Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Day three and I am still intermittently laughing at how completely my brain, or working memory or decision making bits or something utterly failed to operate when trying to join a half cuban onto a loop.

Three times on the trot I flew two loops together instead. My brain would NOT remember at the appropriate moment that we were rolling here not pulling round.

Half cuban on it’s own sure - still learning them but at least attempted the figure, loop on it’s own yep, improving. Joing them together. Nope. Two loops.

Three times.

Three.

:lol:

I’m assured it’s not unheard of but it was funny!

Fewer pauses to reset my internal gyro needed today too which was very nice indeed as I was utterly cooked yesterday!
T6Harvard, Cessna571 liked this
By T6Harvard
Quote " I am still intermittently laughing at how completely my brain, or working memory or decision making bits or something utterly failed to operate "

Not in the same league but when I failed to stitch simples together this week my instructor actually said he couldn't get inside my head, could my husband? Well no, of course not, I have enough trouble myself! That did make me laugh though.
By Rob P
But @leiafee it doesn't end here.

Now you need an aerobatic share.

Rob P
leiafee liked this
By WelshRichy
Absolutely amazing, well done Leia! And I am very much looking forward to some videos... :thumleft:

Ever since @Paul_Sengupta took us for some impromptu loops in his Bulldog I've had this hankering to do some Aerobatics training. It was a brilliant experience. Maybe next year once I've got my other course completed (which includes spinning in any case) I may, just may, follow your lead down to Ultimate High and sign up for an Aerobatic Rating course. :D
scd975 liked this
By leiafee
T6Harvard wrote:What surprised you?

How knackered I was at the end of each day!

And the same thing as with any bit of learning - which I ought to be used to by now - all those littke moments of “oh yes this bit was way harder earlier…”

Like the point at which doing things like aileron rolls or loops felt actively like a rest in the middle or end of a session :D
T6Harvard, AndyR liked this
By leiafee
AndyR wrote:I know how much you have suffered in the past with the potential side effects, so this is a real achievement. I bet that grin is very very wide :thumleft: Now keep it up so you don't lose your 'g' tolerance 8)

Rob P wrote:Now you need an aerobatic share.

Yes, coninuation flying out here in the wilds of west Wales will indeed be the next challenge!
Rob P liked this
By T6Harvard
leiafee wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:What surprised you?

How knackered I was at the end of each day!

And the same thing as with any bit of learning - which I ought to be used to by now - all those littke moments of “oh yes this bit was way harder earlier…”

Like the point at which doing things like aileron rolls or loops felt actively like a rest in the middle or end of a session :D

:lol: :mrgreen: :thumleft:
By johnm
@leiafee I'm lost in admiration :thumright: :thumright:

I hate aerobatics with a deep and meaningful hatred, same with fairground rides, I can't cope with more than 1g it seems.