Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

So I'm in my 30s, never really considered learning to fly until a few months ago, never been near a light aircraft, but somehow I have become keen on the idea over the last few months.

I'm in the West of Scotland, where the weather is frequently cloudy or rainy, notwithstanding the hot dry weather these last few weeks. My nearest airport is Glasgow International, but Prestwick is not too far away and I understand there are some smaller places dotted around that maybe have flight schools/clubs (Cumbernauld, Strathaven maybe, possibly others).

Does anyone have any experience with flying clubs in the west of Scotland that might help me pick? Or even just flying in the west of Scotland - am I being overly pessimistic about the weather cancelling a large percentage of flights?

In more general terms, is learning to fly at a very large busy airport to be avoided? Or is it more a case of book a test flight at a few of them and decide from there? If so, what positive signs or red flags would you be looking out for if you were doing it all over again?

Thanks for tolerating my naivete :-)
G
gnudoc wrote:...what positive signs or red flags would you be looking out for if you were doing it all over again?

The red flag I see blowing in the breeze, is this one…
...never really considered learning to fly until a few months ago, never been near a light aircraft, but somehow I have become keen on the idea over the last few months.

To go from never having considered flying to deciding to learn in a few months is, I would suggest, a tad unusual. It's a lot of money to spend on a 'whim'.

My suggestion would be to combine finding out about schools with ascertaining whether it is really something you want to do. Start with having a few trial lessons around the various schools. That way you get a flavour for the schools and more importantly whether you like being near light aircraft. :wink:

To answer the question, many learn to fly in Scotland.
gnudoc liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gnudoc wrote:am I being overly pessimistic about the weather cancelling a large percentage of flights?

This isn't just a Scottish problem! Peeing it down in South Wales at the moment.

I though the weather was always nice in the west of Scotland, at least according to Misc here and the photos he posts... :mrgreen:
Nick, gnudoc liked this
By Forfoxake
Miscellaneous wrote:
gnudoc wrote:...what positive signs or red flags would you be looking out for if you were doing it all over again?

The red flag I see blowing in the breeze, is this one…
...never really considered learning to fly until a few months ago, never been near a light aircraft, but somehow I have become keen on the idea over the last few months.

To go from never having considered flying to deciding to learn in a few months is, I would suggest, a tad unusual. It's a lot of money to spend on a 'whim'.

My suggestion would be to combine finding out about schools with ascertaining whether it is really something you want to do. Start with having a few trial lessons around the various schools. That way you get a flavour for the schools and more importantly whether you like being near light aircraft. :wink:

To answer the question, many learn to fly in Scotland.

Miscellaneous makes some very good points, particularly about having a trial lesson with various local schools.

I too learned in my mid 30s, although not exactly on a whim. I was brought up near to Renfrew and Abbotsinch Airports and had been interested in aircraft for as long as I could remember. Glasgow Airport was too busy even then so I learned at Prestwick and Cumbernauld, It took me 18 months and about 55 hours to get my licence but I learned in Scottish weather and picked up invaluable tips from other pilots FOR FREE about flying in Scotland. I am now approaching 3000 hours in light aircraft and 3-axis microlights, mainly flying in Scotland, so do not regret learning in Scotland.

If I were doing it now, I would probably get a 3-axis microlight licence first, particularly with the imminent increase in the microlight weight limit to 600kg. So I suggest that you consider adding the microlight schools at Strathaven, Balado and even Perth to your potential trial flight list.

However, with no slight on these particular schools, remember the 3 golden rules:

1) Do not pay in advance
2) Do not pay in advance
3) Do not pay in advance

PS You could also try gliding at Portmoak.
Nick, gnudoc liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:To go from never having considered flying to deciding to learn in a few months is, I would suggest, a tad unusual. It's a lot of money to spend on a 'whim'

I'd had a passing interest in flying and aircraft as a lad (along with a myriad of other interests) but never thought having a licence would be something that I could aim for. When the opportunity to have a trial lesson was plonked right in front of my nose though (and how that lesson gripped my attention), there was never any doubt that I would continue.

39 years and 10k+ hours later, I can safely say it's been (still is) a blast!

Go for it, it's only money... :thumleft:

As far as the weather in Scotland goes, Prestwick is one of the more reliable places, often nominated as a diversion airport.
Nick, gnudoc, T6Harvard liked this
By Dodo
I didn't learn till my Mid 30s and only then because I happened to move to a medical practice that was within a mile of Shoreham Airport. I'd done a few gliding lessons as a teenager but never reached solo standard, and dabbled with radio controlled model aircraft. I was immediately hooked by my trial lesson in a tatty Tomahawk and, 30 years later, some 2000 flying hours richer in experience and equivalently poorer financially, I am still flying.

Can I reiterate the earlier post of "Don't pay in advance." I would add "Get a medical first before spending significant amount of money" unless you are contemplation flying only aircraft that can get a licence issued on a self declaration.

ISTR that Prestwick had the most days on which the weather was flyable (albeit only part of the day) of all UK airports. (Related to the changeability of the weather there of course).
gnudoc liked this
F70100 wrote:I'd had a passing interest in flying and aircraft as a lad (along with a myriad of other interests) but never thought having a licence would be something that I could aim for. When the opportunity to have a trial lesson was plonked right in front of my nose though (and how that lesson gripped my attention), there was never any doubt that I would continue.

Not quite the same as having zero interest and deciding to commit prior to having been near a light aircraft, never mind having had a trial lesson.

Some questions to be answered before, or at least in parallel, to selecting a particular school, and committing to the time (cause it's not just money :D ) and expense of learning to fly. Which is what I suggested in my post.
gnudoc liked this
By riverrock
I'm a member of Prestwick Flying Club (not to be confused with Prestwick Flight Center), living in Glasgow. Its very much a members run club rather than a dedicated school, but you'll find probably the most experienced group of instructors in the UK ( instructors include ex-RAF test pilot; current and former airline pilots; an aircraft designer - I think the youngest is 50!). There was a waiting list of people wanting to fly but best to contact the club to get a more up to date picture.

Prestwick airport is quiet enough that there are no real restrictions on learning to fly there. They require clubs to book if a student will be doing circuits, so they don't get too many in at once (the Glasgow schools often fly to Prestwick to do their training). I don't know where you are based, but the weather is noticeably better in Prestwick than Glasgow. Prestwick is also pretty much at sea level, so is less likely to be clouded in than Cumbernauld or Strathavan.
There will be days when weather stops you anywhere in the UK. its part of the learning process to try to understand that. If you are going to be flying after getting your licence, getting used to the local weather is important! It can be frustrating at times, but worth it!

Do "shop around" and get some experience - do some trial lessons, drop in on the various clubs / schools around and have a chat. I'd offer you a flight if I could get myself a bit more organised (I work full time and have a 1 year old)...
gnudoc liked this
Wow, I had no idea there'd be so much interest in this post! And so quickly!

Thank you for all the kind and helpful responses, particularly for the concern that I might be diving in on a whim, only to regret it later.

A few responses and follow-ups (sorry if this gets very long):

My suggestion would be to combine finding out about schools with ascertaining whether it is really something you want to do. Start with having a few trial lessons around the various schools. That way you get a flavour for the schools and more importantly whether you like being near light aircraft.

Yes, that's the plan.

I may have given a false impression. I've been interested in flying machines and in the concept of flight (including space flight) since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Many of my childhood books and toys were planes and helicopters, and I devoured anything to do with the principles of flight in high school. That never translated into imagining I could learn to fly, and boring adult life pushed it to the back of my head along with various other obsessions until recently. Over the last few months, I've been devouring youtube videos by private and commercial fixed-wing pilots, trying to decide how ridiculous it would be to pursue this further.

I haven't yet decided it's not ridiculous. I'm just far enough along that asking friendly strangers online about it doesn't seem too stupid. I've been looking at the websites of a couple of flying clubs that offer trial lessons. But before I even spent that money, I wanted to know if you wonderful people were going to laugh and tell me that the idea of learning in the west of Scotland was absurd.

I would probably get a 3-axis microlight licence first

Thanks, I heard someone else mention that too (I think it might have been the flying reporter on youtube). What's the reasoning? Just that the requirements are easier and therefore less time and money spent before getting the license? Any other specific benefits?

Do not pay in advance

Thanks, that confirms what I read elsewhere, much appreciated. A trap I could easily have fallen into.

Get a medical first before spending significant amount of money

That sounds like good advice. Thanks. From what I've gleaned so far, I would pass it, but it would certainly be good to be sure before sinking several thousand pounds.

I'm a member of Prestwick Flying Club (not to be confused with Prestwick Flight Center)

Awesome. So comparing Prestwick Flying Club with, let's say Glasgow Flying Club - would you strongly recommend the Prestwick Flying Club over GFC? Because the airport is quieter? Because you reckon the instructors are better? Because of intangible reasons that I just have to feel out for myself by getting taster flights at both? Or are these completely unreasonable questions?

Prestwick airport is quiet enough that there are no real restrictions on learning to fly there.

This kind of seems important to my naive brain, though I've yet to see anyone else really make much of it in the context of learning to fly. In fact the Glasgow Flying Club website sells the busy nature of Glasgow airport as a bonus.

drop in on the various clubs / schools around and have a chat

The dropping in thing - I've seen that mentioned in a couple of places - do flying clubs welcome the idea of non-members just waltzing and having a chat and a drink with whoever's around? How is that working in covid times?

I'd offer you a flight if I could get myself a bit more organised (I work full time and have a 1 year old)...

Very kind of you to say that - maybe I'll bump into you at some point. :-)

Again, thank you for all the kind interest and advice, I had expected maybe one or two people to have read this post this week!