Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I may have mentioned this resource before but as we have a few new students, here it is (again?)...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SbaXfSRl21

This is a link to the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand Guidance for Instructors, which is in fact all lesson, the briefings and airwork. It is superb. No worries about having the wrong rules etc because it only covers the physical actions of flying. The explanations, simple diagrams and reminders of the principles are worth a visit / re-visit by any students.

I know we all have Pooley's but the above really helped me.

Enjoy!
Milty, RobW, bladerunner911 liked this
Talking of New Zealand, I'm a great fan of their Vector aviation safety magazine.

Of particular interest is one from their Sept/Oct 2005 issue which highlights the fire risk of static electricity from high-viz clothing.

I can't post the document here for some reason, but I have asked one of the Mods to allow me to do so (it's only 297kB).

Rob L
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
A quick read through & there are some significant differences. Here are just two.
I was taught BUMFITCH for the down wind checks

As for EFATO then the practise wording is FANSTOP this teaches something different,
By Irv Lee
I suspect there are many different mnemonics that cover checks, but I would recommend calling them pre-landing checks, as at a controlled airfield you could be instructed to join on base leg (or less often final) and if you have them in mind as downwind checks, guess what happens...
T6Harvard, Rob P, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
tr7v8 wrote:A quick read through & there are some significant differences. Here are just two.
I was taught BUMFITCH for the down wind checks

As for EFATO then the practise wording is FANSTOP this teaches something different,

Yes, there are different mnemonics but the flying explanations are fab. Perhaps I should have put a disclaimer, sorry.
Rob L wrote:Talking of New Zealand, I'm a great fan of their Vector aviation safety magazine.

Of particular interest is one from their Sept/Oct 2005 issue which highlights the fire risk of static electricity from high-viz clothing.

I can't post the document here for some reason, but I have asked one of the Mods to allow me to do so (it's only 297kB).

Rob L

Here's the pdf document to which I refer above:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5v20w8t1hkd4 ... s.pdf?dl=0

Please don't wear man-made plastic high-viz jackets or even a fleece (which is also made from plastic) while refuelling or in the cockpit.
T6Harvard liked this