Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Yes, a different world.

I've no intention of starting an FI course, and as I only fly my own aircraft the rest of those figures can be gained simply from looking at the last few pages of my logbook and subtracting the end total from the start total.

I'm not sure that qualifies as analysis.

Rob P
Rob L wrote:
GrahamB wrote:...complete with Tippex...
I personally avoid Tippex (other products are available) because it implies hiding something.

It doesn't even count as a logbook until the weight of the tipped exceeds the weight of the rest of the book. :D
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As an IT dinosaur who doesn’t know one end of a spreadsheet from the other and with only paper logbooks, there is no way I would sit down right now and try to transcribe 27 years of flying into electronic form.

But a log book back up is essential against loss/theft; in my case I take a photo copy (nowadays a scan) every three months .

( I also keep my logbooks at home and never carry them in my flight bag/ leave them in the car- but that’s another topic.)

However to the OP who is starting from scratch I would strongly recommend starting an electronic logbook in parallel with a paper logbook.
It will simplify matters enormously way down the line when you need to look up for licensing , medical , in surance or other purposes , stuff like :”total hours on type”, “ total hours flown in last xx days ” or ‘“total hours SEP/MEP, “ etc etc .

Of course I would have to leave it to others to recommend which electronic logbook :wink:
johnm, Grelly liked this
Thank you all for your previous responses and I just wanted to provide a little update (not sure if I should have started a new thread).

I had my first flying lesson at the weekend in a fixed wing microlight (birthday present) and it was fantastic. I must admit to being pretty nervous beforehand and for the first 30 mins or so but the last half was amazing, especially as we went near to where I lived so the family could see me (albeit in the distance). We could not get over the house due to restrictions and the weather.

I purchased the non-descript logbook (first hour recorded) as suggested and have also started an electronic version as well.

I am now going to book my next flight in a non-microlight to see which one I prefer and then decide which route to take based on cost, time, location and my fitness :).

Rob
Rob P, Grelly, T6Harvard and 3 others liked this
Hi Rob, I’m a recent licence holder having passed in May this year.

I went down the NPPL route. A couple of reasons, it’s cheaper to fly microlights (I paid £130/hour for my lessons and minimum is 25 hours).

Also, once you pass, a further 3/4 hours gets you a SSEA rating.

I’m happy to fly with just 1 passenger or solo, so for now, my NPPL M is more than enough. I also have no intention flying abroad.

So don’t discount it.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Edit: I should have read the whole thread before replying... But I wrote all this lol

Thought this video was pretty good. :thumleft:

Maybe define what you want to do with your flying. The above details some considerations. Cost, passengers, luggage, (usable luggage!)

I'm biased towards microlights and made a Carp video :lol: (the website changed that word to carp but I think you know what I meant)

I erroneously thought flying was always too expensive for me. Microlight s offer a very affordable route. (£4.5k plus a bit, normal petrol hangerage about £100 a month) That said I could really afford light sport too. I should have done some more research 10 years ago. Rather than leaving it until now.

With the new 600kg Microlights there is even less In between them now. But you need to consider if you want to do night flying or IFR on your license eventually as I can't do it on a PPLM. Ah and the abroad stuff as Matt says though I thought you could on a certain number of days or something. :?: But hundreds of farm strips in the UK.

Whatever you pick it's important the UK has more GA pilots so go for it.... And flying is for winners in whatever aircraft. :thumleft: :lol: it also seems to be a good community here.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this