Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I guess it could have been, but I was pleased with how calm I felt while it was all going on (I’m generally reasonable at staying calm in a crisis). There were plenty of new things and experiences and I was definitely out of comfort zone, but don’t recall feeling flustered at the time. I think it’s good that I’ve been at Gloucester when it’s busy before. I recall thinking when ATC quite firmly told me to go around IMMEDIATELY and acknowledge that hmmm, that seems logical and thanks for being clear on that and just got on with it. He even gave a non-regulatory’ that’s perfect as I was climbing out on the dead side. But I can’t deny the old ticker was pounding as I came in. Anyway, it happened, I’m learning, I feel blessed to be supported by you all and the instructor.
By dalepearson
Congrats on the exam passing and solo Nav @Milty .
Don't beat yourself up about the landing to much, nothing broken, but learning opportunity had.
See how you feel next week and take it from there. Maybe if Gloucester are not doing circuits, a quick flight down to Kemble for a couple of circuits before heading back.
Milty liked this
By AndyR
We all have bad landings. They lessen as we progress but every approach should be for a go around as standard, not an assured landing.

It’s always good to have a greaser as your last landing, but you’ll get used to that not always being the case.

Put more trust in your instructor.

Well done on the nav :thumleft:
Milty liked this
By TopCat
Milty wrote:I guess it could have been, but I was pleased with how calm I felt while it was all going on

Uh huh...
But I can’t deny the old ticker was pounding as I came in.

Well then. There clearly was an effect. Understandably so - I'm making no criticism in drawing attention to it.

Next time, expect it. A couple of deep breaths, perhaps, a conscious refocusing on the landing. By the time you flare, what went before is not important until you're on the ground.
Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Milty wrote:Also forgot to mention that whilst I was on the solo, it was nice to listen in to ATC as they dealt with three deer having a mooch around the airfield. They’d gone by the time I got back.

It was deer which usually prompted a go-around at my old airfield, especially around dusk. Always had to be wary of them being on the runway.
Milty liked this
By Iceman
I had that a Shoreham once, departing 20, just started the roll and I thought to myself, they’re big rabbits sat by the side of the runway a little way along. It was only as I got closer that I realised that they were small deer. ATC were unaware when I reported them.

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Normal positive service is resumed...

Nice morning for flying and my first go on 04/22.

It seems (probably unsurprisingly to most of you) that my instructor was much less concerned about my dodgy landing last week than I was. Flatly refused another circuit session, agreed to a land away at Wellesbourne and back. If all OK, the aircraft was available to get back on the horse with a quick solo after.

Planning the short trip to Wellesbourne was OK (seems stupid really - almost took longer to plan it than fly it). Wiz wheel becoming more natural to use (shouldn't have got SD though - the temptation to just use that is strong but won't help me pass the skills test). Booked out for the first time. No drama although they did seem to think it would be busy (which in the end, it wasn't particularly and definitely been snarled up in a lot more traffic previously). Did the PPR and paid landing fee online (first time doing both of these - again, no drama). I'd already printed out the Pooleys plate so had a rough idea of the layout of Wellesbourne and what runway I would be on. Did the pre-flight again too.

It's definitely nice to be taking off on a brand new runway - could barely feel that we were moving. All very uneventful on the way over to Wellesbourne. SOHJ and landing on 18 was OK - nothing to write home about, no stall warning or greased landing but all wheels, wings, teeth and pride still intact. Another first today - parking on grass (I know, how spoilt are we Gloucester'ites). Good to do it though. Quick brew (bacon sarney smelled great but the W&B with both of us and full fuel is getting a bit close on the 152) and back to Gloucester for another SOHJ onto 22. Bit different flying a new (to me) pattern. Mildly disconcerting that we were called number 1 on downwind to find as we were turning base onto final that there was another aircraft doing the same. Instructor took over and some muttering later we were back on track behind the other aircraft. Again, landing not going to win any prizes but uneventful so instructor happy for me to go off as the weather was so good.

Just did a solo bimble up to Worcester and back - no planning required. Was all uneventful too. As I have been on all my solo time so far, I was respectfully nervous but once I get the first radio call in, the training seems to kick in and everything falls into place. I flew up and over my house - wondered if Mrs M might pop out but should have known better - belly button fluff holds more interest for her than my flying. Still ever hopeful that one day, she might come up and enjoy my new hobby with me but for now, it's just a pipe dream. Back into Gloucester and it was pretty quiet - straight into a SOHJ and first onto 22. Landing acceptable. Whilst I'm getting it down OK and I understand all of the principles of descending, levelling off, wait for the sink and pull back, I don't feel yet that I'm fully comfortable with exactly when and how it should be happening. I'm doing it when it seems right but I don't know if it is or not. Just practice and familiarity I guess. It's a tricky thing because you can't pause and dissect what you're doing and it's over in what seems like a flash.

It's a nice short taxi pretty much direct off the end so was back in good time. Another 40 minutes of solo logged. Sort of wished now that I'd gone a bit further but actually, I'm quite comfortable with my progress. I'm enjoying learning (despite last week - and that's the last time I mention it) so in no rush to build up hours on a relatively pointless bimble.

Next week is hopefully a dual land away to Shobdon for a brew and back again. All being well, the one after that will be a solo landaway. I do like the learning process because at this particular moment in time, I'm not phased about doing a solo landaway. I basically did all the prep for Wellesbourne, it went OK so I feel respectfully confident that I could do it on my own. That said, I wasn't 100% sure where the cafe was when I got there but had I been on my own, I expect I could have sniffed out a bacon butty.

I'm still amazed at how fortunate I have been with weather. Started in August last year and missed very few. Not good for cashflow but hopefully the regularity will pay off as most weeks seem to have been progress. I noticed looking back that @PeteSpencer had a similar (but shorter) experience to mine with a mild winter. Hope it can continue but as said before, I'm in no rush and enjoying learning. Will almost certainly carry on with some IFR training straight after but not counting chickens yet - still a long way to go.

Excited to be doing the radio course with Irv Lee tomorrow too - probably good job it's on zoom as off out for a curry now.

Lesson 22, 25h45m total, 21h55 dual, 3h50 solo
By T6Harvard
:colors:
The above emoji is the nearest I can get to a 'green with envy' face :lol:
Sounds excellent, @Milty ! I loved reading the whole report.

Enjoy the well-earned curry.

I've started my Nav studies :?
Milty liked this
By Milty
As my usual Friday lesson was cancelled for obvious reasons, I thought I’d share some other news with my new aviation friends.

This coming Tuesday, my company will be celebrating our 100th birthday. It’s been fascinating researching some of our background and digging into old documents. We’ve even found some deeds related to some previous owners that are dated as far back as 1700. It’s strange holding documents in your hand that are over 300 years old.

I’ve been employed here for the last 18 years and been leading the team since 2014. I’m so proud to be at the helm as we reach this significant milestone.

For those interested, there’s a little video and timeline of our last 100 years on the link below.

https://www.metallisation.com/metallisation-centenary/

Normal aviation topic hopefully to return next week
By Milty
There is actually a small aviation link. During WW2, we were repurposed to make parts for Spitfires. We have an old sign that we found that says that staff are to keep working when air raid sirens went off and our own spotters would raise the alarm if danger got too close. I knew I’d shoehorn a link in there somewhere.
T6Harvard, lobstaboy, ericgreveson and 1 others liked this
By Milty
Great to be back in the air again today.

Dual nav trip with a land away at Shobdon for an expensive cup of tea. I should start having a bacon butty to make the cost of flying to these places more worthwhile but it has been pointed out that a person of my growing ‘stature’ is going to become incompatible with longer trips in a 152.

Not a massive amount to report today really.

Radio calls need more work. I became complacent today and thought I could do them on the hoof. I can’t yet. Forgot to report where I was inbound from when calling Shobdon and the forgot to tell Glos where I was on the first call on the way back. Not too bad apart from that.

Quite nice to land at roughly the same time as a Coastguard helicopter at Shobdon this morning. I can only assume they were expecting really bad floods.

I was glad it was a dual nav as when we got back, I’d completely forgotten the circuit turn points for 22 as I’ve only flown it a couple of times before. That said, had the instructor not been helpful, I was comfortable with the idea that I might have to eyeball my position relative to the runway.

Reasonable crosswind landing into Glos needing almost all left boot.

Still don’t feel confident with landings but I think it’s coming together. Instructor happy that I’m competent which is positive I guess. Confidence I suspect will come with time.

Nav not too bad. I’m getting better at looking at the bigger features (woods, hills etc) rather than searching out the smaller ones (grass airstrips 5m away).

Another longer solo or a dual nav through Brize again next week depending on weather.

Enjoyed it today. Feels like progress is being made. Found myself thinking about what might I do if I have a pfl for example.

Lesson 23. 27h05m total, 23h15 dual, 3h50 solo