Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I'm about to start my NPPL training this week in a C42 after spending years dithering about I decided it's about time I got on with it :)

I've been digging around on forums and online for recommendations of ground school training materials and although I've made some progress I've not got a definitive answer. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

So far it looks like the Pooleys books and EasyPPL site are well respected but I've not found much feedback on other sites such as Quizaero - are there any good online training sites which aren't just the equivalent of reading a book -from what I can see, EasyPPL is just like an e-book/powerpoint presentation - I'd like to see something which takes advantage of being online with animations and video, otherwise I might as well stick to the Pooleys books (or am I missing something?).

Thanks
Andy
I can't help, it's many years since I took (fewer) ppl exams, this by self study of the Trevor Thom books and some flying club ground school - no online stuff back in the 1980s.

But welcome, and keep us all informed of your progress, we are interested long after friends and family are bored rigid. :D

Rob P
JAFO liked this
I'm not aware of anything with animations or video worth recommending.
Generally my students seemed to get on best with the AFE books, but it's personal choice of course.
Make sure you learn to properly understand the topics, not just to pass the exams (you should be able to sail through them). This knowledge is important. It will help you to get the best from your flying and some of it might save your life sometime.

Edit to add: if you're in a C42 I guess you're working towards a microlight licence (at least initially). You are doing the right thing in looking for general PPL training material - the microlight specific books aren't detailed enough.
However watch out for the exam format, which is different for Microlights and there will be questions specific to micros (eg billow shift in flex wings). There are micro specific practice papers available on line for when you get to that point.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
I’m also new to a PPL (trial lesson on 20 July, hooked and had second lesson last Thursday).

I’m not a great one for sitting and reading through reference books so I’m trying the Easy PPL Groundschool route. Personally, I like the format. I can look through a section when I have a few minutes spare and there are some good tests at the end of each section. It keeps a record of the tests you’ve passed so you can check back on areas that you need to work more on.

I’ve been through air law soup to nuts once and passed some of the tests.

You also get full sample exams to sit and I think you have to pass 3 before it allows you to print a readiness to take the real exam certificate to give to your flight school.

I’m going to go through it ai law at least once more and focus on areas that I can’t recall from my first read through. Once I feel comfortable, I will start taking the trial exams. My instructor has also given me a load of written trial exams which I will work through. I think this will work for me but everyone is different.

Im going to caveat this post in that I’ve not taken any exams yet so can’t comment on whether EasyPPL is any good or not but the format seems good and I’m led to believe the content is good and up to date.

One thing I have learned so far doing the tests is take our time an read the questions and answers er carefully. Several times I’ve dropped a mark that was obvious because I didn’t really read all the answers before jumping in with what I thought was the correct answer.

I would be good to have a learning resources with some animations etc.

Good luck with whatever format works for you.
I have my Airlaw sitting on Sunday, I did a mock last week and scraped by with 80% (though one I did as above and stupidly ticked the wrong box) I bought the reference books second hand off Ebay, but for Airlaw (which I understand has had some significant changes recently??) I used the free EasyPPL course, I will probably stay with them for the other exams as I also like the 'drop in' nature of the learning. I also use PPLconfuser, It doesnt work properly on my pc, many of the questions dont have the correct slides etc. but its free at the moment so worth a look as the question bank is different to EasyPPL.
Wonderbadger wrote:I'm about to start my NPPL training this week in a C42 after spending years dithering about I decided it's about time I got on with it :)

I've been digging around on forums and online for recommendations of ground school training materials and although I've made some progress I've not got a definitive answer. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

What did you end up going with for your microlight training?
Cosgrove 7th. edition is little different from 8th, but more readily available and a lot cheaper. Air law is probably out of date and a new edition should be studied before any exams are attenpted. I am inclined to think the online tutors are the way forward. Personally i read Trevor Thoms series,except airlaw and possibly human performance there's no difference except my ebay copies were vastly cheaper.(i make a jewish scotsman look profligate! )
Cosgrove's Microlight Pilot's Handbook (8th edition) is a good starter but not quite sufficient to cover all the exams. Definitely get a copy of the Skyway Code and then you should be up to speed on airlaw. If you can find old copies of the Trevor Thom series of Pilot's manuals going cheap then get Vol 3, 4 and 6 (and maybe 2 if you can get a recent copy). However, they have far more detail than required for the NPPL which is why I don't recommend spending money on the latest editions; but it is never a bad thing to know more about a subject.

I found Pooley's Microlight Questions and Answers useful for exam preparation. Plus, your flying school will probably do ground school if you feel unsure about certain topics or turn up to the airfield on a bad weather day.