, then landed for a brew to see if it cleared. Got back in the air, it hadn't cleared so one more T&G then back to Gloucester. It seems like it was just murky around Halfpenny Green as it cleared just a couple of miles south.

Super interesting lesson! The fact that you had to stay at the field for a break waiting for weather I bet is excellent experience of what it'll be like in real trips!
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm still only at max 1 per week so not finding it too mentally challenging. I'd happily do another one like this week tomorrow. Last weeks lesson I would not like to repeat in a short space of time. I'm just spending a bit more money upfront than I'd thought about and going a bit quicker than planned but it's a marathon, not a sprint. I'm sure it will equal out a bit over time and I can start booking alternate weeks if not.

It was a good experience to land away. I'm interested in the workings of ATC so was good to set foot in albeit a small and very quiet tower today and chat to the nice guys there. Bacon sarny was pretty good at the cafe too. My only concern now is that it's going to make plodding in the Gloucester circuit on solo lessons very dull for a few weeks when that eventually happens but I'll at least have a taste of why I'm doing it.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Great lesson today. It’s 3 weeks since I last flew as 1 cancelled due to weather and last week had to take youngest to uni.

Some days are just good. I was quite chilled out this morning while waiting to go.

We re-flew the aborted mission from the 3rd Sep up to Halfpenny for circuits. Weather was glorious. Strangely very quiet leaving Glos this morning so straight out. Radio calls coming on nicely and a bit more natural sounding this week (to me anyway).

So smooth on the way up - not flown in weather like that so far.

Joined on downwind and did the first T&G on 16. Not too bad but I keep dropping the left wing. Noticed that the instructor kept saying I need to move right but to me it looked like I was perfectly on centreline. I was therefore dropping the left wing trying to bring it back from where I was being positioned. It happened 3 times. We chatted about it and I think it could be my wonky eye but on the 4th when in my mind, I was landing right of centreline, I absolutely aced it. Just got to learn where to compensate I guess.

6 T&G’s in total. Each one, I was being told less and less what to do and doing more by myself. Radio calls in circuit were good. The tower guys at Halfpenny Green seem a friendly bunch.

Ground rush seemed a bit less apparent today. I still needed the instructor to point out exactly when to level out but I did get the sink point that trigger when to pull the nose up. It’s starting to make sense.

Nice flight back again until some lumpy air near Glos. think it was wind shear turbulence I’m told.

Approach radio calls that were a bit more complex I struggled more and had a complete brain fart on one.

SOHJ back into Glos and a crosswind landing (left wing down, right rudder method). Not the finest all bits of plane and pilots still in tact. Same number of landings as take offs which I’m taking as a win!

Instructor seemed happy. Thinks 2-3 more and I should be ok for a solo. Glos circuits next week and at some point, I need to do my medical check flight. Better knuckle down to some serious book worming for air law and ops.

6 lessons. 7h15m. Painful cheeks from mindless grinning. Waiting now for the wheels to fall off (probably when we revisit stall training).
johnm, JAFO, jcal and 2 others liked this
By jcal
Sounds a lot like one of my recent lessons! Keep riding that high :).

Have you started doing EFATO and flapless landings yet? That's next on my list before cleared for solo, which is hopefuly in 1-2 more circuit-hours. Of course, after Air Law! Which I've been cramming every day the last week and a half, it's a tough one! I'm usually good at studying but the amount of pure memorization is not one of my strengths, so struggling a bit to split the hairs on the mock exam questions.

I'm aiming to do the exam in the next 2 weeks, but wont dive in to it unless I'm ready, so it might be longer.

Not even opened ops, so don't think I'll do them at the same time, air law is keeping me plenty busy. I can always do ops shortly after to make the most of the overlap.
By Milty
@jcal

Had an intro to EFATO a few weeks ago but not since. If circuits go ok next week, we’re going to look at flapless and glide landings too.

I need to get my head into air law. I’m hating it. Similar to you, I’m not a fan of learning by rote. I don’t consider myself dim but just learning facts in high detail without relevance is a challenge for me. I’m also struggling with time as work is really busy and I feel guilty for taking time out for the lessons. I’ll find a way though - today is quite motivating.

@T6Harvard

I’m hoping to do both together as I’ve been advised to try that if possible. I’ve just started into ops on easyppl but not got too far yet. I’m hoping that mixing a bit more intuitive stuff will help.

Still grinning.
T6Harvard, johnm, jcal liked this
By Milty

Not overly upset with that today. Another 1hr10m.

Bit windy - on the ground was 9kts almost straight down 27 but quite a bit from the north when at height.

Pretty busy in the circuit - had to do 1 go-around as the controller popped someone onto the runway as we were about halfway down final then asked them to hold, extend 2 downwinds and one loop between crosswind and downwind.

Got transferred to a left hand circuit for one. I don't think I cut the LH crosswind leg that much - looks like the GPS dropped out (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Had two aircraft with similar call-signs so had to give full call-sign for about 15 mins.

Those not familiar with Gloucester - I'm not cutting the first corner - there's noise abatement.

Did the last 3 from base to final without instruction or input from the FI.

I'm comfortable after today that if the FI came a cropper, there's a reasonable chance that I could get us down in roughly one piece - it might not be pretty, but it would be functional.

7 lessons, 8h 25. Might be the same next week or might be something else - depends on the weather. Made a nice change to fly in the afternoon rather than the morning slot.

Still grinning!
johnm, JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Milty wrote:one loop between crosswind and downwind.

:shifty:

Do you mean an orbit?

Milty wrote:I don't think I cut the LH crosswind leg that much - looks like the GPS dropped out (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Yes, that can be seen from the direct straight track...unless you got very good at straight and level all of a sudden! :D
By T6Harvard
Excellent, @Milty ! Thanks for the report. Some challenges in there so a great experience again.

As an aside, will Strava be giving out prizes for fastest and longest run this Year? :lol:

Glad you are still grinning. I haven't flown for 2 whole weeks and it's made me miserable. Instructor txd this morning to check on next week's schedule and I panicked thinking he was going to cancel. All is good, double lesson Monday. It's cheered me up no end!

Crack on with Air Law and Ops, you may need them asap, depending on you school's rules...... :mrgreen:

I'm well into Comms. Am going to ask school to book me in for Comms and Human Performance then I'll have 3 months to sit them.
I do intend to do them before mid Nov but MrT6 has booked us 2 nice staycations so I'm not entirely sure how much revision will get done when :D
Milty liked this
By Milty
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Milty wrote:one loop between crosswind and downwind.

:shifty:

Do you mean an orbit?

No, I thought I’d mix it up a bit - I was in the school’s 152 Aerobatic :wink:

Of course I meant orbit. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it but it’s been a long day.

Milty wrote:I don't think I cut the LH crosswind leg that much - looks like the GPS dropped out (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Yes, that can be seen from the direct straight track...unless you got very good at straight and level all of a sudden! :D

How dare you doubt my straight and level skills? :lol:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Milty
T6Harvard wrote:Excellent, @Milty ! Thanks for the report. Some challenges in there so a great experience again.

As an aside, will Strava be giving out prizes for fastest and longest run this Year? :lol:

I’ve heard that cyclists get cheesed off if your flight path coincides with a competitive segment. Apparently you can report false records but this time, no cyclists feelings were hurt.

Glad you are still grinning. I haven't flown for 2 whole weeks and it's made me miserable. Instructor txd this morning to check on next week's schedule and I panicked thinking he was going to cancel. All is good, double lesson Monday. It's cheered me up no end!

Crack on with Air Law and Ops, you may need them asap, depending on you school's rules...... :mrgreen:

Yes, the school does insist on air law before sole. Need to knuckle down to it. I’ve passed all of the Easyppl tests at some point but not when I come back to them later on. It’s improving a bit. Just started on ops and there’s a lot of crossover so that’s good.

I'm well into Comms. Am going to ask school to book me in for Comms and Human Performance then I'll have 3 months to sit them.
I do intend to do them before mid Nov but MrT6 has booked us 2 nice staycations so I'm not entirely sure how much revision will get done when :D

Good luck with those exams. Enjoy the break. Mrs M is getting cheesed off with my new obsession :? I might have to slow down a bit as busy with work and building work starting at home next week. I’ve booked a weekly lesson expecting some to be cancelled due to weather but so far only missed 2 I think.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
MattL wrote:Looks like you are doing really well and most importantly are making good corrections for wind and other traffic - cracking stuff!

Thank you. I’m happy with progress in the last couple of weeks. I’ve felt that I’m flying the plane rather than the plane flying me.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Another great lesson today. Struggling to stop grinning again.

8 circuits. 1 flapless, 2 glide, 1 short runway full flap. All bits still attached to me and the aircraft.

@Paul_Sengupta no loops this time but we did have to do a few circuit adjustments.

Got a bit hairy at one point as a heli got a bit close behind us on final and went radio silent. No puppies died though so all good.

Got medical check flight with a different instructor on Wednesday so will be interesting.

8 lessons. 9h30. Smiling.
T6Harvard, johnm, Rob P liked this
By Cessna571
Cracking write ups !

Thanks.

I think Paul’s point is they are called orbits.

A loop is something entirely different, and probably not something you are doing in the circuit.

(unless you’re flying circuits at Fowlmere)

(and never call it a “loop the loop” !)