Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Knolly
Hi all,

I have just started my lessons with the goal of achieving my PPL and I was wondering are the starter kits such as Pooley's or the Flightstore one worth the investment?

I know I wont need it all straight away but if there's a saving to be had by buying it all together at the start I'm all for it!

Cheers,
By Rob P
No
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's a no from me, too.

The printed flight guide, if you want a hard copy at all (and you probably won't need one), should be left until you really know if you want one, as it will probably be reprinted by then, with changes.

The chart may well have been updated by the time you get into navigation too - an out of date one is useless so leave it as long as you can before getting that.

If you're going to get a posh flight case, then you should definitely combine it with a white shirt with 4-bar epaulettes on the shoulders :wink: . Or you could use a cheap bag until you figure out whether you really a) need something like that and b) want to walk about advertising Pooleys for ever. :pirat: :pirat:

Likewise the hi-vis jacket, unless you're learning somewhere that requires one, of course.

Otherwise, buy the rest of it as and when. I very much doubt there'd be much of a saving overall.
By Rob P
You can buy most of the books secondhand, caution though they are not too old, and with air law it really does need to be the very latest issue.

Start looking for a used CRP-1 (whizz-wheel) having first established what the new price is so you don't get ripped off.

Headsets are difficult. Your flying school may, or may not provide them. You will need Bluetooth and Active Noise Reduction (ANR) eventually, but lashing out a Grand at this stage could be seen as unwise.

Rob P
By Rob P
Grab it ^^^^ @Knolly

Rob P