Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
For the first time in my life I experienced grass and whilst I only did about 50mins in the circuit at Barton I think I’m converted, who needs a asphalt, concrete runway when you have a field and a wet one at that :)

Ted from LAC was really good, I liked him a lot super clear with instructions whilst also letting me find my feet.

Have to say I wasn’t expecting it to be so bumpy and forgiving and the approach for 26 at Barton is interesting to say the least, cutting power before you get over that last hedge to hit the numbers…

Was also really shocked how quick everything was as they have super tight circuits but after two I was in the swing of it and started to enjoy it.

Gave me a massive confidence boost as well, I’d always feared Barton one because it was grass and two it’s short or shorter than I’m use to.

I wonder do people who learn on grass have similar concerns or issues with hard runways if they have had limited experience?
Rob P, JAFO, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:For the first time in my life I experienced grass and whilst I only did about 50mins in the circuit at Barton I think I’m converted, who needs a asphalt, concrete runway when you have a field and a wet one at that :)

Try it in the winter and you'll find out who needs a hard runway! :D
rikur_, JAFO, tr7v8 liked this
By Fellsteruk
I was being a little sarcastic…

Barton is anything but smooth (I’m sure there are worse) and I get the longer, softer, wetter etc the performance is impacted but it was fun and not as bad as I thought it would be even in the rain.

Winter flying in my opinion is some of the best not to mention early sunset for night flying so I won’t be abandoning the very smooth, long and illuminated hawarden anytime soon
By Rob P
I trained on hard, and on setting out for my first grass landing a good time after I qualified I asked the CFI from where I was renting the Warrior "What do I need to know about a grass strip"

His answer, "It's like tarmac, but green" wasn't wholly accurate or comprehensive, but was a great confidence builder.

He did elaborate after checking the length and other available details.

Rob P
T6Harvard, JAFO, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
By lobstaboy
Fellsteruk wrote:I wonder do people who learn on grass have similar concerns or issues with hard runways if they have had limited experience?

I once took a student in his AX2000 microlight to Deenethorpe for a practice cross country navex. He'd only flown on grass. Deenethorpe is an enormous full size WWII tarmac runway. The AX2000 can be a bit floaty if your approach speed is too high.

It was a very hot sunny afternoon. As we crossed the end of the tarmac at about 50' the thermal off the runway was so strong we started to climb. And kept climbing to about 200'. Half way down the runway we eventually had to side slip brutally to get down.
By Cessna571
I like Beccles, half hard, half grass.

Don’t tell your passenger…..
“wtf, is THAT the runway? is it long enough???”

The AstroTurf at Sandown is now not microlight only.

I took off from it, and it really was like green tarmac, but slightly better.
JAFO and 1 others liked this
By rdfb
Rob P wrote:He did elaborate after checking the length and other available details.

I trained on grass, so I haven't specifically been briefed on it ever. Am I missing something? What do people learning to operate on grass get briefed on about it?
By UncleT
rdfb wrote:
trained on grass, so I haven't specifically been briefed on it ever. Am I missing something? What do people learning to operate on grass get briefed on about it?

The key briefing from my instructor is to keep a significant back pressure on the yoke/column all the time during taxying, take off and landing, in order to protect the nosewheel from bumps.
tr7v8, davenuk liked this
By lobstaboy
UncleT wrote:
rdfb wrote:
trained on grass, so I haven't specifically been briefed on it ever. Am I missing something? What do people learning to operate on grass get briefed on about it?

The key briefing from my instructor is to keep a significant back pressure on the yoke/column all the time during taxying, take off and landing, in order to protect the nosewheel from bumps.

Depending on where you are, tarmac can be very bumpy too. Looking after the nose wheel (if you have one) is important whatever the surface.

Grass doesn't need a special briefing because it's easier than tarmac.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:For the first time in my life I experienced grass and whilst I only did about 50mins in the circuit at Barton I think I’m converted, who needs a asphalt, concrete runway when you have a field and a wet one at that :)

Try it in the winter and you'll find out who needs a hard runway! :D

Our 815Metre grass strip is flyable all year round:

Only thing that stops us is a foot of snow. :wink:

I learnt on grass and have flown from a grass strip for 27 years.
I estimate that only 15% of my total flights have been from hard.....

Peter :roll:
By Sooty25
Cessna571 wrote:I like Beccles, half hard, half grass.

Don’t tell your passenger…..
“wtf, is THAT the runway? is it long enough?..

And Beccles new tarmac is sooooo smooooth!
By Rob P
rdfb wrote:What do people learning to operate on grass get briefed on about it?

I am afraid that some thirty years on I can't help with recalling what was covered. However it was all rather irrelevant in the end as the major difficulty I encountered was that the Sales Director and Senior Salesman of my Irish agents at that time decided to meet me at the field and carefully positioned one car either side of the strip, approximately at the midpoint. What in my mind had been an uncomplicated landing with acres of unobstructed grass either side became an exercise in keeping the Warrior perfectly straight for fear of collecting a car with the wingtip :shock:

Rob P