Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Things have been progressing with my Nav, an I'm due to fly into Duxford tomorrow with my CFI for a check flight, and then do my first Solo XC to Duxford on Friday. Any tips on approach/landing at Duxford? (coming in from the South to Royston).

Wayne
By Rob P
Simple as anything

Downwind joins only. No joining overhead. The FISO are a good lot and may offer you a straight-in. Be prepared for this, if you have yourself all psyched-up for a circuit you can always refuse, no explanation needed.

All circuits are to the South anyway, just make your mind up early if going for grass or hard.

I use grass in and hard for departure, primarily because I can never see the markers for the grass when taxiing out (very obvious on approach)

Rob P
Micromouse, StratoTramp liked this
By Micromouse
low&slow wrote:For any licenced airfield your first reference should be the eAIS. Look for Duxford under AD2 Aerodromes in the left side menu.

Already have that, I was actually looking for something a little less dry...... but thanks

W
JAFO, Rob P liked this
By JAFO
I went today and it was quite busy but they were very nice and helpful.

As all joins are straight in or downwind it's really straightforward. Have a look at their website for the avoids, look out for the BP roundabout.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Ah yes, they like base leg for the westerly runway to be quite a way out, turning final at the BP roundabout.

I once flew the 'Classic Wings' circuit, base leg inside the M11. They were a bit not impressed, for reasons I can't fathom. :D

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:They were a bit not impressed, for reasons I can't fathom. :D

I don't see why they can't allow people who are able to fly the narrower circuit do so. Some places even suggest it if they know you're capable.

I think it was Cholet, in France, where they say in the AIP or the website or something that you should try and keep a tight circuit to avoid overflying as much of the town on final as you can. The town has expanded up to the road, and the airfield is just the other side of the road. So I did. I avoided the town completely, flew in over the road, turned and landed. The FISO was bemused..."You don't need to come in *that* close!"
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
I think it's all to do with annoying Germain Greer. Too close in and you miss her house.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
As our strip is to the NE of Duxford and is on a 32 mile final for 24, I always try and get a straight-in or a L base join:

It makes no sense flying right past the downwind for 24 only to do a 180 and join the downwind.

Particularly as Stansted zone is not too far away ...... :wink:
By Micromouse
Managed to find the downwind, and landed on 24. fantastic welcome from the marshaller, but was completely thrown by the fact the mashaller was at 90 degrees to me. every book I have ever see I'm assuming the marshaller is in front.

anyway got the clearance and got my solo nav booked to Duxford on Friday, subject to weather.

Wayne
JAFO, bladerunner911, Rob P and 2 others liked this
By Micromouse
Forgot I never followed this up. Many thanks to you all who replied your help was invaluable. The Monday got cancelled due to weather, but I managed my Duxford solo on Tuesday. Really enjoyable, stressful at times a few mistakes, but made it… and parked next to a B17 and had to wait for a Spitfire-it doesn’t get better than this :-)

https://youtu.be/kkYjM4uRvLg

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob P, JAFO, tr7v8 and 3 others liked this