Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By OlliAllen
Hi,
Im 15 currently going through flight training and on Sunday my headset decided to pack in and no longer works! :roll:
Any recommendations/any headsets for sale that would suit me?
Olli
By OlliAllen
Slightly unsure of wether to go for a more top range headset as ill be using it a lot. However ideally id like to spend as little as possible. Maybe somewhere in the middle would be good
By OlliAllen
Beaker wrote:I got a David Clark H10 13.4 after seeing tons of recommendations for them. They'll last for years from what I hear :D

Does anyone else recommend David Clarke’s?
By Rob P
They are great for well-heeled lovers of retro.

Rob P
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OlliAllen wrote:
Beaker wrote:I got a David Clark H10 13.4 after seeing tons of recommendations for them. They'll last for years from what I hear :D

Does anyone else recommend David Clarke’s?

Yes, I bought that headset secondhand, it's absolutely fine
By Fellsteruk

100% solid quality was my first and still use now for passengers/backup. My advice unless you have the $$ to burn is get a good quality value headset like the DC and you won’t go wrong then spend the £700 you just saved not getting a A20 or Zulu on more hours in the sky.

:)

My instructor who I did most of my training with and who’s been doing this for 20+ years flying all day had a set of DC and when I asked him the same question when I was looking he couldn’t speak any higher for their comfort “that’s subjective though” customer service, quality and realizability.

You won’t regret having a DC set in your bag I’m sure of that.
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
OlliAllen wrote:Does anyone else recommend David Clarke’s?

Yes, they are good, as long as you don't mind paying over £300 for a £100 headset.

Passive headsets should really be relegated to the £80-£120 price bracket these days.

Once you go ANR you'll never want to go back. A SEHT H30-75 is only a few quid more than a passive DC.

Of course if you get a passive DC second hand for under £80 then you should do ok.
Danny liked this
By Danny
I agree with Paul on this. I'm planning on treating myself to ANR in the near future but managed to buy a second hand Peltor 8006 from a forumite to use in the meantime for well under100 squids. I'm extremely happy with them and they are often seen on ebay.
By riverrock
A large number of high hour GA pilots end up with tinnitus, caused by exposure to loud noises over an extended period of time. If you have the money, go for Zulu 3, PFX or A20.

The mid range headsets are a good compromise for many, such as the SEHT mentioned above. Not as comfy, higher clamping force, not as good noise reduction as the top of the range list but not bad.

Passive headsets have less to go wrong, and with minor repairs can last forever ( my club has a pile of DC headsets for members to use, although pretty much all are now in need of repair from faulty cables). That are much less comfy ( clamp more to your head) and keep less noise out, so harder to hear the radio. Long term, if a very regular flyer, I'd be worried about tinnitus.

Don't rule out getting your current headset repaired, depending on its value.